It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The part of prepping nobody is talking about and could be a reality

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Right now I see people saving up YEARS and years worth of food and supplies in their homes.

What people aren’t talking about is what is happening in Ukraine. What if you are forced to flee? Yes yes I know, Bugging out, bugging out.
BUT what if your Bug out location is forced to flee. This is actually happening!

There are people that have had to leave their only piece of luggage and some, sadly even their pets.
Stuff is heavy, moving stuff is sometimes difficult if not impossible during conflict.

It is very hard to envision an actual invasion in the US. There are other scenarios too, nuclear fallout,
Weather related events (some maybe man-made). What happens if the grid or water is attacked and you have to get on the move?
Maybe you don’t want to move but are being forced by authorities.

So what am I suggesting? A couple of things.
Some people call it a bug out bag.
I think sometimes you might have to go even lighter. A suitcase can be incredibly heavy. A modest backpack is probably your best best and that might even be pushing it in some cases.

Make sure all your most important documents are in a thin binder. It should all fit. Passports, birth certificates, marriage certificates.
Take photos and have those on your phone or a drive of some sort.
Think about if your house was on fire, what would you save if you only had 5 minutes. Make sure those thing are easy to scoop up and take with.
In reality there is probably not that much that is really that precious, we think there is, but there really isn’t.

Family photos! Make digital copies of everything. Keep only the most precious old/heirloom ones in a safe waterproof container.

If things are as bad as people are making it out to be, now is the time to read up everything you can about foraging. Most of the US has food all around us in every direction, we just don’t know it. This is how people ate for hundreds of years. People ate for survival not for deliciousness, something most of us can’t imagine!

Water is #1 in any form of survival, if you don’t know how to get this or make potable water, you are going to be in trouble from the get go.
Learn how to make fire, everyone laughs at this but you’d be surprised how many people are unable to do this. Practice now, I know how but I am still going to practice. If you don’t know how, learn to read a paper map (what once was old is new again). That sounds funny, but just give a map to anyone under 30 and ask them to drive you to an unknown location just using the map, no GPS, no Phone, No Navigation….just a paper map,…See how that goes.

I’ve purchased a lot of herbal books, old cook books, and am memorizing everything I can.

So what if we never have to use any of these things, That would be AMAZING, but it is nice to know/learn these things instead of baptism by fire!
Good luck everyone, may the odds be with you!

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I won't be 'bugging out' but I am prepared for an extended power grid failure. My hubby had a lot of fun creating and experimenting with rocket stoves, so at least we'll have full stomachs. If it comes down to people killing each other for food, that's not a world I care to be in.

One thing's for certain; the elite will be safe and well fed in their bomb-proof bunkers. Those cockroaches will hunker down until they've rid the world of opposition.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I was a religious prepper in the early days. After a few years of looking at areas where catastrophe has struck, I realized storing large amounts of supplies were a waste of time and money, for me.

I am too old to worry about hanging around for any length of time if we are hit with a catastrophe. The first thing is, if it is that bad, I am not going to take supplies away from those that have a better chance of making it than I do.

I have my little bug out bad that I keep at the door. One small backpack, it holds mostly utility items an a first aide kit. The best thing that I have done to assist with withstanding a catastrophic event, is to learn what edibles that are right in front of my face, that I have walked on, pulled up, and cut down, in the past, that may be the only item that helps me make it through one more day.

Heavy prepping may make sense for those that have bunkers, or a cohesive community, but if you are run out, flooded out, burned out, or blasted out. They are not going to be of much use.

Commonsense prepping for me now, is light prepping. I basically have a basic three months worth of stores, that I normally keep on hand anyway, because I am old, I live in the woods, and I just don't go into town to shop that often.

My grandmother was a medicine woman and her motto during the Depression was,"No one that comes to my house hungry, will be turned away without something to eat, unless I have nothing to eat". She said we will break bread together, or starve together.

This was well known in the community. No one took advantage of her, and they all would bring to her what little they had, or would find. Mother said she always had a pot on the stove. She was very familiar with the plants of the woods, roots, flowers, and grasses. My Mother says the worst mistake she ever made was not paying enough attention when her Mother tried to teach her the old ways. I am trying to learn the old ways. I think that may be my greatest gift to those around me, and give me purpose if things get that bad.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I was a religious prepper in the early days. After a few years of looking at areas where catastrophe has struck, I realized storing large amounts of supplies were a waste of time and money, for me.

It really hit me when I saw some people that fled Kyiv and then being told the area they fled to would probably have to be evacuated again.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
I won't be 'bugging out' but I am prepared for an extended power grid failure. My hubby had a lot of fun creating and experimenting with rocket stoves, so at least we'll have full stomachs. If it comes down to people killing each other for food, that's not a world I care to be in.

One thing's for certain; the elite will be safe and well fed in their bomb-proof bunkers. Those cockroaches will hunker down until they've rid the world of opposition.

Look for their exhaust systems, and for their energy source. Most have to have a way of creating air intake and removing it. I don't see that many being able to have an underground energy and waste system.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Look for their exhaust systems, and for their energy source. Most have to have a way of creating air intake and removing it. I don't see that many being able to have an underground energy and waste system.

& the fact that so many brag and do a MTV cribs type of show off of their “bunkers”..
If the worst comes they can live in their underground coffins and think about how they contributed to that type of world.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

& the fact that so many brag and do a MTV cribs type of show off of their “bunkers”..
If the worst comes they can live in their underground coffins and think about how they contributed to that type of world.

Well you need to go somewhere. I suggest you all need to go back to the 50s mentality of moving to nowhere. You know the places that really have nothing of value to Russia to nuke like ID, southern OR etc. Then you live a good distance from a small town and you are already bugged out. If you live in lets say LA you are F'ed no matter what you do. If you do not die quickly you will be eaten in 3 weeks.

edit on 16-3-2022 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Well you need to go somewhere. I suggest you all need to go back to the 50s mentality of moving to nowhere. You know the places that really have nothing of value to Russia to nuke like ID, southern OR etc. Then you live a good distance from a small town and you are already bugged out. If you live in lets say LA you are F'ed no matter what you do. If you do not die quickly you will be eaten in 3 weeks.

and if you are a fatty, you likely have nice marbling, so take up running first.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Well you need to go somewhere. I suggest you all need to go back to the 50s mentality of moving to nowhere.

If you look up nuclear and military hit zones, what you are saying is 100%.

There is a large swath of land that poses no value. There are probably other reasons for that too, hard to get water, hard to get food to grow.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 12:08 PM
link   

There is a large swath of land that poses no value. There are probably other reasons for that too, hard to get water, hard to get food to grow.

Southern OR has plenty of all, ID is also good though boring as hell.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Bya reply to: JAGStorm

Jag: Half of those people fleeing their bombed our homes...medical issues of all kinds...ON PRESCRIPTIONS. NOT ANY MORE.

These people leave knowing...shortly, without life saving meds to maintain...they for sure will be dead.

There are no refills. No pharmacies. FEMA and Nat Stockpile doesn't keep meds for all conditions. Zero.

You have kids? Do they have scripts? Asthma, ADD, allergies...worse?

Where these folks are escaping...many heart patients...like me...know without meds ..and there won't be ...are walking dead.

So....mom n dad got meds? Kids? How long can you/me/they/us last without our meds?

PS I have personally seen the stockpile. It's little...

edit on 03225331America/ChicagoWed, 16 Mar 2022 12:11:53 -050011202200000053 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 03222431America/ChicagoWed, 16 Mar 2022 12:13:24 -050013202200000024 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Jag: Half of those people fleeing their bombed our homes...medical issues of all kinds...ON PRESCRIPTIONS. NOT ANY MORE.

I am on ZERO prescription medications. Oh, dr’s have tried to prescribe stuff for me but I refuse.
None of my kids are on anything. My husband is on blood pressure medication (his choice) but I have herbal solutions for that. If push comes to shove.

I suffer from the occasional migraine, I talked to my neurologist and asked him sincerely, I said I don’t like prescription medication, what else could he recommend. He told me about several vitamins & nutrients that might help. They have absolutely almost cured it. He also no longer works as a neurologist, that’s too bad because he really helps people.

What people might also find, if they survive the initial conflict and actually lose weight a lot of their medical conditions that require medication might just go always (blood pressure, diabetes, etc)

Remember that show biggest loser, wasn’t it amazing how when they dropped weight they suddenly didn’t have diabetes?
(Type 2)

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 01:58 PM
link   

just a note about water. If you have a pool, or have a neighbor with a pool, as long as it's treated correctly, it can be used and a useful collection method for rain water. So don't piss in it.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

just a note about water. If you have a pool, or have a neighbor with a pool, as long as it's treated correctly, it can be used and a useful collection method for rain water. So don't piss in it.

I am on well water with a deep aquifer. If power goes out I know how to extract water manually.
I also know the back of my property has easy access to water but would have to purify it.
If those both fail, I am walking distance to a small river.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Prepping really is different for everyone, for example I live in a very rural area in the mountains of Pennsylvania.
If the grid power grid went down that would suck, but I will be fine.
I already have everything I need at home, and im surrounded by prime hunting lands so I dont need to go anywhere.
People that live in metro areas will have it the worst and the least chance of survival in a SHTF situation unless they get out.
So in that case, their bugout bags should be suited for travel over anything else, keep it light.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 02:10 PM
link   
If the fam can get here, they will be staying in our little house in the country, in our little neighborhood on an inland lake. We are prepped for food and purified water, flushing toilets with buckets of lake water, etc. and our neighbors are adequately armed, I believe. We all have gardens as well.
But if it comes to nukes, I'd just as soon step outside and get fried right away than try to survive that hellstorm. I believe I know where I am going in the next life, so not a concern. I just hope my grandkids don't suffer.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Totally agree. The ultimate bugout plan would be to keep moving and camp in a different spot each night, as you make your way on down to Patagonia.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 02:26 PM
link   
All things considered if I knew the bombs were incoming and had the time there is a overlook on the Iowa side by I-80/680 that has a nice view of Omaha. Last item on the bucket list. See an atomic explosion. And have a hand gun ready if the radiation sickness gets too bad. With my diabetes I know I wouldn't live long in a SHTF situation. So go see the show and afterwards get on my bicycle and see how close I can get to downtown Omaha before the end.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

originally posted by: nugget1

Check out all the DUMBs scattered across the US. Fully self-contained with their own energy source according latest speculation and 'leaked' info.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Revelation 6.

12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join