It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How far are we from the real economic freak out?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I noticed at first people were complaining about gas. Then everyone was talking about it, almost an obsession.

Now it’s food. People are starting to hoard and already talking about “victory gardens”. I mentioned it before people like to look
At the Great Depression with rose colored glasses, but there were farmers that all they did was farm during that time, and some of them STARVED! All it takes is crop failure, bad weather (sound familiar), pest problems and lack of fertilizer (sound familiar)?

The stuff these people are wanting to grow is kinda funny. I want to see people survive off of mint and tomatoes.
I live surrounded by farmland, people have already been stealing crops. People have no qualms about walking into a farm field and just taking something that is not theirs. Farmers are getting ready, dogs are being trained. It’s going to get ugly.

I honestly don’t think we are going to run out of food, I think we are going to run out of affordable food! I think after gas costs and housing, people will not have much left for food.

Housing, my son mentioned he noticed farmers putting shipping crates and other types of structures on their properties possibly for makeshift housing.

Also… Been saying this for years, a government that gives is a government that can take away. All those people thought they were getting their student loans paid off……Lord have Mercy!! Not only are they not going to get paid off, they are going to go active right when everything costs more. What do you think that is going to do to a huge segment of the population… I saw this coming a mile away.

I don’t think we are far from a complete economic freak out, we are at the top of a rollercoaster ride, hearing that click click click, before we descend over the top…

edit on 11-3-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Are there many crops to steal this time of year in Wisconsin? Or was that already happening last year before prices started to inflate?

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Inflation and warmer weather will bring on more extreme dangerous behaviors.

A man in Chicago filled up his SUV last night, and intentionally drove into a tree on a residential street at 90 miles an hour, killing both him and his wife.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: joejack1949

Are there many crops to steal this time of year in Wisconsin? Or was that already happening last year before prices started to inflate?

Last Fall, early winter. heard from several people.
Some of it was not easy to get to either. I’ve lived here a while, last fall was the first I heard of these types of thefts.
Prices were already inflated in the stores for the items being stolen.
I have a feeling it’s going to be much worse this coming growing season.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Actually come to think of it... I had a plant stolen from my back yard last fall. Not food, but still a "cash crop" if you catch my drift.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Ummm…probably about 8 months out…

Right in time for the winter season…

I’ll be sipping mojito’s on a beach by then…wondering if the shorts I’m wearing are considered…overdressed…

YouSir
edit on 11-3-2022 by YouSir because: I…can…

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I saw a piece in a blog about how we are dropping our gas supplies dangerously quickly. We're going to ne in '70s territory soon, and it will be before the Nov. elections and a chance to change Congress enough to force some movement.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This thread reminded me that I need to plant some green onions next to the patio door to use in salads. I usually got them planted already, planting them when the price of green onions is high in the store is the best time. In the summer I just plant them in a rectangular planter on the deck, it is much easier picking them there than in the garden.

Oh sorry about being off topic, just planning for the food shortage coming up.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I have a coworker who will be learning the hard way why bad economic policy and paying "a few dollars" more for things matters. She voted Biden.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I have a coworker who will be learning the hard way why bad economic policy and paying "a few dollars" more for things matters. She voted Biden.

I have an acquaintance that is telling people to stop complaining about gas, it’s gone up before!

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 01:14 PM
link   

The West show signs of a collapse.

And yet the sanctions are punishing Russia?

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: ketsuko

I have an acquaintance that is telling people to stop complaining about gas, it’s gone up before!

Well we had this conversation not long after the election. I was talking about tax and economic policy being an important factor, more important than many social issues because those won't matter if the country isn't stable. She said she didn't understand why people cared about those things because they didn't impact her. I tried to explain exactly what we see now, but she shrugged and said, "So I pay a few dollars more."

Karma sucks.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Honestly Jag, I"m happy it did not go this high 15 years ago. It got up to the mid $4 range with signs it was going higher. So for me, this has been a constant expectation with a decade and a half of grace tossed in.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: 19Bones79

The West show signs of a collapse.

And yet the sanctions are punishing Russia?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed.

😢

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Over $10 USD per gallon in the UK.

It's always been expensive here but this is beyond ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I would say 6 to 8 months.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 01:58 PM
link   

We mostly have sheep, cattle, or bison ranches in my area, and a ton of cannabis farms. There are also some vineyards. All but the vineyards have been seeing a lot of theft of their livestock or crops for a while.  

I believe you are right by saying that we won't run out of food, but instead that it likely won't be affordable for many.

I'm finding myself feeling both guilty that I can likely absorb any amount of inflation and worried about the others who can't. Something must be wrong with me. I've never had such feelz for people before. Recently, I had to take my dog up to Portland for a MRI, and while driving past all of the homeless people, I almost felt ashamed that I was easily throwing down some serious cash for my dog. At the same time, I take much better care of my dogs than I do myself, so I don't understand the feelings I am having about it. 

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: joejack1949

I believe asparagus and cruciferous vegetables like Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage would be close to harvest time in northern fields right now.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 02:06 PM
link   

The reason for the gas, oil to rise is not because of the inflation, bad polices but also do due to the sanctions agaisnt Russia.

They claim that Russian economy would be dead soon? will it? I keep reading comments how everything is going rising in Germany and elsewhere in Europe heavily bad.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 02:08 PM
link   
3 pack box of Kraft Deluxe macaroni and cheese. Last week was $5.34. This week was $7.24…poverty food indeed.

Looks like you are gonna have to get the 5 box pack powdered kind for $5.74 and pray that you can afford the milk and butter.

And since a pound of bacon is approaching filet mignon prices, the good news is I have seen ham steak “reasonably” priced.

But seriously, get used to eggs and beans for your protein requirements. Because unless you are growing your own or eating long pig, meat is going off the menu soon at this rate.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join