It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Bug’s Life: Ticks Now Live for Up To 27 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I never really thought about how long a tick could survive as it was not something that was at the top of my 'want to know list'. I figured like most bugs a season or a few years at most then bye bye bug.

If you think about a tick just waiting for a meal to walk by and being successful at attaching itself to said meal some of this story makes sense I suppose. This article is about one species of tick, yet I doubt there has been the time or the research spent to discover just how long others can live. Sleep well ....

Whether it’s arachnids or insects, many people are squeamish about bugs. This is especially the case with ticks, which evoke repulsion because of the way they burrow into the skin and suck the blood of their victims. Add to this the fact that ticks can also spread diseases like Lyme disease.
As if ticks couldn’t get any more repulsive, now a scientist at Binghamton University has discovered a new record for the longest living ticks–approximately 27 years–setting a new record in the field of entomology.

thedebrief.org...

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Surprising for a tick. Tarantula's can live a long time, my bud has one thats 30 + years old, my oldest is about 10.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I wonder if this particular tick has a dormant period? Some bugs will be dormant for years, then spring up, via some condition.

So, this was a very long study, 27 years plus, apparently some of these ticks survived 8 years with no food introduced.
edit on 11-3-2022 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I have found that chickens and guinea's will find all the ticks in your yard if you let them roam. I think the tradeoff is free chicken poop on the sidewalk , yuk. 27 years they say. Probably has to go dormant to survive winter.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Look into the bio-weapons experiments the US military worked on post WWII.

They called their little pets ... vectors.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Look into the bio-weapons experiments the US military worked on post WWII.

They called their little pets ... vectors.

Ummm…and when they escape confinement…and eradicate the human population…

We can call them…wait for it…

Victors…

YouSir

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I read that common ticks, around here it is the American Dog Tick mostly, can live without feeding for two years.

We've had a problem with them for years now. First nothing for decades then wham, one year the area is infested and it's a problem every year now. In spring and early summer I'd pick up one or two daily just walking out the front door to get the mail or putts around the house.

I started collecting them in a one gallon pickle jar and experimented on them. They are smarter and more aware than people will believe and contrary to what the news reports, they will jump down on you from ten or more feet up in the trees. They sense your presence and actively jump on you from a distance. They sense motion, scent and heat, they can actually see pretty well too.

The males will get a quick meal and drop off the host, but the female will attach and engorge on blood until they expand to the size and shape of a grape. They are hard to feel crawling on you and their bite is absolutely painless. You need to extract them as soon as possible to avoid diseases.

ETA: You can employ landscaping techniques to make your yard less attractive to these pests. A putting green short lawn and keeping leaf litter off the ground helps, but deer or other mammals carry hundreds of them and they drop them off everywhere they go. Dogs get them a lot, cats not so much, opposums eat them and are clean compared to other animals like rabbits. Birds rarely get them, but they will attach to birds if they have to (so I've heard, never seen it though).
edit on 11-3-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
They are smarter and more aware than people will believe and contrary to what the news reports, they will jump down on you from ten or more feet up in the trees. They sense your presence and actively jump on you from a distance. They sense motion, scent and heat, they can actually see pretty well too.

They certainly come down from the trees around here ... with uncanny accuracy.

These boogers cause you to become allergic to meat. Haven't had that happen yet, and Sawyer's (I believe) is helping me avoid that. Treating your clothes is simple, effective and long-lasting.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Surprising for a tick. Tarantula's can live a long time, my bud has one thats 30 + years old, my oldest is about 10.

I think tarantulas are sex dependent. The females live longer than males even if the males never risk breeding.

I know a lot of common aquarium fish will live way longer than people think if given proper care. Most little corydoras cats can push 20 years for example.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Doesn't information like this Tick you off?

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: vonclod

I think tarantulas are sex dependent. The females live longer than males even if the males never risk breeding.

I know a lot of common aquarium fish will live way longer than people think if given proper care. Most little corydoras cats can push 20 years for example.

Yes, you are correct, the boys only live, maybe 6 months to a year..if lucky, past maturity. More often than not, they do survive breeding though. Most tarantulas you buy today, are captive bred(most species on CITES list), I buy them as babies, it's a roll of the dice, very hard to tell the sex till they get a bit bigger. I have ended up with quite a few boys over the years.

This is my latest..just a pic off the net. This, is one, I will not handle, one of the few Ts that has some toxicity.
www.youtube.com...
chrome.google.com...

I will also note, that ticks are related to spiders, tarantuls, scorpions.
edit on 11-3-2022 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Pretty bugger, but I could never deal with a spider like that. Although I would potentially keep a jumping spider. For some reason, they don't creep me out like the other species do. They're all fascinating to watch though.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: vonclod

Pretty bugger, but I could never deal with a spider like that. Although I would potentially keep a jumping spider. For some reason, they don't creep me out like the other species do. They're all fascinating to watch though.

I do see a lot more vids of jumping spiders as pets, I would have one, some look pretty interesting.

top topics

join