It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your daily job?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Randomname2
Jedi Knight.

What are the odds! Two of us in the same thread!

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAMEDDDoc
I’m a Research Associate for a private research university in Internal Medicine and Cardiology. It’s basically a scientist but in academia when you don’t have a PhD and have a peasant masters degree, you can’t officially be called a “scientist.”

I personally specialize in infectious disease and immunology. The work I am involved in is focused on the cardiopulmonary system, cardiovascular disease, nuclear medicine, and lung and peripheral artery disease. I also delve in vaccine development, hydrogels and delivery to tissues, and other nonsense.

I’ve also dabbled as an EMT, technologist, army medic, and military medical training instructor for combat medicine. Fun times, I think the worst experience was infantry medic. Lots of sleeping on the ground for some reason during all 4 seasons.

I think you're selling yourself short.

Research scientists with PhDs and MDs may make the world a better place, but practical scientists are the ones keeping it running. They're keeping people alive for the next 2 weeks and two months while research scientists are still looking for their boots. It doesn't matter if it's a novel disease or logistics for trash route collection, it makes our world work.

I'd alwyas prefer somebody experienced in field science with all other things being equal. I'll take one of you "not real" scientists any day of the week.

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You're also one of my favorite personalities on the boards.

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

You're also one of my favorite personalities on the boards.

Agreed!!

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

LOL Yeah, thanks to all that work, Laborers DON"T do, he did win a few arm wrestling championships during those years. So that was fun.

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc

It's not the letters that make you a scientist. It's what you do with what you know and continue to learn. Your colleagues will know your worth.

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc

I’m a Research Associate for a private research university in Internal Medicine and Cardiology. It’s basically a scientist but in academia when you don’t have a PhD and have a peasant masters degree, you can’t officially be called a “scientist.”

You're an underdog therefore but that's not degrading term for me. Myself I did not go the traditional route too, learning the mechanics trade and then do my master (not a study master/bachelor either). I did it in one go on basis of my education through a special program that enables people like you and me to use their talent. I still had to work like an apprentice though in a car shop, but more compact and more school, as most of the engine work and physics I already knew about, so I skipped that part on my own risk to face it in the final practical exam.

Much respect for the infantry medic service, not for my country though but I respect it especially because you were medic. You also helped with questions here before, you are far from a peasant, rather much appreciated when your name / avatar scrolls in view.

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene
a reply to: rukia

Gathering metadata? I'll play

Pissing people off by offending them, armchair warrior by night, ATS internet expert by day.
The rest of my time I design everything that turns a barn into a house, heating, plumbing, ventilation.

Oh hell yeah. That's what's up.

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 07:42 PM
link   

I'm in Pirate Shipposting lmao

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

A little of everything...

The end..

Now I drink coffee and have fun with people online in the mornings.

We all know you're the manliest of men. Lol. But for real that's awesome. I'd like to do that in another life.

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
Motor vehicle mechanic, specialized on engine/turbo tech, block modifications mostly RB26/28/30 also BMW inline sixes but I also do suspension setups for tracks and dial ins. Second side job is race track instructor.

Love that. I’ve wrenched on a lot of BMWs.

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

I was gonna post but i cant compete on that level of manliness!!

Suffice to say, i make big pieces of steel, smaller.

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I don't think I've ever had any interaction with you here though I've read a bazillion of your posts. We sound very similar. Old man that can build just about anything...

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I'm a software engineer.

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Like the one I admit to on my tax forms?

I'm a Mason. As in Brick, Block, Stone and Refractory.

I do everything from relining Blast Furnaces to building a Pizza Oven in your backyard or a Fireplace in your house, or a foundation FOR your house.

I was an IT guy back in the late 90's - early 2Ks as well.

Glad to hear your hard work paid off and you're doing something you like, that's what it's all about.

I actually like masonry work, especially when you can design and create something like a stone fireplace or a rock wall out of actual stones. You can get some interesting patterns with regular stones you find in the field or in rock piles by farms.

Put in quite a few cement floors and basements along with my mason, have a lot of masonry tools and a compactor and an old powertrowel. It gives a person satisfaction pouring a basement because it usually lasts longer than the house built on it if done right. I was my mason's mason tender, I took the houses and worked with him but could only lay twenty blocks per hour but I am a perfectionist. I usually did the two courses of blocks for garages I built because my mason also did lots of jobs on his own, so we poured the slab then I would put in the blocks. I usually worked putting in the corners on houses while he and his brother ran the sidewalls, hard to get more than twenty blocks an hour doing those jobs...but I still only got twenty on the sidewall fillins too, so they stuck me on the corners which they would only get maybe twenty five on.

I did brick and tile work too, being also taught by Tino who worked on stuff like that most of his adult life, he retired at eighty years old, he could outwork almost anyone till he retired. I never got to put in torazzo, Tino and his brother went to Michigan Tech to do a job with their old employer, but I was never in the union, so I couldn't work the job...not even as a subcontractor to his old employer because of the union. It sucked, I did want to learn how to do that.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Okay, so I initially thought this thread was to badly describe your job.

I'm an automation, robotics, and controls engineer, but currently I'm working as an industrial electrical mechanical technician at a well known bakery.

I basically do damn near everything and do it well. I could design an entire factory and it's processes down to the nuts and bolts if I wanted to.

My dream job would have been biomechanical engineering, and I would have loved to work with a team designing and manufacturing prosthetics, but it's too late for that.

Hobby wise I do repairs on cars, bicycles, motorcycles, various instruments, cameras, drones, watches, whatever.

I like making little toys that do silly things like the old toys, but now with small programs.

I also like photography and videography. I sew, crochet, knit, draw, write, paint, sculpt, make jewelry, leatherwork, metalwork, woodwork, gunsmithing, machining, and I need to get around to getting a 3D printer.

I do firearms instructing on the side.

I play music, but because of my schedule it's damn near impossible to find a band to jam with.

I also am involved in local and state level politics. I'm a county vice-chair of a small political party, but I also have a few other political type groups I'm a part of geared towards individual causes.

I've said enough in my posting history that if someone was paying attention they'd know exactly who I am.

I've got suspicions about certain posters here about their identity from when they joined and what they talk about, because I often tell people to check the site out and join.

Pretty sure the regional chair is on here from time to time. I don't know if he's checked out the site recently. All the Trump supporting during his presidency might have pushed him away. I know for a fact a few others from when they posted their photos in the photo threads.

But nevermind I'm rambling.

If you know me give me a wink and a smirk the next time we shake hands.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 07:51 AM
link   
local govt highways/streetworks officer. I currently give fines to utilities when they make mistakes on work permits.
but mostly I'm doing other stuff on the internet as the day job is far too easy, and takes not very long each day.
I used to do highways asset management, GIS, computer mapping (ie using maps on a computer, not like the electronic mapping of computers like in a modern car), etc. not exactly saving the world, but it pays the rent.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: VulcanWerks

We had a BMW E30 M3 and built it to the S14 stage 1 mods (2.3L, 220kW/300PS). Striped naked down to the sheet metal to save weight, we had to put back some weights into the rear for traction though.

You can bore out these from 93.5 to 94.5mm and change stroke to 87mm and they have 2.5L and around 360HP but of course need to change pistons, rods, crankshaft, fuel system too. The block can take it.

edit on 11.3.2022 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I teach pronouns and fix dangling modifiers. Here's a vid of me in action:

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

You changed your hair color.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join