It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan’s ‘killing stone’ splits in two, releasing superstitions amid the sulphur springs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 12:41 PM
link   
According to The Guardian, a volcanic rock known as the "death stone," which tradition claims possessed a malevolent spirit and killed anyone who touched it, was discovered split in two in Japan on Monday.

According to The Guardian, "the changed corpse of Tamamo-no-Mae, a lovely woman" — traditions say she was actually a kybi no kitsune or nine-tailed fox spirit — who participated in a secret plot "to kill Emperor Toba, who reigned from 1107-1123" was found in "the Sessho-seki, or death stone."

Predictions of dark forces being unleashed by an evil vixen hung over social media in Japan on Monday after a famous volcanic rock said to kill anyone who comes into contact with it was found split in two.

According to the mythology surrounding the Sessho-seki, or killing stone, the object contains the transformed corpse of Tamamo-no-Mae, a beautiful woman who had been part of a secret plot hatched by a feudal warlord to kill Emperor Toba, who reigned from 1107-1123.

Legend has it that her true identity was an evil nine-tailed fox whose spirit is embedded in the hunk of lava, located in an area of Tochigi prefecture, near Tokyo, famous for its sulphurous hot springs.

Its separation into two roughly equal parts, believed to have occurred within the past few days, has spooked online users who noted that, according to folklore, the stone continually spews poisonous gas – hence its name.

While the stone was said to have been destroyed, and its spirit exorcised by a Buddhist monk who scattered its pieces across Japan, many Japanese prefer to believe that its home is on the slopes of Mount Nasu.

Visitors to the area, a popular sightseeing spot, recoiled in horror at the weekend after witnesses posted photos of the fractured stone, a length of rope that had been secured around its circumference lying on the ground.

Japan’s ‘killing stone’ splits in two, releasing superstitions amid the sulphur springs

"The Death Stone of Nasu Moor" as told by my wife.

According to legend, a Buddhist priest named Genn stops to rest beneath this rock (Sessho-seki, or "Death stone") while traveling across the lonely moors of Nasu. A spirit emerges right away and warns him that staying in this location puts his life in jeopardy, because not just men, but also animals and beasts will perish if they even touch it. The spirit, along with a chorus of other spirits, then tell the priest in poetry how once upon a time there lived a maiden who was as learned and accomplished and she was breathtakingly beautiful. The Emperor Toba-no-In took her as his favorite concubine and abandoned all state duties for her sake. One night, at a feast at the Palace, the lights went out, and a mystical coruscation erupted from the maiden's body, illuminating the entire scene, while the emperor himself succumbed to a great sickness. The maiden was expelled from the imperial presence and flew away through the air to the moor of Nasu, where she resumed her previous shape, that of a nine-tailed fox, based on the representations of the court magician, Abe-no-Yasunari. The spirit appears again, confessing to the priest that it is none other than the wraith of the witch whose story has just been told, and recounts how, after fleeing the palace, she was pursued by dogs and hunters with bows and arrows through the moors of Nasu, the origin, as the chorus obligingly explains, of the Japanese sport of inu ou mono, or "dog-hunting." The priest then uses Buddhist incantations to exorcise the bad demon.

Two prints of "The Death Stone of Nasu Moor" drawn by Yo#oshi for his from "36 Ghosts" series. The image is from an e-book that I have of the prints. I also own a very old physical copy of the "36 Ghosts" collection of prints.

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

Very interesting, I love Eastern legends like this.

Also, this is all we F'n need right now!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 12:46 PM
link   
For those with eyes to hear and ears to see...

why couldn't it be the freeing of the eternal spirit of first love, instead?

I'm not happy with the new order narrative being idly slipped into our feeds, lately...

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Where's Naruto when you need him?

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

They've been doing it for a long time.

The New World Order loves demons.

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Where's Naruto when you need him?

Detained at Area 51

This is a pretty cool story thanks for sharing it

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Thanks what a lovely story.

It's worth a shot, but I suspect LHC to be a more propable candidate to make things go topsy-turvy.

edit on 9-3-2022 by Terpene because: You got to love the yo$hitoshi censor lol

edit on 9-3-2022 by Terpene because: Edit my edit

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Yes, I was reading about this earlier -

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

You haven't heard? Apparently they only got his shadow clone.

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

rofl...

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

See, this is what I was scared of FFS.

Pure evil has been unleashed...

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Heh, I wish that a post-menopausal, pre-dead sociopath with kankles was our only demon to contend with.

The ones who's names remain nameless are the real problem.

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Hmmmm, what might this foretell?

WWIII, maybe?

Yay!

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Who had Japanese death stone on their apocalyptic bingo?

edit on 9-3-2022 by just4fun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

Does that mean six more weeks of evil?

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Gather all the mars picture experts!

I think I see a face there but I won't disclose, to not spoil the data. For science.

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

Heh, I wish that a post-menopausal, pre-dead sociopath with kankles was our only demon to contend with.

The ones who's names remain nameless are the real problem.

Oh frikkin' great.

Voldemort is is running things, isn't he.

Dammit!

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Sheesh that's cursed! Poor Godzilla

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Voldemort is is running things, isn't he. Dammit!

Whelp, we know his name... so it's more likely someone else, although just as fictional all things considered.

"Demons" are real... or at least we can be sure about the demons running in a human avatar.

Although, maybe he who shan't be named IS more real than we think? There might be a reason covid attacked the area of the brain where smell is housed... maybe the dark puppet master in charge has nose jealousy?

new topics

top topics

join