It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Senate Passes Anti-Lynching Bill

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened

originally posted by: 1947boomer
a reply to: lostbook

The term "lynching" as used in this bill is not limited to hanging someone with a rope. As I read it, "lynching" is defined as any time a racially motivated hate crime results in death or serious bodily injury to the victim.

www.congress.gov...

So for instance, Darrell Brooks Jr, who deliberately drove a vehicle into a crowd of mostly white people, can be charged with lynching?

What about the recent spate of attacks on Asians?

It sounds like we're upping the penalty for racially motivated assault. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

No no, not those hate crimes I mean acts of isolated mental illness, which were also a result of white supremacy (TM).

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

I dunno, i’m pretty sure murder is already illegal, and by extension so is lynching.

This sort of thing is just so they can applaud themselves by saying how much good they did when in reality they did nothing at all.

Yep. They are the greatest civil rights activists of all time. LOL It hasn't been very long time since violent hate crimes were a thing in our country. Just let it be. Its not a bad thing. Horrible timing though WTF ARE THEY DOING

Dividing Americans
edit on CTue, 08 Mar 2022 19:20:28 -0600pm2022-03-08T19:20:28-06:00kpmTuesdaypm2022-03-08T19:20:28-06:00k by Crackalackin because: (no reason given)

edit on CTue, 08 Mar 2022 19:22:35 -0600pm2022-03-08T19:22:35-06:00kpmTuesdaypm2022-03-08T19:22:35-06:00k by Crackalackin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Murder is already illegal and heavily punished. This bill is simply pandering for emotionally driven "punish racists" votes propaganda.

Seeing this is gag reflex material. Especially how they don't care or do anything about all the Chicago killings and other big cities.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 07:38 PM
link   
How many laws is this now? 5th or 10th 🔥

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well thank f#©€, it's about time! My friend JUST got lynched the other day!... Well he went to Lynchburg.... OMFG THEY NEED TO GET RID OF LYNCHBURG, HOW RAYSIST! Can we just go ahead and make racism illegal? There HAS to be other pointless things we can do to distract from their failures!

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

I dunno, i’m pretty sure murder is already illegal, and by extension so is lynching.

This sort of thing is just so they can applaud themselves by saying how much good they did when in reality they did nothing at all.

As an black American, I approve....

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Thanks Jussie and Kamala

I wonder if they can retroactively charge Smollett with a hate crime for trying to lynch himself?

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Laws for this have existed for decades already - it's called murder.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

Maybe so in certain circles. Even though lynching is murder it's a specific type of murder that was used to intimidate Blacks. The act of lynching has been outlawed although no one here seems to care.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Maybe next they can free the slaves and stop train robberies! Great job guys!! Keep up the important good work!

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: daboxfan
Maybe next they can free the slaves and stop train robberies! Great job guys!! Keep up the important good work!

Slaves? No response

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

They stack law upon law.

All of these new “laws” wouldn’t be needed if the existing laws were enforced equally and fairly.

They will only selectively enforce these new ones they make. They are laws made to target individuals and political/religious views.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Thanks Jussie and Kamala

This isn't about your political enemies, this is about justice for a 14 yr old boy who was shot, beaten, and lynched for an apparent insult to a White woman in Mississippi in 1955.

I mean, it already against the law to murder somebody. Hate crime? Isn't every murder a hate crime?

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Madviking

Thanks Jussie and Kamala

This isn't about your political enemies, this is about justice for a 14 yr old boy who was shot, beaten, and lynched for an apparent insult to a White woman in Mississippi in 1955.

Actually, Jussie Smollet faked a lynching hoax in Chicago, at the exact time that his good friend Kamala Harris was trying to pass an anti-lynching bill. Coincidence I'm sure.

newsone.com...

It is unfortunate that Smollet tried to take advantage of the situation in this way. However, his stupidity does not change the countless murder by lynching which occurred in the US during slavery times and still occurs even today in isolated events.
edit on 8-3-2022 by lostbook because: paragraph edit

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Madviking

Thanks Jussie and Kamala

Actually, Jussie Smollet faked a lynching hoax in Chicago, at the exact time that his good friend Kamala Harris was trying to pass an anti-lynching bill. Coincidence I'm sure.

newsone.com...

It is unfortunate that Smollet tried to take advantage of the situation in this way. However, his stupidity does not change the countless murder by lynching which occurred in the US during slavery times and still occurs even today in isolated events.

No doubt historically. But where is the evidence of significant cases of lynching based on race, today? This is like the claim in recent years, to a lesser degree, about violence against trans women and especially black trans women. It was made to sound like an epidemic. It turns out to be a minute number. Another example is unjustified police shootings of people of color, which no matter what number they are should be addressed, have been overblown again into some gigantic epidemic. The data actually doesn't support that. It is not a gigantic wave of such events. This is why many of us have come to feel that these narratives are divisive and politically motivated.
edit on 8-3-2022 by Madviking because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Like my thing is, murder is already a crime, as well as attempted murder. Do lynchings not necessarily lead to death?? What defines a lynching in these statutes??

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 12:01 AM
link   

They have only passed it because when they go to bed at night they dream of Mussolini, and need a sliver of support knowing that it is now officially against the law

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Madviking

I hear you.

Lynching didn't happen to Blacks only and this legislation isn't happening in a vacuum. It's happening as a historical referendum on violence perpetrated on others based on skin color.

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Once again the Federal government goes to far. States already have these laws on the books. This is another attempt by the Federal government to make everything a Federal hate crime when they dont like what the states are doing.

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Lynching was never legal.

So how can make it "illegal" ?? 😃

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join