It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A game of chess. ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Was an interesting watch. I think I may have never played Go but only Reversi. Still it doesn't draw me in, I can appreciate the Go players dilemma. Just have to get yourself some Go friends.

Also liked his take on chess, Found it funny he had a "chess month". Only covering the actual game for a short time, Even saying "--Playing chess is a bummer" How he described his feelings on it were good though. One comment on the video, " I've never been so offended by something I 100% agree with." a chuckle.

Maybe I was too harsh saying I hate it, It's more like I hate it and our relationship is some what dysfunctional, But it's me not chess.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

I would hope you have a board at home to put the moves on, to look at. If not then your chess talents are well developed. Win or loss. That is an impressive feat.

Lichess is a great site due to it's low cost - Free no ads, Don't need to register an account to play. Also if you get drunk enough you can send the current world chess champion a message, Probably. I'm sure he has those blocked by now.

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MockusRubot

Both are amazing games.

I joined the go club in my city even tho I rarely have time to go play. I play most of my games online.

On the ogs server.

Chess is a great game too. Just not as dynamic in my opinion.

I appreciate you watching the video lol, it is a good watch.

I really enjoy playing all types of board games but never have the opportunity.

My chess elo ranking is low. Maybe 1300 while my go game is is strong at 2-4 kyu.

I really enjoyed the movie fresh when it was released.

That is chess based. I am exhausted as my writing shows
I need more time in my life

edit on 8-3-2022 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

I am an attacking fool whose hubris is only surpassed by my audacity.

This is an astute description of my MO too, love it how you worded that.

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: MockusRubot

Even now I would say I've basically quit chess, but when online and have a spare moment, Lichess' no hassle games are hard to ignore.
I basically quit for the past 8-9 years. Lichess will be a good way to re-familiarize myself with the game, but people do seem to quit a lot. Quitting is much easier when you play anonymously.

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 12:56 PM
link   

As much as I like Lichess for that ability to just go on and play chess. It is ran by a bunch of authoritarian liberal arts majors, All getting off on the smell of their own farts. Being part of the glitterati of international chess. Who for no reason other than their own selfish desires, Dabble in politics. Parroting the most popular of viewpoints. While not allowing for a dissenting opinion, If you should choose to you will be banned, They will be applauded for it.

Case in point with what I said earlier about how you may not consciously think yourself better, In cases like this it is hard not to. Seeing all the comments on their blog and just the robotic nature of it.#Hashtag. Hearing how people are berating Russian users and every one is wearing a Ukraine flag. Like this is some big huge global awareness. When in fact it is a regional conflict. In which the corporate media has taken a side. Turning these peons into Ukrainian pride parade parrots. It's very tiresome.

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

They let you sneak posts into the first page? I swear this wasn't here. True I have been wanting to buy a chess board. A fancy one, Even though I have no one to play with except the internet.

Hopefully you caught the post by Meathead. Sounds right up your alley.

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

Yeah it may be better to actually play with an account? There is some accountability then - har har

Before the site got as popular as it is now, The anonymous chess was great and full featured. Could do computer analysis to see how many blunders and so on. There was chat. All that was taken away though. With an account you can use it all.

posted on Mar, 9 2022 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I can go up to move 4. Or 5. without a board depending on the opening.

After that i start to lose "spatial awareness". It seems I have an affinity to take things out of the book main lines as quickly as possible. That is Probably another reason I lose so often in correspondence chess..

So yes I have a board I set up when I play that way..

a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I'm curious your favorite opening as white?

And black...?

Respectfully,
~joe

edit on 9-3-2022 by Mike Stivic because: Fixed second reply link

posted on May, 30 2022 @ 03:39 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 07:47 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

<< 1   >>