It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine Still Has Most of its Air Force Intact - Why Does President Zelenskyy Want More Aircraft?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Still waiting to learn why Russia hasn't demolished most of what Ukraine has already.

Because they are a prize for his air forces. Take them intact. Why not?

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: carewemust

For longer than you have been alive, America's number one political enemy state has been the USSR.

Putin's stated goal, of which the Ukrainian invasion is part, is to re-establish the USSR as a power in the world.

... and here you are, seemingly supporting their case? Hmmm...

If asking why Ukraine officials appear to be saving equipment, while asking others to sacrifice theirs, is supporting Putin, then so be it.

It's a logical question based on what the Pentagon says, and my own non-military mind.

If questions of that nature offend you, take it up with your creator.

Seriously, it sounded like a legit question to me.

Perhaps he is holding it in reserve for when the Russians go after Kyiv.

Wonder what all that weaponry sent to Ukraine would be worth on the black market?
edit on 7-3-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 04:56 PM
link   

The 10,000 dead Russians must have had a damping effect on Russia's military and on Putin himself.

Where are they now? And, more importantly, where did they become casualties?

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
What an excellent question!!

Ukraine Still Has Most of its Air Force Intact - Why Does President Zelenskyy Want More Aircraft?

The reason is, because he also needs professional pilots to man those birds.

Zelensky is no fool. He's baiting NATO into a fight with Russia. Zelensky's deader-than-a-door-nail for putting his country on a war-footing -vs- Russia ... instead of simply capitulating and fading into the woodwork. The only chance Zelensky has now is if Russia expands its fronts into other countries.

The Biden administration is trying to goad Poland down that path. Will have to see what happens. If Putin does Poland, I'd imagine he'll roll-up the Baltic States without blinking an eye.

Remember: Putin doesn't much have to watch his back. For him, it's a simple push forward, make sure there's not enough left in your wake to re-group, re-consolidate your troops at the new front lines ... and push again.

This is a good article: www.wsj.com...

It says Congress has to approve helping Poland replace any lost aircraft, and Congress is going on Spring Break this Wednesday. Along with...

On Tuesday, Poland’s President Andrzej Duda said sending jets to Ukraine would risk a war between the U.S.-led military alliance and Russia.

“We are not sending any jets to Ukraine because that would open a military interference in the Ukrainian conflict,” he said at a NATO press conference. “We are not joining this conflict. NATO is not a party to this conflict. We are supporting Ukraine with humanitarian aid, however we are not sending any jets to the Ukrainian airspace,” Mr. Duda said.

It wasn’t clear if he meant flying Polish-flagged fighter jets, with Polish pilots, into Ukraine, or donating planes that Ukrainians would then own and fly. But that same day, Mr. Morawiecki said Poland had no plans to give Ukraine its jets.
Source: www.wsj.com...

If Poland won't render any decisions until the U.S. Congress renders its decision, we're looking at WEEKS before any fighter jets arrive in Ukraine from Poland.
edit on 3/7/2022 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Unless ... maybe ... Biden don't need no stinkin' Congress if Article 5 comes into play.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:06 PM
link   

a reply to: 1947boomer

The 10,000 dead Russians must have had a damping effect on Russia's military and on Putin himself.

And everyone thought he was a blood-thirsty crazy man who would lash out with mega-bombs in anger.

I think he's kinda got a problem with that strategy. He's doing this on the theory that Ukrainians and Russians are one people--all brother Slavs yearning to be reunited under benevolent Mother Russia. If he goes full Aleppo like he did in Syria and treats Ukraine like a sh#hole country, it will be clear that that is a lie and will be rejected even more forcefully by the Russian public. Also, as a practical matter, Ukraine would be an economic basket case afterwards and practically ungovernable because of a massive resistance movement on the part of all the hate-filled Ukrainians that would be created.

By the way, I think Xi would have the same considerations if/when he tries to move on Taiwan.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Where are they now? And, more importantly, where did they become casualties?

I was responding to this post: www.abovetopsecret.com...

If someone online accuses Ukraine of over-inflating the number of Russians killed, that person is raked over the coals by people who think with their heart, instead of their brain.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Because getting new aircraft from anyone takes time, and all it takes is one bad day to lose a decent chunk of your airpower. You don’t wait for that to happen before you start looking for replacements.

That makes sense. Still waiting to learn why Russia hasn't demolished most of what Ukraine has already.

Ummm…because it’s not Russias intent to destroy the Ukrainian military…inasmuch when the Ukrainian government falls and a surrender is enacted…there will still be forces left to defend Ukraine under the newly installed government…

Russia’s intent is also to perform a phased withdrawal of The Russian military…once those goals are achieved…leaving the new government with an intact…but neutered and sympathetic command structure and military…

It’s not that hard to figure out Care…

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Why isn't he bombing the stalled Russian convoys so often talked about in different locales?

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Ukraine doesn't have that large of a Air Force, total aircraft numbers one site says 318 the other 312 of those 140 are combat assuming that they have a 80% readiness rate (wouldn't think their that high), and of those not all are combat aircraft aircraft.

Two sites for sources,

Global Firepower,

2022 Ukraine Military Strength

The second site, Ukrainian Air Force (2022) Current Active Inventory: 175 Aircraft

On the other hand russia has according to Global Firepower russia has better than 1500 combat aircraft planes and helicopter.

you can check the second site for projection on readiness.

If Ukraine took to the skies, what the SAMs didn't get their MIgs would then they would have none. That's why they need more.

edit on 7-3-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:14 PM
link   

At least Putin is giving conditions for ending the military action.

Give up 3 key regions, and I'll end the war: nypost.com...

Since I'm not from that part of the world, I don't know if those conditions are too extreme to accept.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Since I'm not from that part of the world, I don't know if those conditions are too extreme to accept.

Is that anything like: Give me three of your children and I won't kill the rest of your family?

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:21 PM
link   

It's very simple comrade. What is Ukrainian today will be Russian tomorrow. Zelensky knows this, He is just working on brownie points with Putin.

Mm-mm-mmm That delicious western aid. 10 billion here, 5 billion there.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Because getting new aircraft from anyone takes time, and all it takes is one bad day to lose a decent chunk of your airpower. You don’t wait for that to happen before you start looking for replacements.

That makes sense. Still waiting to learn why Russia hasn't demolished most of what Ukraine has already.

Ummm…because it’s not Russias intent to destroy the Ukrainian military…inasmuch when the Ukrainian government falls and a surrender is enacted…there will still be forces left to defend Ukraine under the newly installed government…

Russia’s intent is also to perform a phased withdrawal of The Russian military…once those goals are achieved…leaving the new government with an intact…but neutered and sympathetic command structure and military…

It's hard for me because prior to Putin invading Ukraine, my only interest in Ukraine was the country's investigation into crooked deals made there by the Biden family, Pelosi's Son, and Mitt Romney's son. I don't have a military strategy mind.

That being said, here is something I came across that's relevant to what you're describing: nypost.com...

If Russia isn't asking for too much, maybe Ukraine will agree, in order to end the pounding?

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:22 PM
link   

What an excellent question!!

The reason is, because he also needs professional pilots to man those birds.

Zelensky is no fool. He's baiting NATO into a fight with Russia. Zelensky's deader-than-a-door-nail for putting his country on a war-footing -vs- Russia ... instead of simply capitulating and fading into the woodwork. The only chance Zelensky has now is if Russia expands its fronts into other countries.

The Biden administration is trying to goad Poland down that path. Will have to see what happens. If Putin does Poland, I'd imagine he'll roll-up the Baltic States without blinking an eye.

Remember: Putin doesn't much have to watch his back. For him, it's a simple push forward, make sure there's not enough left in your wake to re-group, re-consolidate your troops at the new front lines ... and push again.

Putin’s army couldn’t roll up a fag (smoke for my US cousins), much less the Baltic States and certainly not Poland. His conventional forces are utter #e. Ohraaa indeed. Bunch of poorly equipped, poorly trained halfwits with little chain of command, poor airforce integration and a navy whose only aircraft carrier is pulled around by tugs.

Russia even try and take on NATO and they get smashed back to the time of the Tsar’s. Of course, the only issue with that is their enormous nuclear Arsenal which is still most definitely significant. So I doubt Putin would start something with NATO, because it ends with either his defeat or the death of the world.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

Is that anything like: Give me three of your children and I won't kill the rest of your family?

Sorry, but I don't know the composition of the area. Didn't know (or care) where Crimea was until 3 weeks ago.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MockusRubot

It's very simple comrade. What is Ukrainian today will be Russian tomorrow. Zelensky knows this, He is just working on brownie points with Putin.

Mm-mm-mmm That delicious western aid. 10 billion here, 5 billion there.

What's crazy is how President Biden is trying to do the same thing President Trump got impeached for.

A Quid-Quo-Pro regarding Ukraine Aid.

Dirty Joe: No Money for Ukraine without Covid $$$ for my friends: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I agree western media is greatly embellishing the outcomes of the conflict thus far.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

It's hard for me because prior to Putin invading Ukraine, my only interest in Ukraine was the country's investigation into crooked deals made there by the Biden family, Pelosi's Son, and Mitt Romney's son. I don't have a military strategy mind.

That being said, here is something I came across that's relevant to what you're describing: nypost.com...

If Russia isn't asking for too much, maybe Ukraine will agree, in order to end the pounding?

Ummm…if Ukraine doesn’t agree…then the rest of that scenario I described will come to fruition…

Perhaps Zelinski…should have thought twice about his continued indiscriminate shelling of Donetsk and Lugansk…in which thousands of civilians were killed…however…we now know that he was just another tyrant…posing as a liberal democrat…in a country posing as a liberal democracy…

Liberal democracies don’t have Neo Nazi battalions in their military…

But that’s another conversation…

YouSir

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Not really much of an Air Force

Not even 90 combat jets?

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Aircraft Origin Type Variant In service Notes
Combat Aircraft
MiG-29 Soviet Union multirole 37 8 are used for conversion training[66]
Sukhoi Su-24 Soviet Union attack 12[66]
Sukhoi Su-25 Soviet Union attack / CAS 17[66]
Sukhoi Su-27 Soviet Union multirole 32 6 are used for conversion training[66]
Reconnaissance
Antonov An-30 Soviet Union surveillance 3[66]
Transport
Antonov An-26 Soviet Union transport 22[66]
Antonov An-70 Ukraine transport 1[66]
Antonov An-178 Ukraine transport 3 on order[66]
Ilyushin Il-76 Soviet Union heavy transport 7[66]
Helicopters
Mil Mi-8 Soviet Union transport 15[66]
Trainer Aircraft
Aero L-39 Czechoslovakia jet trainer 47[66]
UAV
RQ-11 Raven United States surveillance RQ-11B 72[67]
Bayraktar TB2 Turkey UCAV 6[68] As of 2020. 48 on order.[68]

edit on 7-3-2022 by neutronflux because: Fixed numbers…

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join