It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloth face masks ‘lousy’ as protection against COVID-19, other viruses, warns study

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Huh, is this when the collective "I told you so" begins on this topic as well? How many of us have been saying this and saying this for 2 YEARS?

I guess the narrative no longer calls for it. Masks are unpopular so now it's time to tell the truth? Is it the truth? Or is this just another facet of a debate we've never been allowed to see because it hasn't been to the advantage of the government to allow us to know it was happening?

For that, you can reference the other thread I started today about how the government paid the press to present what they wanted as they wanted.

For the new study, researchers from England, Germany, and France looked at the efficiency of particle filtration by woven fabric, which, unlike material used in standard air filters and masks, consists of fibers twisted together into yarns.

Olathe East HS student charged
Using state of the art 3D imagery to see the air flow channels, the research team simulated the airflow through the channels and calculated filtration efficiency for particles a micrometer and larger in diameter. The study, published in the journal Physics of Fluids, concludes for particles in this size range, the filtration efficiency is low.

He explains that the flow simulations suggest that when a person breathes through cloth, most of the air flows through the gaps between the yarns in the woven fabric, bringing with it with more than 90 percent of the particles.

This was self evident to anyone with a brain who thought for themselves, but some kept insisting that masks were somehow beneficial. That we wore them stop particles, no droplets, no to protect others instead ourselves ...!

Sorry, but you aren't doing anything more than making yourself feel better about the whole situation unless you have a specific kind of mask fitted a particular way.

Oh and not even surgical masks are good:

Dr. Sear notes that good masks should feature the “two Fs: good filtration and good fit. Surgical masks fit badly, so a lot of air goes unfiltered past the edges of the mask by the cheeks and nose.”

Something else that has been pointed out over and over again.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 09:07 PM
link   
No one ever said that masks would protect you. They said that they would deter some of the respiratory droplets coming out of your face (that's how this virus spreads, along with the flu, common cold, etc...)

The last time I went to a doctor was 2018. I had flu symptoms, so they made me wear a mask while I was there. Try to keep up.

This isn't even science, it's common sense. Moisture comes out of your face. If there's something in front of your mouth and nose, it's going to catch some of that moisture.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 09:14 PM
link   
As stated above, mask has its place but to think one is wearing it gives total protection against Sars-CoV-2 , it helps but sadly now in this country, mask or no mask, according to NHK over 50 thousand a day are now being infected. The problem is they are saying ANYTHING ABOUT THOSE THAT COMMUTE BY SUBWAY, HMM SOUNDS A BIT FISHY.
What ever new strain of Sars-CoV-2 is out there, it really is taking a big toll here, but now we are going to allow 6500 people a day into the country, so its economics back once again. We just have to live with it.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

The last time I went to the doctor sick as a puppy with the flu because I was having brochities, I was not asked to wear a mask, this was before covid.

But to tell the truth the mask are no very sanitary to once health and I could never stand them, soo I never wore them really and now, hell where is covid? covid what?

I am sure after mid term elections the Democrats will find another version of covid to push on the people until the next general elections.

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I'll take someone who did not read the post for 500, Alex.

I addressed those reasons. That moisture coming out of your face? Maybe 10% is caught. Not nearly enough to have any actual effect.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 09:23 PM
link   
It really is hard not to say "I told you so."

Frankly, I've stopped trying.

It gets me evil looks upon occasion.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I kind of like the colored cloth masks compared to those hospital like N95s. I got some of the free N95s to use for spraying paint and sanding on the truck and tractor though. They work pretty good for that, but if I am doing a bigger job like painting a whole side, I have the painting respirators.

I feel kind of funny coughing in a store if I have a cold, so wear them occasionally to keep from coughing all over stuff in the store if I got a cold. We are not required to wear masks anymore here, but I am not afraid to wear one if I feel like it.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Early on, I thought masks could be helpful. Even did a thread on it, but once I saw a video of someone breathing and coughing in a cheap mask, in infra-red I think it was, I was convinced they were next to useless. Live and learn.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I get it. It seems like it should be of some use, but in the end when you really consider the size of the virus, it just isn't any good. But it's hard, really, really hard to really get how small it is. My husband did a thing with an electron microscope picture of cotton cloth and then did a thing where he made a single pixel analogous to a viral particle. I forget how much he had to blow up the electron miscroscope image to even get it to where you could see the tiny, bright green pin-prick that was the viral particle inside on the gaps in the cloth. That's what brought it home to me that masks really weren't much help.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
No one ever said that masks would protect you. They said that they would deter some of the respiratory droplets coming out of your face (that's how this virus spreads, along with the flu, common cold, etc...)

The last time I went to a doctor was 2018. I had flu symptoms, so they made me wear a mask while I was there. Try to keep up.

This isn't even science, it's common sense. Moisture comes out of your face. If there's something in front of your mouth and nose, it's going to catch some of that moisture.

Didn't country Joe say that wearing a mask will stop you from getting the coof?

Not spreading it, but getting it. I guess you're keeping up with the narrative. They move the goalposts, you step in line.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 05:53 AM
link   

www.cato.org...-controlled-mask-trials-and-other-diseases

a widely respected nonprofit that provides comprehensive, evidence‐​based summaries on various medical topics — found “no statistically significant difference in infection rates between the masked and unmasked group in any of the trials.” Another Cochrane review, of masking and influenza‐​like illness, found “that wearing a mask may make little or no difference to the outcome of influenza‐​like illness … compared to not wearing a mask.”

Some pinheads will continue to argue against the science, but it makes them look like the tools they truly are.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I'll take someone who did not read the post for 500, Alex.

I addressed those reasons. That moisture coming out of your face? Maybe 10% is caught. Not nearly enough to have any actual effect.

Lulz

His knee jerk reaction is a glimpse into the staggering level of cognitive dissonance that is ramping up as the lies fall on their face and their new found identity as "safety czars" is removed.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 10:05 AM
link   

No, no. Those masks were ineffective, sorry, but you have no brain compared to the great scientist that is OP.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Valid conclusions in that article:

The well‐​known distinction between absence of evidence and evidence of absence applies to the COVID-19 context. If face masks save lives — or even if it is reasonably likely that they do — such measures are appropriate and compassionate.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Science Fact: Cloth face masks can't hold a fart in.

this can be easily tested at home... 🤡🌎

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: joejack1949

Valid conclusions in that article:

The well‐​known distinction between absence of evidence and evidence of absence applies to the COVID-19 context. If face masks save lives — or even if it is reasonably likely that they do — such measures are appropriate and compassionate.

yes, that is the mindset throughout the pandemic. It may help, so mandate the sh!t out of it and force everyone to do it, and we can do the studies later, or not at all. I'm guessing you didn't read the rest of it.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Just because I quoted a section of the article that you don't like doesn't mean I didn't read the entire thing. I did read it, in fact.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: joejack1949

No, no. Those masks were ineffective, sorry, but you have no brain compared to the great scientist that is OP.

Cloth masks and paper surgical ones pretty much were. And the physicists used high tech imaging to show how few particles they really stopped. That was the discovery of the study.

The only way you can protect yourself with a mask is to wear a properly fitted KN95 or better and almost none of us do. They reference that too.

The thing you're doing is making yourself feel better in various ways.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Here's a link to the study if you want to stop using Fox as your primary source of information:
aip.scitation.org...

And the physicists used high tech imaging to show how few particles they really stopped.

Not really though... this is what they did:

To understand how woven fabrics filter, we have used confocal microscopy to take three-dimensional images of woven fabric. We then used the image to perform lattice Boltzmann simulations of the air flow through fabric

So they took high quality images and then used a computer simulation to determine that:

For particles with a diameter of 1.5 μm, our estimated efficiency is in the range 2.5%–10%. The low efficiency is due to most of the air flow being channeled through relatively large (tens of micrometers across) inter-yarn pores. So, we conclude that due to the hierarchical structure of woven fabrics, they are expected to filter poorly.

But wait, according to this source (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...):

the minimum size of a respiratory particle that can contain SARS-CoV-2 is calculated to be approximately 4.7 μm

Does the journal of physics justify the particle size they used in the study? I would check but obviously I don't know how to read.

posted on Mar, 7 2022 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: joejack1949

It's a local affiliate and hardly conservative where COVID is concerned. Btw, you might want to check out the thread on COVID vaccine acceptance. FOX was bought and paid for by the government like pretty much every other major news outlet to push vaccines. Right now, they have an election, so things need to change because "science" - political science that is. Btw, where is Fauci? Seen him lately? Or has he not gotten the "science" memo?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join