It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visa, Mastercard suspend all operations in Russia, 'effective immediately'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened
Fair, but from a Russian perspective, if I'm a Visa or MC holder, after seeing this as a blueprint for how "The West" can shut off my credit/money spigot, I'm not running out and signing up for another credit offering from a Western bank.

What do you use when you travel abroad then?

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Fair, but from a Russian perspective, if I'm a Visa or MC holder, after seeing this as a blueprint for how "The West" can shut off my credit/money spigot, I'm not running out and signing up for another credit offering from a Western bank.

What do you use when you travel abroad then?

I always used travelers checks or converted directly to local currency in my younger days when abroad, but since I'm not Russian, I've (currently) got nothing to worry about.

Depending on who you are, if you are the prototypical "oligarch" you've got an address/pied a terre in a Western country, where you can sign up for a "Western" issued CC, so you're right as rain.

Once again, this seems to be a measure that will disproportionately impact the non-elite rank and file Russians.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

"since I'm not Russian, I've (currently) got nothing to worry about"

The ONLY part of this that even matters.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: dontneedaname
The move is expected to accelerate Russian banks’ adoption of Mir’s own cards, which are accepted in a handful of countries including Turkey, Vietnam, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.

The issue for Russians is acceptance abroad which is, minus the above mentioned vacation hotspots, zero for Mir. If a Russian national is traveling and wants to use a credit card they are SOL at this point.

I remember the days of traveling in Europe...and bringing American Express traveler's checks. I also remember (Late 1990s) going to a bank and ordering foreign currency. Using ATMs was not as smooth as today...so there are still options. I remember having VISA ATM issues in Costa Rica or something. I had a backup Mastercard, or extra cash, I don't remember.

So major Russian travel hotspots will accept MIR and/or UnionPay...but problems, or rather inconvenience for others. I suspect the places of inconvenience where MIR is not accepted won't be such hotspots due to fall of Ruble value.

...Just checked numerous charts...ruble has declined against all...the only one where it balances out with recent rates is Turkey as noted earlier. Maybe there are others...but I checked 10+ countries, that's enough for me. The interesting thing is that it has fallen against Belarussian Ruble as well.

Well..it means more isolation and hatred building up (vs USA, EU). That works well. /s

It's like isolating a trouble maker in class, rather then allowing them to "grow out of it." I guess some folks like putting "dunce caps" on others and putting them in a corner. That works well. /s

Well..it all makes sense when you understand the CLANNISH aspect of US Govt and MSM.

well..it's the end times...the system will destroy itself largely.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: PatriotGames4u

"since I'm not Russian, I've (currently) got nothing to worry about"

The ONLY part of this that even matters.

Eh, I think you mistook my statement, and the parenthetical piece is the core of that statement.

If the Western CC/banking cartel can take Russians' access to credit offline, they can do it to anyone.

I'm not big on collateral damage, i.e. cutting off credit cards for Russia's ma and pa Kettle that have squat to do with Putin or his war business.

So this may have people raising their pom pom due to the current target of the sanctions, it should be seen as a troubling trend.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I know what you were TRYING to say (accomplish).

And exactly how dumb it is.

So cut you off at the knees with your own words.

Do you really want a round 2?

That would be even dumber.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: PatriotGames4u

I know what you were TRYING to say (accomplish).

And exactly how dumb it is.

So cut you off at the knees with your own words.

Do you really want a round 2?

That would be even dumber.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe re-phrase your point? If there is one?

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 02:05 PM
link   

"a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

'since I'm not Russian, I've (currently) got nothing to worry about'

The ONLY part of this that even matters"

(post by Ksihkehe removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Depending on who you are, if you are the prototypical "oligarch" you've got an address/pied a terre in a Western country, where you can sign up for a "Western" issued CC, so you're right as rain.

Once again, this seems to be a measure that will disproportionately impact the non-elite rank and file Russians.

Which is who I was referring to when I said 'what do you do when you travel abroad'.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 03:33 PM
link   
...and there goes AMEX suspending operations.

Not surprising...those dirty unvaccinated Russians!

tar them all!

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 03:35 PM
link   

So major Russian travel hotspots will accept MIR...

Uh, no, they won't. Unless you consider Vietnam, Uzbekistan and the few other countries listed as 'hotspots'.

...and/or UnionPay...

I have yet to see how CUP will address the mandatory Chinese bank account requirements for card holders.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 03:42 PM
link   

...and there goes AMEX suspending operations.

Not surprising...those dirty unvaccinated Russians!

tar them all!

They aren't really that big of a deal, they're fourth in the US behind Visa, MC and DSC. It will really get crazy if processors deactivate their terminals and not allow any type of processing.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Add Amex if not already said

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Seems No one would dare go to go against them.has
the world come to a consensus that the world is big enough for freedom and tyranny to exist?
That Liberty and freedom don’t always win, not for lack of popularity but for lack of Those willing to stand up and fight for these rights not given to us by man

Besides, isn’t china run by the cia?

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I've heard some wealthy russians are heavy Amex users.

No idea if true, but would seem to fit their needs.

Do you know anything about this?

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Peace4Freedom4Liberty

c1a is run by china.

Not the other way around.

LOTS of recent evidence to this effect.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I see this a good thing for Russia. I wish we could get these parasites out of our country too.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 05:38 PM
link   

So major Russian travel hotspots will accept MIR...

Uh, no, they won't. Unless you consider Vietnam, Uzbekistan and the few other countries listed as 'hotspots'.

...and/or UnionPay...

I have yet to see how CUP will address the mandatory Chinese bank account requirements for card holders.

Where Russians go - 2015
www.themoscowtimes.com...

Where Russians go - 2018
mitt.ru...

The top destinations for Russian tourists in the first half of 2018 were:

Turkey – 2,281,000 (+40%)
Finland – 1,559,000 (+1%)
Kazakhstan – 1,287,000 (+1%)
Ukraine – 1,074,000 (+8%)
China – 908,000 (-4%)
Thailand – 679,000 (+18%)
Estonia – 858,000 (+5%)
Germany – 591,000 (+4%)
UAE – 545,000 (+52%)

Turkey has remained the firm favourite for Russian tourists following its return to the market last year.

Other key destinations included Poland – 532,000, Italy – 498,000, Georgia – 483,000, Spain – 406,000, Azerbaijan – 349,000, Cyprus – 325,000, Greece – 300,000, Lithuania – 288,000, Vietnam – 281,000, the Czech Republic – 250,000, France – 229,000, and Tunisia – 219,000.

Of the top 9....no Finland? (Is the land border closed or just airspace?), no Ukraine (obviously), no Estonia? (land border?) or Germany.

Of course this was 2018 pre-covid as well.

Not sure about UAE or Thailand. But not many going to Thailand anyway due to their covid paranoia. So folks are flexible these days. I've considered places that I didn't really think about before. And have not thought much about places with too much covid bull#. THe biggest thing is the affordability. Upper class not affected I have to think...drop in ruble stings, but not a show stopper. But how many upper class are in Russia?

Countries reliant on Russia grains, etc..(Like Egypt) - prob are good to go. Egypt vs Ruble has appreciated close to 50%...but Egypt is a relatively cheap country...so I think While Egypt isn't on the list above...it well could be for 2022.

Vietnam could see an increase.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Ksihkehe

All the soycucks that are itching to run to defend Ukraine were incredibly silent when a horse trampled a native woman in Canada.

I'm not aware of the second story... But even without context I'm going to go out on a limb and say the scale of the two are a bit different.

Yes, much different.

Putin has said he is targeting corrupt government actors and neonazis. There is also very scant evidence of this "invasion" being the kind of offensive typically associated with a brutal coup. All evidence points to Russia taking steps to reduce harm. All the things that baffle the military experts aren't all that baffling if you ignore MSM and western propaganda, ignore a lifetime of xenophobia. It makes perfect sense if Putin is being honest about his intentions, which western media deems impossible.

Trudeau was targeting citizens that disagreed with him and the woman being trampled is on video, unlike the various imaginary war crimes in Ukraine that seem to be as evasive as bigfoot.

There is no version of objective reality where western governments have any kind of moral high ground. If a fraction of what Putin says is true then everybody in the west should feel ashamed for what they've tolerated from their governments, they should be anyway for what they've allowed themselves to be subject to.

I'm not at all surprised by many of the armchair patriots suddenly siding with the same media and government that's been lying to them for years, but I admit to some shock that you seem to be falling for it. It's gross that the same politicians calling our elections manipulated, on both sides of the aisles, are claiming Ukraine is some kind of democratic unicorn country. The US installed that government and it's not even suppressed news. They installed it and, as is the American way, they have ignored atrocities in the name of "democracy".

Putin's leadership (and his proxies) has a very long list of authoritarian actions against protestors/opponents. To even bring up Canada and Trudeau in reference to Putin is silly and even someone as a slimy as Trudeau wouldn't dare do a 3rd of the horrible things Putin has done. If Putin is all about getting rid of corrupt government elements then why does he harbor someone like Viktor Yanukovych? Putin doesn't give a crap about corruption or Nazi's this is about power, influence, and his end goals.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join