It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is a Four Day School Week a Good Thing?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:02 AM
link   
There is a massive debate in our state regarding a four day school week.
Right now it focuses on Milwaukee Public Schools. Let me be real, those schools are rough.. When I say rough, I mean it in the worst possible way.

Her resolution outlines this plan: four days of academic instruction, each day 50 minutes longer. The fifth day would be for students to get mental health help and time for internships or community programs. It would also provide prep time for teachers.

The normal parent in me would normally have a knee jerk reaction saying this is crap. The experienced teen mom in me knows these kids are messed up. Covid and lockdowns, and masks and now war looming with Russia has had a profound impact on kids. A lot of people don't want to talk about it.
If you have teens, you know the reality. There is a massive need for mental health care for these kids. We are either going to deal with it now, or have a bunch of messed up adults pretty soon. That being said......

The realist in me knows that four days will most likely not lead to better things, it will probably only lead to less education and that's about it. That's unfortunate because I do think it's time for some kind of education reform. In my mind that doesn't mean less schooling, but more.

Some of the proponents for this are saying the kids can work at "paid internships" on that fifth day. That sounds great, but I know EXACTLY what that means, and it's terrible. My kids school did that for certain students. Guess where they ended up "interning"? Gas stations and other low paying, dead end jobs that needed cheap young labor. Those places also violated labor laws because kids are stupid and don't know their worker rights. I know, i've been hearing these stories for years directly from the horses mouth. To me this is a way to fill low skilled worker gaps legally. They are already trying to change child labor laws in our state.

www.tmj4.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I wonder if they would reduce taxes accordingly?

I know, i know. Stupid question.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

That is an excellent question, and one that you already know the answer,
Your taxes will go UP.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

They should go to seven days a week schooling plus the paid internship.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   

The first thing that came to my mind was that a 50 minute longer school day is not going to be helpful for the kids who already have part-time jobs after school during the week.

For me anyways, I delivered pizzas 2 or 3 days a week during high school. 4-6 P.M. is when I made the most money. If I wasn't able to start work until 5 P.M., I may not have made enough tips to have enough extra cash to buy a bag of weed after work.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Just another idea to place Parents in bad positions as others get an advantage 🤓

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

And seven evenings a week of homework.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

S. Korea!

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Just another idea to place Parents in bad positions as others get an advantage 🤓

Yes, and one of the main driving reasons is that teachers are leaving because they are too overwhelmed.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

reduce taxes? did you read what it is? if anything this would cost more.

first and foremost, who is going to look after the kids while providing prep time to teachers? of course it would mean needing to hire MORE staff. hiring of new people to do all that mental health help, and even in places like Canada where there is socialized medical care, proper mental help is not covered. these the "help" these kids would end up being given, would also likely end up similar to mental healthcare under socialized medical care. that means perhaps ten minutes with the doctor, ending in prescriptions for all sorts of powerful, expensive, mind altering drugs, (and just like with socialized medical care want to bet that that expense is given to the parents to pay for?). plus of course people to organize, run and constantly check on things like kids out doing community things or internships. plus of course hiring extra people to babysit those kids not out doing such things.

so in effect you are still paying the normal teachers, what they have always been paid, to teach four days instead of five, yet still working on that fifth day. and then all the staff to deal with the kids, doing whatever they do, on top of that bare minimum. at the very least causing about a 25% tax money spending INCREASE. to do. i don't even want to think about how much more, if they actually provide the proper, and needed mental health care, which might help a bit, that would be far higher. seriously you could easily be looking at over a couple hundred dollars a week, per child in school, just for that alone.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
S. Korea!

Exactly.

Children here are too soft, I mean that figuratively and literally.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

....the "help" these kids would end up being given, would also likely end up similar to mental healthcare under socialized medical care. that means perhaps ten minutes with the doctor,...
I assumed it would probably mostly be 'group therapy'.

...getting the kids to open up and talk about their 'feelings'

edit on 3/4/22 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:50 AM
link   

So the real reason is to give teachers three day weekends.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Exactly.

Children here are too soft, I mean that figuratively and literally.

Growing up in that kind of household you have no clue......😲😖
One main difference I see between most Asians and Western cultures, education.
To Asians education is absolutely the be all end all. Parents will work four jobs so their kids will get the best education.
Anything less than an A is not acceptable, as in you will get punished, and probably beaten.
If you get an A, you will be asked why no extra credit. Pretty much nothing is ever good enough. Everyone is pushing kids to be the absolute best, in some ways it works, in other ways it is very oppressive.

On the same token, in Korea (at least back in the day) Teachers were considered one of the pillars of society. They had the same "rights" as parents. They could slap the sh*t out of you if deemed necessary. Many teachers were paid off for childrens bad performance/behavior etc. Parents did NOT argue with teachers.

I don't think those things would work here, there are too many kid diddlers and sickos in our schools to give them carte blance.

I do think a good start would be for parents to be a little more involved and put their kids first. Volunteer a bit, just once a year. Other people are making every kind of decision for your kids and then everyone wants to get mad.
edit on 4-3-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Growing up in that kind of household you have no clue......

Did you just assume I wasn't raised by Asians? Well, you'd be correct.

I did get hit by nuns so there's that.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I did get hit by nuns so there's that.

Very close environment! Very close!

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Well let's be honest here... Schools suck at education..

They use a set method with one approach that only works for a few kids. Students should be placed in lanes that are based on their abilities.

That and school basically mirrors a prison.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

That and school basically mirrors a prison.

Prisons and corporate America.

Check in, project project, nonsense, snack, project, mediocre lunch, project, watch the clock, project..Home Free!!!

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Schools for many lower income families are just free child care with the added benefit of education. Kids too lazy or stupid? No problem, we'll lower the bar so parents can continue to work. Inside the next 20 years, when automation takes over even more menial labor, we're going to be in a very bad place.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 09:38 PM
link   

What does it say about us, that we are okay with forcing our kids to work (to do schoolwork) as long as no one profits from them? A menial job would at least create something useful or profitable along with teaching them about meeting their own needs byway of meeting the needs of others.

I think we should just abolish compulsory schooling altogether and only allow schools and internships for those who choose to pay for it or earn it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join