It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warnie and Marsh, Australian cricket mourns, RIP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 09:12 AM
link   

One of the greatest players in cricket... ever
Shane Warne
Suspected heart attack, age 52, such sad news
Today Australia lost Rod Marsh, incidentally famous for drinking 45 beers on a flight from Australia to England on his way to represent his country against the pohms, another heart attack
And a great wicket keeper for Australia
Two Aussie legends in cricket gone, suspected heart attacks?

edit on 4-3-2022 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Heart issues are suspect these days for sure, but if your claim to fame is drinking 45 beers in a row, when you die, if you find that one guy with the shocked face, slap him.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude
That was 30 years ago
And that was not Marshies claim to fame, a true international cricket legend, and use the word carefully "legend"

edit on 4-3-2022 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I only just heard the news the news about warnie, if you are not familiar with cricket, he wore the number 23 on his back, just like Michael Jordan, he was the cricket equivalent of Michael Jourdan-that might put things into perspective.

He was hugely influential to kids in the nineties such as myself. I spent many hours in the backyard and at school trying to emulate him, i was good but a wasn't Warnie, and i don't think another of his calibre in our lifetime. I still remember the boxing day test hat-trick, the keg on legs was agile enough ro take that catch.

So long and thanks for all the fish warnie, you may have been a ratbag off the field, but on it you were a genius.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Rod Marsh was a great wicketkeeper and a tough little bugger.
Fantastic cricketer and as far as I'm aware a good man.

Shane Warne was simply the greatest spin bowler I've ever seen in my life - Muralitharan was a chucker.
The man was a genius.
I also greatly enjoyed listening to Warne when he was commentating - he was knowledgeable and insightful, fair and at times quite entertaining and funny.

Both were great competitors who gave it their all out on the pitch but also highly regarded and respected off it.
Both will be greatly missed.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Muralitharan was a chucker.

...cant really argue with that statement
Though, has brought Sri Lanka into cricket as a nation and have to respect that
Always enjoy the competition of the sport, maybe not so much watching England beat Australia on their occasions

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I love the fact that it doesn't matter how passionately cricket fans support their respective nations/teams they always show huge respect for the ability of others regardless.

When I was a young lad my Dad and older brother used to make me watch the grit and determination of Lillee and Marsh.
Lillee's variations used to amaze me.
I was lucky enough to have a bit of banter with him one day when he was fielding on the boundary when he was playing for Northamptonshire against Minor Counties....he was sound as.
Him and Marsh were great together, a proper double act.

Like I said, for me Warne is simply the greatest, ever.
I know people who played golf with him and they said he was a really good guy as well.
Liked a drink, liked a laugh.....same as Marsh.
Not bad attributes in my book.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Those Chanderpaul and Gatting deliveries are just utterly ridiculous, even if playing on a computer game I could not achieve that much turn, it defies logic

True Genius

Take a bow Warnie, take a bow

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Not a cricket fan but Shane Warne had it all , Warne was a legendary figure in the game and even though I'm not a follower of the game news of his untimely death saddened me today.

In 2000, he was named one of the five Wisden cricketers of the century, alongside Sir Donald Bradman, Sir Garfield Sobers, Sir Jack Hobbs and Sir Viv Richards.
www.bbc.co.uk...

That says it all.

RiP Warnie.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Today Australia lost Rod Marsh, incidentally famous for drinking 45 beers on a flight from Australia to England

It wasn't Marsh, it was David Boon And it was 52 cans of beer.

David Boon downs 52 cans of beer on a single flight

www.cricketcountry.com...

R.I.P. to 2 cricket legends.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Wow. Shocker. Shane Warne.

Rich, talented, young-looking, fit, hollywood teeth Shane Warne.

Retired from cricket then lost a load of weight and reinvented himself.

Wow. Never saw that one coming.

The only Rod Marsh I've heard of was an English football player. Played for QPR and Man City in the 70s. And England too.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Today Australia lost Rod Marsh, incidentally famous for drinking 45 beers on a flight from Australia to England

It wasn't Marsh, it was David Boon And it was 52 cans of beer.

David Boon downs 52 cans of beer on a single flight

www.cricketcountry.com...

R.I.P. to 2 cricket legends.

Yeah well we disagree

www.foxsports.com.au... 83ad79204a970de9da6e15bb682f3

Rod Marsh had originally broke Walters’ record, setting the bar at 51 cans, in an effort that saw the wicketkeeper carried off the plane. Legend has it that Boony was stuck on 49 cans as the plane approached Heathrow Airport, until the pilot was told to make a couple of loops to ensure the record was broken.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 03:34 AM
link   

52 cans of beer = just over 31 pints.
A long haul flight from Australia to the UK, takes about 22 hours.
By reckoning that would have been doable back in the day.....

Still, some achievement.

Its my understanding Warney became more of a wine man.
I think he struggled to match his big mate Sir Ian though who is renowned for drinking white wine by the pint.

I haven't read or heard of one single person who has said anything negative about Shane Warne.
There has been a huge amount of shock and disbelief at the suddenness of his death and an outpouring of genuine affection and enormous respect.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

At altitude, tougher than one would imagine so I am told

I once did some work bricklaying at house a few English cricket players (national team) were renting I guess, maybe free, who knows, in Perth West Australia during an Ashes season
They had a wall of cans and beer bottles, hundreds, all stacked up, couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Guess they had a few friends around.
Never met them, just did a few days work and every day the cans grew exponentially
Was the culture back then for a few international teams I guess, tobacco and alcohol.
Think it was just after Packer changed cricket forever

new topics

top topics

join