It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reuters Live Russians protest against invasion in Ukraine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Russians protest against invasion in Ukraine, this caught my eye rarely do you see live from Russia. Seems tame by western standards but for Russia it's pretty substantial. Reminds me a bit of how the Berlin wall fell. Heavy police presence...in Saint Petersburg

This may well be presented as a deterrence to protests, even if somebody yells something 15 cops go after them

Totally peaceful protesters being led away by multiple cops into buses waiting for them.

Almost eerie how calm it is... they are clamping down hard. Now think how that would go down in other parts of the world?

Not sure but it seems the cops are telling some holdouts it's going to get worse and they are turning themselves in but others are still staying. Sooner or later they will whittle the crowd down and go bust some heads

They were leading a girl away and she broke for it and a couple of cops went after her

edit on 2-3-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

It takes a lot of guts to protest in Russia.

Putins government is almost as harsh as Canada or the US when protesting government.

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 11:24 AM
link   

So is this LiveStream being filmed by the Russian Police just as a reminder to any other Russians who may want to join that they will probably be arrested as soon as they show up?

Also, why do they keep showing up? I guess it's worth it to them to make sure the World knows that they're not all OK with this invasion?

eta: I suppose if I paid attention I would've noticed it was on the Reuters youtube channel.

Russians in St. Petersburg demonstrate against the invasion in Ukraine after jailed Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny called on Russians to stage daily protests. Navalny depicted President Vladimir Putin as an ‘obviously insane tsar.’

edit on 3/2/22 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 12:12 PM
link   
found this elsewhere

twitter.com...

ELINT News Retweeted
Jack Detsch
@JackDetsch
·
29m
NEW: U.S. has not seen Russia preparing more forces to deploy to Ukraine beyond more than 150,000 troops already arrayed on border: senior U.S. defense official

edit on 2-3-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Advisor to the Kremlin and Director General of the Russian International Affairs Council , Andrey Kortunov speaks of his shock at the Invasion of Ukraine.

Andrey Kortunov is a respected foreign policy analyst and adviser to the Kremlin.

He is no apologist for the Kremlin but is not afraid to defend its actions if he sees fit, and we are used to seeing him on our news doing so.

Not today. Not after this invasion.
news.sky.com...

Respect to those citizens brave enough to stand up and speak out.

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 02:55 PM
link   
And yet, I'm astonished by the number of ATS members that support Putin and his Ukraine invasion.

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I fear once the full impact of the sanctions kick in against the Russian people, along with how every Russian in the world has been made a pariah, they are being excluded from everything, they will start to turn against the west and these protests will die out for that reason. Cancel culture is in full effect right now, and it's outright xenophobia the way ordinary Russians are being treated by anyone who isn't Russian or Belarussian. But the narrative is Russia bad. So that makes it OK to hate Russians indiscriminately?

posted on Mar, 2 2022 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: MetalChickAmy

I fear once the full impact of the sanctions kick in against the Russian people, along with how every Russian in the world has been made a pariah, they are being excluded from everything, they will start to turn against the west and these protests will die out for that reason. Cancel culture is in full effect right now, and it's outright xenophobia the way ordinary Russians are being treated by anyone who isn't Russian or Belarussian. But the narrative is Russia bad. So that makes it OK to hate Russians indiscriminately?

I think most people know the average Russian citizen isn't the problem, it's certain hardliners in the military, those police officers I saw had a bit of military precision to them. Not only that Im pretty sure the average citizen may be silent but that doesn't mean they agree

top topics

join