It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reports That The Worlds Largest Aircraft, Antonov AN-225 Myria, Has Been Destroyed by Russia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

According to the head of Antonov, completing it doesn't make sense. He said in 2020 that their 2012 estimate would be $460M to complete it to the original design specifications. It costs at least $1M per flight to charter it per flight, and it operates 20 flights a year. There are also 35% of airports in the world that it can't operate from. They've already said it will be somewhere around $3B to rebuild the An-225 now. They'll never recoup the costs of building a second one, no matter who it is.

See where youre coming from Zaph. I guess the only hope (not genuinely) of having one built in tne future is if Russia takes Ukraine and creates one. The old Soviets used to like 'mine is more powerful, more of, bigger, faster, we mine more coal, first to space' etc when it came to technology and industry, a re-newed USSR will no doubt go for the biggest aircraft.

When it comes to non profitability it sort of makes sense when one considers why China haven't stolen the designs and built a copy for themselves

posted on Mar, 1 2022 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Ukraine said the other day that they will rebuild it, but it's going to be like $3B and five years to complete it.

posted on Mar, 3 2022 @ 08:50 AM
link   
mobile.twitter.com...

The AN-225 is confirmed as toast.

posted on Mar, 3 2022 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I saw this plane on an episode of Extreme Machines (or some similar show). They were using it to transport a huge blade for a wind turbine. It was amazing. Sad to hear that it's toast now.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 11:29 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Ukraine said the other day that they will rebuild it, but it's going to be like $3B and five years to complete it.

is that starting from scratch? or do you think they will use the other airframe that's kept somewhere

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Looking at the damage, they'll have to complete the second airframe, which will include building some sections from scratch. They'll have to go over the other sections very carefully, and possibly rebuild them or sections of them since they've been sitting for so long.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 06:12 PM
link   
USSR kicks a puppy

posted on Mar, 31 2022 @ 07:31 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join