It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 06:40 AM
link   
With all the stress of switching jobs and moving, I thought we'd have a night out. You would not believe the amount of paperwork and whatnot my wife has to have to switch from one hospital to another. Seems like they want a record of everything she's done over the last 10 years. Between working full time and dealing with the folks in HR who could have told you your life story a week ago but now that your quitting can't seem to find their ass with both hands and a map when it comes to your paperwork, she's a bit stressed.

I figure we'll have a nice dinner, maybe go see a movie or just come back home and she can have a glass of wine and we'll find a movie online. So, we go out, have dinner and then I ask if she wants dessert. She says no and that she's full and doesn't need the extra calories. She specifically said "Don't give me any, even if I ask for it" [ we all know that's code for "I don't want it till you get it then I'm gonna eat half of yours' " ]
But I was determined. She said don't give her any and I swore to myself I wouldn't.

I ordered the chocolate fudge cake.
It's perfect. Not too dry, not too moist, fudge generously drizzled all over, warm and gooey with a bright shiny cherry sitting on top.

About a 1/3 through my serving and notice she's stopped talking. I look up and she's staring at me. And continues to stare for about 20 seconds.
Then her eyes drop to the cake. Then back up at me. Then back to the cake.

I'm doomed.
I can do what she said and not give her any, or I do what she obviously wants and give her a bite.
I slide it to the middle.
We finish, she wipes her mouth and says "I told you not to give me any".
Me : But.....you....I

At that point I just sigh and give up.
Lost the battle without a shot being fired.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

And this is why you're not supposed to negotiate with terrorists.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

And this is why you're not supposed to negotiate with terrorists.

lordcomac with a morning zinger to go with my tea...

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I know, but 10 years from now, I'll be hanging over a cliff by my fingertips , she's standing there with a rope and and I'll hear "Remember when you didn't give me any cake ? "

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 07:08 AM
link   
After living with my girlfriend and 4 teenage daughters, you don't ever let them know what bothers you or your weaknesses LOL. It's literally psychological warfare at its core

It's a battle of wills next time order the cake and let it sit there drink your coffee get a second cup whatever but don't be the first one to pick up the fork. If you really want to end that stuff. Let it sit there and act like you decided to not eat it, it's hilarious sometimes I would not take a bite and wait for 10 minutes or so and then just ask for a to-go box just to watch her face. In some ways, it was more satisfying than a nice piece of chocolate cake.

edit on 27-2-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
At that point I just sigh and give up.
Lost the battle without a shot being fired.

Awesome!! S&F

Can I ask where you settled and what _you_ will be doing now that you've relocated?

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Every man has been there mate, the key is not to cave and gobble it up quick time. She won't make that mistake again.

Yes, i'm divorced and single.

edit on 27/2/22 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 07:44 AM
link   

FWIW, from a woman's point of view you did the right thing.

edit on 700000077America/Chicago281 by nugget1 because: eta

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 08:03 AM
link   

But... but... but... it was chocolate!!!

Chocolate is an essential nutrient for women... we need chocolate. Seriously! About once a month I still get a craving for chocolate. And that's usually when I make brownies. Or fudge.

Just your description has given me the wannas!

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I guess the part men don't understand is why you don't order your own bloody chocolate cake and need to delve into ours.

It's like when you ask the wife what she wants for her birthday, you know she's going to say 'nothing' but wait to see her face on the special day when she gets what she 'wanted'.

Women and their games, men don't have the psychological aptitude to understand the maze that is a woman's mind, just tell us straight FFS.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade

I guess the part men don't understand is why you don't order your own bloody chocolate cake and need to delve into ours.

A question for the ages... I doubt women truly understand either! But the easy answer is that they are trying to be "strong" and do the "right" thing and then break when it's sitting right under their nose calling their name in the sweetest tones! (Yes, chocolate does indeed speak to women...) The spirit may be willing, but the flesh is weak.

It's like when you ask the wife what she wants for her birthday, you know she's going to say 'nothing' but wait to see her face on the special day when she gets what she 'wanted'.

LOL -- I never say "nothing"! I'm more inclined to say "I don't know" -- because I don't -- or to say that I want memories rather than things, which usually means a trip to the zoo or botanical gardens or something fun.

Women and their games, men don't have the psychological aptitude to understand the maze that is a woman's mind, just tell us straight FFS.

If its any consolation, women don't understand men any better! But -- LOL -- my husband sometimes wishes that I were more inclined to "play games" so that he could pretend to misunderstand me. Instead, I make myself very clear and I say what I mean and I mean what I say, leaving absolutely no doubt in his mind!
edit on 27-2-2022 by Boadicea because: formatting -- I really screwed that up good!

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 08:25 AM
link   

ah, the altruistic mind is a funny one.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I reckon you all know exactly what you're up to.

Clothes shopping with a woman is my idea of hell.

Wander around shops trying things on all day, buying nothing before returning to the very first shop and buying the first dress they tried on 8 hours ago. All the while being asked for your opinion on 'how does this look" when the reality is that your standardised "looks lovely" response doesn't even have any weight. Don't dare point out any of these things tho or else be prepared to sleep on the sofa for a week.

I once tried to call her bluff and when asked "how do i look in this" i responded "makes you look fat".

Worst idea ever.
edit on 27/2/22 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I reckon you all know exactly what you're up to.

Clothes shopping with a woman is my idea of hell.

Well, I'm with you there. Clothes shopping is hell PERIOD!

Wander around shops trying things on all day, buying nothing before returning to the very first shop and buying the first dress they tried on 8 hours ago. All the while being asked for your opinion on 'how does this look" when the reality is that your standardised "looks lovely" response doesn't even have any weight. Don't dare point out any of these things tho or else be prepared to sleep on the sofa for a week.

Fortunately, everyone knows that I don't "do" clothes shopping... so I have been spared that nightmare experience. I would suggest, for a man though, that the only safe appropriate response is "You make everything look good, Honey."

Again, if it's any consolation though, the woman doing the clothes shopping suffers far more (self-inflicted) stress and anxiety than their companion... believe it or not.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 10:11 AM
link   

You actually won the battle.
Had you told her that she couldn't have any of your cake the long term fallout would have been devastating.

For years I believed that every McDonald's filet o fish sandwich came with a bite already taken out of it.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

My kids think this is the shape of a fresh donut.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Her: "I told you not to give me any."

You: "I didn't 'give' you any. I stopped eating and pushed the cake away. You decided, for yourself, to eat what I had left uneaten. You are are an adult. I am not responsible for your decisions."

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Youss was framed dude!

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Lol. Classic psych 101 a reply to: putnam6

top topics

join