It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too little too late

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I've told you guys before that my wife is an R.N. and that we've been planning to move back to Kentucky sometime this Spring. I have wanted to move back home for years, but it was always one thing or another holding us here. We were taking our time and waiting for warmer weather and just make things easy on us and I figured we had a couple more months.
Well, that changed yesterday with one phone call.
She is not only a R.N. she is Charge Nurse for her floor, a Proctor, which means she trains in all the new nurses and also Clinical Co Ordinator.

She had been telling Admin about this move for months, to give them a chance to hire or train a replacement. Nope. No new help.

They have been short handed for the last 18 months and Admin, instead of hiring people, just kept saying "We need you to work overtime". Which she and all the other Nurses did.....
Till they reached the end of their rope.
Nurses have been quitting in droves and for some odd reason, Admin can't figure out why. [ eyeroll ]
The Nursing Supervisor and the Nurse Administrator have both stepped down in the last month or so because the higher ups just won't budge and now my wife has put in her 2 week notice. She had been looking into the traveling nurse thing and had several offers, but kept hoping they'd hire someone so she wouldn't leave her Nurses in a bind.

After 26 years as a Nurse, my wife is pretty unflappable, but last Friday morning she came home so upset and frustrated she was crying. She had to stay 2 hours late because when day shift showed up, they had ONE Nurse for 17 patients. She calls down to ER to see if they could send a couple of their Nurses up till she could make some calls and get help.
" No, sorry, we only have 2 Doctors and 6 Nurses, so we can't spare anyone" " How many patients do we have ?
2, but we still can't send anyone"
Same thing for every floor she called.
FINALLY the head of ICU and the head of OB/GYN had to bite the bullet and lend a hand.

I told her that she has offers to work down South, we'd already planned to move, they've had plenty of time to find a replacement and just tell them you've had enough.
She put in her 2 week notice yesterday.

After losing the top 3 Nursing Staff in one month, NOW they're paying attention.
She got a call from the Hospital Administrator himself yesterday afternoon and unloaded on the guy. I wish it had been a video call so I could see his face.
He offered a pay raise.
Nope.
Since her boss had quit, he offered to give her a promotion to Nurse Supervisor and a pay raise.
Nope.
"I've had it, I am immediately stepping down as Charge Nurse, Proctor and Clinical Co Ordinator. I will continue to do my job as an RN, but you have 2 weeks to find my replacement and after that it's not my problem anymore".

Her last day at this place is March 6th and she starts the traveling Nurse job on the 14th.

Goodbye and kiss my ass Illinois, Helllllooo Kentucky !! Break out the likker and hide your wives boys, I'm comin' home !!

.......oh crap. I only got 2 weeks. I better get busy.

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Congrats to her and you.
My neighbors are a couple young kids, both traveling nurses. They just built a gargantuan house (for these parts) and are doing quite well. I think that is the future of nursing from what little I know. Good to get you out of that silly place and back to God's country.

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Reads like your wife just tried about everything, enough is enough. High respect for nurses, they are on par with soldiers and also police (the good ones) as they serve us fellow humans.

Wish you both luck and health at your new home, may your wife finally get the appreciation she deserves.

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Nurses have been quitting in droves and for some odd reason, Admin can't figure out why. [ eyeroll ]

Very common affliction in the medical industry.

They never can see the obvious because they are blindsided by greed.

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I loved living in Kentucky...London, Pikesville. A loooottt sloooower there.

Funny how NOW they appreciate her. Too late.

Slow down, pray frequently, thank your wife....if only from me...for doing what she does.

In med and treatment...it is a thankless job.

But..tell her it's one of the only ones...that comes with dozens of Angels!

Good luck, God Bless you both.

Tell her: a 1st Responder in Detroit...is glad she's there. Tell her to BREATHE She'll know what I mean.

And Kentucky..is really great for breathing....👍🙏

EMT/ADL Support
FEMA/DHS/CERT

edit on 02221928America/ChicagoWed, 23 Feb 2022 08:48:19 -060048202200000019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   
You have now joined the ranks of the mass exodus from this state.

I'm jealous, but I'm glad to see you getting out of Hellinois. I may be stuck here a while longer.

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Glad you and your wife are coming back home. What part of the Bluegrass are you going to settle in?

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: whiteboyrick

I'm originally from Hazard, but we're moving to Western Ky in a small town about 45 minutes from Evansville so she can work there.

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 12:28 PM
link   
We also have shortage of nurses.. i am very tired. Omicron spreads now fast among the nurses. We already have temporalily aid from several Care Entrepreneurs and still every day we are more than 5 nurses short in shift. If there is shortage in morning shift they try to get nurses from evening shift change to morning shift or call them from day off to make a shift with a bit extra pay and it gives some time to get nurses to evening shift and so on.. it is like circle which never stops. It has been 3 weeks now that i have had just one day off in a week. There is also in worktime law which forbids making shifts without 11 hours rest between them, but if worker agrees with employer it can be done.
I have made double shifts etc and have been asked to make morning shift after double shift ( 9 hours rest, when you get home you need few hours to empty your mind and get good rest without thinking work issues) i said no.. i need some rest.

I just hope this omicron goes away.. i miss regular work rhytm

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: whiteboyrick

I'm originally from Hazard, but we're moving to Western Ky in a small town about 45 minutes from Evansville so she can work there.

Kentucky is ok , but....

Southern by birth
Georgian by the Grace of God .

new topics

top topics

join