It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Obama adviser says Russia is a big gas station unimportant in global economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Further proving how idiotic former Obama/Clinton advisors were and are on political global foreign policies. A former Obama adviser just dissed, insulted Russia as a big gas station unimportant in the global economy.

Never mind the millions and billions of arm sales of Russian arms to the world. Across different countries. This closed/narrow minded view of Russia is another example of they are misunderstanding Russia.

This former Obama adviser was also Harvard economist? for someone who was an economist he has a closed minded view of Russia. Simiarl minded views to those interventionists.

Harvard economist and former Obama adviser says Russia is 'basically a big gas station' and is otherwise 'incredibly unimportant' in the global economy

What an idiotic statement of the century.

Russia's economy is 'unimportant' except for its gas resources

The problem with this is statement from a alleged Harvard economist is they are forgetting the other important valuable resources that Russia is trading with Europe.

Gas is secondary. Russia has the biggest forests of all Europe.

Iron and Steel are the biggest Russia's export to Europe. $16 billion in worth of good of exports.

For a economist to claim that Russia is a big gas station unimportant in the global economy.
Is a childish constrict.

The EU is Russia's biggest trade partner, accounting for 37.3% of the country's total trade in goods with the world in 2020. 36.5% of Russia's imports came from the EU and 37.9% of its exports went to the EU. Russia is the origin of 26% of the EU's oil imports and 40% of the EU's gas imports

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 12:01 AM
link   

But there are concerns that their plans to punish Moscow will penalize the rest of the world too.

The sanctions wont affect the Russians/Russia in a article i had seen a few years after the 2000s. Russia was always preparing in the event that the western countries would target Russia economically means.

These sanctions will hurt the European Markets. And the European People.

Top Trades
edit on 22-2-2022 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: vNex92
Further proving how idiotic former Obama/Clinton advisors were and are on political global foreign policies. A former Obama adviser just dissed, insulted Russia as a big gas station unimportant in the global economy.

Never mind the millions and billions of arm sales of Russian arms to the world. Across different countries. This closed/narrow minded view of Russia is another example of they are misunderstanding Russia.

This former Obama adviser was also Harvard economist? for someone who was an economist he has a closed minded view of Russia. Simiarl minded views to those interventionists.

Harvard economist and former Obama adviser says Russia is 'basically a big gas station' and is otherwise 'incredibly unimportant' in the global economy

What an idiotic statement of the century.

Russia's economy is 'unimportant' except for its gas resources

The problem with this is statement from a alleged Harvard economist is they are forgetting the other important valuable resources that Russia is trading with Europe.

Gas is secondary. Russia has the biggest forests of all Europe.

Iron and Steel are the biggest Russia's export to Europe. $16 billion in worth of good of exports.

For a economist to claim that Russia is a big gas station unimportant in the global economy.
Is a childish constrict.

The EU is Russia's biggest trade partner, accounting for 37.3% of the country's total trade in goods with the world in 2020. 36.5% of Russia's imports came from the EU and 37.9% of its exports went to the EU. Russia is the origin of 26% of the EU's oil imports and 40% of the EU's gas imports

GDP of Russia is less than a tenth of the EUs with 4 individual countries within the EU being higher. If you look at GDP per capita the difference is even more stark.

According to this oil/gas dominates Russian exports to the EU not steel/iron.

ec.europa.eu...

Russia has some strong cards to play with regards Ukraine but with exception of gas/oil the economy is certainly not one of them.

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: vNex92

Thank you for concisely laying out your valid points that remind me to NOT give two sh#'s about what a EX Obama maladministration adviser has to say about anything.

I don't care if he got his intergalactic doctorate from "Star Fleet Academy", they're ALL fruit of a poison tree. Cohorts that take secret oaths and allegiances to men and spirits alike.

The train is approaching deadmans curve now and it shows no sign of slowing.

edit on 2/22/2022 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Another idiotic statement can be found in the article:

On the other hand, Ukraine has also been a major supplier of grain to other regions, sending 40% of its wheat and corn exports to the Middle East and Africa, The Times reported.

In response to a potential food crisis in those regions, US Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack said on Saturday that American farmers would increase production and "step in and help our partners," the Associated Press reported.

Maybe someone can explain to the US Secretary of Agriculture how farming works.

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: vNex92

So let's see, Russia, untapped natural resources that could keep the world going for perhaps more than a century such as oil, rare earth minerals (fourth largest deposit but only currently supplying 2% of the market) and other natural minerals both inland and on it's continental shelf claims and yes while the arctic claim's are controversial they do have a good argument except in some boundary or disputed areas.

Huge potential consumer economy.

And being forced to send all that natural resource goodness through China whom will grow even more powerful and more of a thorn in our side because of idiots like this man.

WHO GAINS, follow the money paper trail.

That's right the already ultra elite just get richer and richer and we get poorer and poorer.

Instead of bringing our world together there game is and always will be to keep us under control.

My argument is that we need to let Russia sort out the big pile of fascist crap that is currently empowered in the Ukraine and not let that crap infiltrate our west any longer, sadly we have already done it to ourselves when we let Germany re-unify and the problems that is causing including them taking control of the EU and turning it into there own pet project, the EEC was actually a very good idea but back then it only had WEST Germany as a member and NOT A RULER.

And let's be fair all the crap about the Ukraine is mostly for Germany's sake and THERE geopolitical and economic interests.

I would rather have a large intact Russia as a trading partner, consumer of some of my good's and supplier of some resources that I need for my economy but Germany is in the bloody way both figuratively and actually politically and economically, letting them re-unify was a big mistake and we are paying for it now while our morons in power are only after there own vested interests.

Don't get me wrong I don't hate German's unless they are doing the goose step BUT they are like anyone only after there own national interests and do not really care who else they step on to serve them.

You know though Germany used to be a group of independent nations, Hess, Prussia and East Prussia, Bavaria etc and the people from those nations were not called Germans but Hessian's, Prussians, East Prussians, Bavarians etc and in some cases they even look quite different, have different cultural traditions and even words that are unique to there area's so we could have instead split Germany back up into it's national groups and called the whole German project a failure, it would have actually been MORE democratic for those people's as well as there own nations would have had full autonomy.

Hess also was actually part of the UK albeit as a periphery member with it's own governance, army etc but with the same monarch until the formation of the German Federation so maybe we should take that part back and maybe lay ancestral claim to Saxony as well.

Do to them what they were going to do to us and by the second or third generation they will be eating fish an chips, waving the union flag (OR ELSE) and speaking English - it's just another German language after all with a few French, Dane and Gaelic words thrown in after all.

I am being a bit sarcastic but in general we have allowed Germany too much power and while Russia was the big threat of the cold war we live in a different world so who gains from this, I have my reservations about Putin solely due to the way he or rather the authority's under him treat modern dissident's and the fact they assassinated on UK Soil which also caused death to innocent British people and I AM angry about that BUT I personally see the Ukraine as really Russian Territory, yes there are those that argue they are NOT Russians and that is valid in the same way that Scot's are not English and Welsh are not English but we are all related, the Ukrainians speak a language that is very close to Russian as well and ancestrally speaking they ARE the same people's and most of the famous RUSSIAN Cossack's were actually UKRAININA Cossack's, Remember Lena and her 100 children those were Ukrainian nationals at the end wanting to murder the children, like any nation there are good and bad there and my heart does go out to the good Ukrainians but I hate the NAZI's with a vengeance so take that as you shall and understand why and how it flavours my opinion.

edit on 22-2-2022 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: vNex92

But there are concerns that their plans to punish Moscow will penalize the rest of the world too.

The sanctions wont affect the Russians/Russia in a article i had seen a few years after the 2000s. Russia was always preparing in the event that the western countries would target Russia economically means.

These sanctions will hurt the European Markets. And the European People.

Top Trades

Just for reference, the US and the EU taken together account for about 44% of the world's economy. Russia accounts for about 2%. They're actually considered a "developing" country by most accepted international standards.

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:04 PM
link   
April 6, 2022

It appears the "sanctions" against Russia that President Biden are so proud of, are not as effective as he portrays them to be. Russia is poised to break a $$$ earnings record in its energy sector.

International sanctions on Vladimir Putin’s regime sank it to a record low of 121.5 rubles per dollar, triggering memories of the battering it took during the 1998 Russian financial crisis.

Things looked dire enough that U.S. President Joe Biden said the ruble had been reduced to “rubble.”

Now, though, it sure hasn’t. The ruble has surged all the way back to where it was before Putin invaded Ukraine, closing at 79.7 in Moscow on Wednesday.

What’s become clear is that despite an incredibly wide-ranging package of sanctions on the Russian government and its oligarchs, and an exodus of foreign businesses, the actions are largely toothless if foreigners keep guzzling Russian oil and natural gas -- supporting the ruble by stocking Putin’s coffers.
More at: finance.yahoo.com...

FYI - The country of HUNGARY just announced that it is breaking with most other European nations. The country will resume buying gas from Russia, paying for it with Roubles, as Putin has demanded.

Hungary breaks with EU Alliance: www.reuters.com...

new topics

top topics

join