It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's A Simple Question: When Exactly Can NON utube Videos Be Uploaded, If Ever.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 04:28 AM
link   
And it is, just that simple.

One of the reasons it's important is because of the following link, for example:

www.cnbc.com...

If that's not a jaw dropper, I ain't seen it. But how many people will click the link? Heaps less than if the video was uploaded I'll bet, and that is not a positive thing.

The vast majority of us here, are here for one reason, information, so when do we get better access to it?

Just askin, since we're still at war like, know what I mean?

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

I think it's because the code for youtube to be embedded is a built in feature of some, if not most, websites. If there is no code for it, then every video on line has a different embedded player, and it would take a long time to cater for all.

Having said that, I use youtube-dl to grab videos from MANY sites.

So it's up to whoever maintains the code on the site..... and as we've seen, we still don't even have a working U2U flag any more.

I think the site, once SO updated the code years ago, was the last edit to it. but idk, I agree however, wish we didn't have to click links to view video content. Some people still can't even embed a yt video properly ..

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

One of the reasons it's important is because of the following link, for example:

www.cnbc.com...

If that's not a jaw dropper, I ain't seen it. But how many people will click the link? Heaps less than if the video was uploaded I'll bet, and that is not a positive thing.

and if I do decide to click on the link to watch the video, but it then wants me to turn off my ad-blocker, so nah screw it. CLOSE TAB.

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell
www.cnbc.com...

I know what you're getting at, but you have a mixup in your terminology. None of the videos are uploaded to ATS any longer (though there was a period of time years ago, when ATS allowed videos to be uploaded).

The youtube videos aren't uploaded to ATS, they reside on youtube, but ATS allows them to be "embedded" which means you can play them on the ATS page without going to the youtube page.
Even with youtube, embedding doesn't always work. I've tried to embed this video before, but embedding is effectively blocked, so we are forced to go to the youtube page to watch it:

I think we probably won't see videos from other sources allowed to be embedded here anytime soon, but I could be wrong.

edit on 2022220 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Video has been disabled off youtube, by the owner.

The irony...

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

From what I understand of it, it's as Arbitrageur says, the code on ATS converts the video ID we put on that "Please enter the YouTube video number." box and converts it into the code for embedding YouTube videos.

Different forums use different methods, but, as far as I know, they all use a similar system, as embedding videos needs the user to post some kind of HTML and/or Javascript code, and any of those could include malicious code to either affect the site or (more likely) the users visiting the page.

In this particular case, this is the code to embed that CNBC video:

As you can see, it's bit of HTML code with an IFrame (Inline Frame), that basically creates a page with different content inside the page where the code is embedded.
If the forum code allowed people to post a direct embed code, they would need to, at least, allow people to post an IFrame, basically allowing people to post content from whatever source they would want, with all the risks something like that brings.

So, what happens is that, usually, allowing embedding of videos (or other content) from other pages needs to be done on a case by case system, with specific code for each site, so we would need code for YouTube, CNBC, Vimeo, Dailymotion, whatever.

Some forum software packages have the possibility of adding some kind of add-on to add features to the forum, but on an custom-made forum like ATS that has to be done manually.

PS: in the specific case of this video, you can use the YouTube version of the "Munich Security Conference: Finding a way out of the pandemic" video, posted to YouTube by CNBC, and use this code to jump to the same point the CNBC video you talk about in the opening post starts: U70Q9WqbMFM?t=407

Resulting in this:

Edited to add that, for some reason, YouTube is jumping whatever time it wants to every-time I reload the page...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 20/2/2022 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
Edited to add that, for some reason, YouTube is jumping whatever time it wants to every-time I reload the page...
Maybe you've got that to work before, but in my experience, the time index only works on ATS if you post a link to the video instead of embedding it. When I embed the video, the time index showing where to start playing the video doesn't seem to work.

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

One reason: third party created video.

That's a lot of unsecured links to post a video:

Someone made it, someonelse found it, someonelse posted it, you clicked and found it.

Each one has...or not...Security to pass thru..to get to you....

Like 3 places, one viewers comptr, a link, place that from home in ATS....

It's really bad security wise..and along the way...anything bad can happen.
edit on 02224928America/ChicagoSun, 20 Feb 2022 08:57:49 -060057202200000049 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 09:04 AM
link   
FYI Folks:
Find video someone made-1
They put it on a site -2
You view it, thinks it cool, send it up some-site-3
Site posts it-4

Someone like ourselves want to post 4-5 deep videos ..generally, mostly unsecured.

And the GOV provides all the stuff we need...to even use the Internet.

* Links in text, emails...even voicemail...are going thru 3rd and 4th party uploads ...generally not good to click video links in txts as well..

Just saying....

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 09:37 AM
link   
TBH, I'm suspect of any site that keeps me confined to the "gatekeepers."

Tube, twit, goog are all self-referencing with embedded censorship.

The "downhill player" sites either by lack of concern or happily playing along are fine with the status quo.

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT
I don't see it as confinement on ATS. You can post links to just about any site you want on ATS. I have only run across a few exceptions that are banned from ATS like BIN.

originally posted by: ArMaP
PS: in the specific case of this video, you can use the YouTube version of the "Munich Security Conference: Finding a way out of the pandemic" video, posted to YouTube by CNBC, and use this code to jump to the same point the CNBC video you talk about in the opening post starts: U70Q9WqbMFM?t=407
It doesn't work every time, but that works a lot of the time, meaning if the video you want to link to is not a youtube link, a lot of the time, you can find a link for it on youtube, and embed it that way. Seems to work for the example in the OP, so you made a good point.

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Here's what i do, if it helps any... i have created a youtube account just for the rare times i want to post a youtube video here.

Then i use a utility like Anyvideo converter to grab video from a site (if its not on youtube).

I use the video "grab" from Anyvideo that i saved to my PC and upload to youtube - especially if it's a long video, gives me the option to trim out only what i want to show - and upload it to the youtube account i've created, then link it here with the "v=" number of the youtube address.

top topics

join