It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeremiah;- Run through Jerusalem (ch5)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 05:00 PM
link   
“Run through all the streets of Jerusalem… Search to see if you can find a man who does justice and seeks truth; that I may pardon her” (Jeremiah ch5 v1)

This is a very unflattering comparison between Jerusalem and Sodom. Sodom would have been saved if ten innocent men had been found. As for Jerusalem, Jeremiah is invited to see if he can find one. And it must be done quickly, because judgement is coming soon.

The fifth chapter follows a pattern which will probably become familiar. An alternation between warnings of judgement and explanations of the reasons for judgement. There is an obvious break after v17, but I will treat that first part of the chapter as one prophecy.

I might have taken “False words” as a title, because that is one of the themes of this chapter.

Though they say “As the Lord lives”, yet they swear falsely. O Lord, do not your eyes look for truth?” (vv2-3)
“You have heard that it was said to the men of old; You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn” (Matthew ch6 v33).
In fact Jesus is quoting an accurate exposition of the third commandment. It was normal to add the Lord’s name in validation of a statement or a promise, because everybody knew that he would punish the misuse of his name. That was the other party’s guarantee. The problem was that people were getting immune to the threat of punishment and glibly attaching the Lord’s name to untruthful statements, something which offends him as the God of truth.

That is one reason why God has been “smiting” them, but they refused to see the connection. They would not take correction, they would not repent.

Jeremiah does not jump to this conclusion without giving the city a chance to redeem itself. In his “run” through Jerusalem, he has observed this issue among the poor, those who “do not know the way of the Lord” (v4). If he goes to talk to “the great”, he might find them better educated and better behaved. But he finds very quickly that everybody without exception has “broken the yoke” (the “rebellious ox” metaphor again).

In the time of Jesus, the corruption of the practice of “swearing to the truth” had gone too far to be healed, so his advice was to give it up altogether. For Jeremiah, the threatened punishment is not a bluff and will be carried out.

Because their transgressions have been great, they will be slain by
A lion from the forest
A wolf from the desert
A leopard watching at the gates of their cities to tear to pieces anyone who comes out.
All three animals are presumably representing the invader prophesied in the previous chapter.

From v7, he brings up another grievance.
“Your children [addressing Jerusalem, I think] have forsaken me and sworn by those who are no gods.”
So when they are not breaking the third commandment, they are breaking the first commandment.

Also there is their promiscuity. When he fed them to the full (that is, when he was not withholding the rains), they responded to his generosity with habitual adultery, “trooping” to the houses of harlots, or like lusty stallions, each “neighing for his neighbour’s wife”.

V9 “Shall I not punish them for these things? Shall I not avenge myself on a nation such as this?”

V10 is the instruction given to the agents of vengeance;
“Go up through her vine-rows and destroy… strip away her branches, for they are not the Lord’s”
Here is the source of the vine-trimming metaphor in John ch15 vv1-2. In both cases, the pruned branches are the false individuals while the central root stock itself remains.

This is followed by a fresh explanation of the reasons for judgement.
The house of Israel and the house of Judah (both kingdoms, that is) have been faithless to me. “Faithless” is the word that ran through the criticism of Israel in ch3.

V12 “They have spoken falsely of the Lord”.
They do not believe any warnings of judgement. “He will do nothing, no evil will come upon us.”
Specifically, they do not believe the prophets of judgement, like Jeremiah. They say “They will become wind, the word is not in them” (So let’s punish them ourselves, anyway).

In response to this attack on the value of prophecy, Jeremiah reports a promise the Lord has made to himself (v14);
“Behold, I am making my words in your mouth a fire, and this people wood, and the fire shall devour them”.
This is one of the powers made available to the Two Witnesses of Revelation ch11. So they are “Jeremiah” (in their function) as well as “Moses” and “Elijah”.

This prophecy ends with a warning of judgement in the form of “a nation from afar”. It is “an enduring nation… an ancient nation, a nation whose language you do not know”. If this was an early prophecy, Jeremiah’s conscious mind may still have been thinking about Assyria. It would have taken time for him to appreciate that Assyria had ceased to be a factor in world affairs. As we now know, the Lord means Babylon, who are even more distant and unfamiliar, though the city had been a great power in earlier days.

“vv16-17 “Their quiver is like an open tomb, they are all mighty men”. They will eat your harvest and your food, your sons and daughters, your flocks and herds, and your vines and fig trees. This almost implies the “locusts” imagery of Joel.
They will more literally destroy your fortified cities.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Vv17-18 are in prose, and I’m inclined to regard them as part of what Jeremiah was told in the “first briefing” period which is reflected mostly in the first chapter.

V17; “But even in those days, says the Lord, I will not make a full end of you.”
A version of this promise is in ch4 v27, where it seems a little out of place. Also the instructions in v10 of this chapter include the unexpected line “Make not a full end”.

The prophecies in poetic form would not have been easy to deliver “live”, and I’m beginning to develop the theory that they were first “published” in written form. Could they be handed out as fly-sheets, for example? If so, then, as time went on and judgement got closer, it would be possible to have “revised” editions incorporating this reassurance.

V18 The people will ask why the Lord has done these things. You shall say on my behalf; “As you have forsaken me and served foreign gods in your land, so you shall serve strangers in a land that is not yours.”

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 08:11 AM
link   
You really need to "rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Tim 2:15.

This one area seems to be your failing point. You would be best to study how to rightly divide.

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn
I've seen some of your own efforts in "rightly dividing". Your judgement is not sound.

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

You have had a lot of followers of your posts lately I have to congratulate you. NOT!

Your repeating same old So called Scholarly stuff you have read and have added nothing new to their studies.

Best you just cut and paste their work and stop, by subtly, claiming it to be your own.

At least my work is my own and only God reveals his truths to those who seek them. You haven't sought anything but the admiration of men and you got it. So much so your threads have generated so much vital and great conversations of Salvation and sound doctrine, your threads are 20 or 30 pages long. NOT!

edit on 2/20/2022 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2022 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn
You have no threads.
You're not doing anything.
God has given you life; you owe him some service.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Well see that tells me right there your are not in CHRIST JESUS if you were you would KNOW what it is I do for the LORD and one of them is rebuking false and misleading teachers such as yourself.

DO You need the scriptures that give me that right? I will not be disobedient to God's word as you are.

Failure to rightly divide is disobedience to the Commandment of God as seen in 2Tim 2:15, failure to study in his way is disobedience and teaching that which is contrary to scripture is a form of blasphemy of the Holy Ghost, seeing it is he who inspired the scriptures.

I love it when false teachers like yourself try and justify their works by claiming God gave it to them. Jim Jones thought that way. God will not call someone to teach false teachings with his words. Your threads are not of God but of your own desire or covetousness to be a teacher of God's word to receive recognition of men more than God.

You wont see to much of my work here on ATS because it is copyrighted and a majority is posted on other sites. BTW you lie when you said "you have no threads", I have lots of threads. You lie because your father is a liar from the beginning and in him is all lies.

From the T&C I cannot post copyrighted work here and my links to my work in the past were denied because they felt it promoted my site. It would have given you a real name and address if they had allowed it. It may be that was part of the issue as well. My ATS Anonymity would be lost.

May you come to God's pure grace and find the truth before you die or the Lord returns.

edit on 2/21/2022 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 02:02 AM
link   
well thank you both for your inputs as I have learned some interesting points of view which is what I enjoy.
I was led here by a Friend and I am glad He did

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: imdfreek
Thank you. I do one of these threads every week, and I'm currently working through Jeremiah.
If you look back through my profile, you'll find that I've been writing about most parts of the Bible over the years.

top topics

join