It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Storm Eunice: London Millenium Dome being destroyed by high winds

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I've never been myself Silcone Synapse.

Looks to be in rather a sad state of affairs if the picture is anything to go by, massive big tears down the side of the thing.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Yea it's pretty bad where I am...we're about 100m North of London on the coast; just went to pick my son up from work - managed to reverse into one of the bins that has gone over, bits of trees flying at the windscreen and for some strange random reason, about 5 huge plastic sacks blowing round the roads...one small tree down that I've seen

It's definitely not in league with '87 though! Got a day off for that as the buses weren't running to High School...my poor mother actually thought it was the end of the world...panicking her head off because my Dad was out working all day in it

Got to say my son's car was rocking well whilst he was in the supermarket tonight...I do love high winds though...miss being in my caravan at times like this!

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 11:19 AM
link   

122mph gust on Isle of Wight!!!

Few trees down here in Wiltshire and a few wheelie bins have fainted and fallen over.

We have fence panels down.

Not as bad as '87 tho.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

Same here Tulps very little wind Derbs Staffs borders pretty close to you.

Mate's a trolley pusher for Asda, looking forward to a report from him later they are usually crazy pushes during the storms + insurance claims from taking out customers cars

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Just heard that a tree has fallen in the road just up from my sisters house in London.
Maybe she was wise to go away this week after all.
The kids will probably find it all very exciting.

Apparently she keeps in touch with her friendly neighbours so they'll get an update if anything happens closer to her place.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Wish I had a chainsaw

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 11:56 AM
link   

We had a tree across my road, at the south west edge of London. and a wall came down a few doors up.

Saw it as me and the youngest were walking the dog. She thought the park was awesome - stick heaven! - even though some of the dead branches that had come down were a good fifteen feet long!

There's some very funny footage of people being bowled over by the wind at East Croydon, where the wind was channeled by all those new high rises.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

Wish I had a chainsaw

They're a pain in the neck to keep sharp.
I sometimes help my mate out with his woodburner fuel piles and occasional management around his land.
Log splitters are fun, too.

You could earn a few quid. Once the storm has blown itself out, that is.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Apparently the dome was planned as a temporary building with a one year lifespan.

Typical New Labour bollix, all show and no substance. Like the Olympic Stadium, we paid a private company a small fortune to keep it open.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

The building was supposed to stand for a year pal and it lasted 22.

Don't know how you managed to make this political but that's quite the life expectancy given the very temporary nature of the construction in question.

Aye somebody will have made a fortune out of it all, that's a given and goes without saying really.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I remember well the 1987 storm. I was working in central London, near Victoria Station. From our office we could see a large plaza and we witnessed an old lady "walk" across it; first at normal walking speed, then she started speeding up until she literally did a forward somersault and just rolled across the plaza. From far away she looked liked a tumbleweed.

I volunteered to go out to help, but my boss (a very motherly type figure) refused to let me go. In the end, we saw some nearby people go to her aid.

If I remember right, there was a national ambulance strike going on in that period and the military ended up using their ambulances to assist the injured.

By late afternoon it was safe(er) to attempt my return journey home by bus. There was so much chaos that the 15 mile bus ride from Victoria to Enfield in Norf London took me over 6 hours!

The funny part was that the journey was so slow, myself and someone I had met on the bus were able to get off, get a pint of beer at a pub we were "passing" and get back on the same bus that had only moved a few yards.

It was sad to see so many injured people around (mainly head wounds) and so many ancient trees uprooted.

Stay safe, wherever you are!

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Were all going on a summer holiday......yikes!!!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Any sensible person knows to take their gazebo down before a storm.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

originally posted by: andy06shake

Apparently the dome was planned as a temporary building with a one year lifespan.

Typical New Labour bollix, all show and no substance. Like the Olympic Stadium, we paid a private company a small fortune to keep it open.

If you're going to attack a Political Party, then at least attack the correct one.

1995: A committee of MPs - including the current Tory leader, William Hague - approved the building of the dome.

January 1997: The Conservative government's deputy prime minister, Michael Heseltine, pleaded with Tony Blair to back the Millennium Dome project. At first Mr Blair refuses to give his approval - then relents.#

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Neighbour's giant trampoline went through their fence. Good.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

Strangely quiet now.

Been over to cook some tea for the folks and make sure they've had their tablets. My sister has sent them some photos sitting on the hotel balcony overlooking the sea front.

Going to put TV on and see what's going on elsewhere but you wouldn't know there had been any storm at all over here at the moment.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: UpThenDown

I suspect there was a rush for the toilet once the seatbelt sign went off on that one.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

You might want to read your source properly.

The idea was Major's. The execution, from beginning to expensive end, was Blair and Mandelson's.

@andy06 - it was entirely a political project at the time, a flashy celebration of Cool Britannia at a time when the phenomenon was already starting to curl at the edges. There have been entire books written about it.

Including the extension to the Jubilee Line, it cost £6 billion - for something that was meant to last a year.

After the ridiculous Millennium exhibition thing - which ran at a huge loss and, believe me, was crap - it sat empty for four years, a Boris Johnson-level vanity project that cost more to maintain that it would have done to knock it down and redevelop the site. It, and the massive site around it, was sold to a private company - IIRC - on a 999 year lease for £30 million. That's a lot less than six billion and works out about £30,000 a year.

Kerching!

Now it's an expensive events arena - £100 a ticket to watch a show on a screen a hundred yards away, £6 a "pint" in a plastic cup - with expensive shops and restaurants around it, like a zombie Westfields on a weekday morning.

Not sure how much Boris Johnson threw at the cable car round the side but some days it has carried zero paying passengers.

Compare it with the London Eye, another temporary structure. Not my cup of tea but an excellent concept, elegantly executed in a superb location, a profitable success from day one and now another London icon.

Or the Tate Modern. Free to visit, the third most visited art gallery in the world, 6.1 million visitors in the year to lockdown.

It' was a bollix and New Labour own it.
edit on 18-2-2022 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 07:34 PM
link   

All pretty quiet here too, although we got a ton of rain after the wind stopped.

I was all for going out again but Boy couldn't be asked.

Will go out in the morning to the local big park and see what's happened, just like I did in 1987 - because I had drunkenly slept through the whole thing.

The 1990 storm, on the other hand, the office closed early before the buses stopped running. Wiser heads went straight home, I went to the pub where I ended up getting hammered with Norman "Desmonds" Beaton.

posted on Feb, 18 2022 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Definitely got a bit wet and wild up here in North East England, but seen it worse.
Saying that, it was that bad that our lass said she had to put a jacket on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join