It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia evacuating diplomatic staff from Ukraine

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 11:35 AM
link   
RT

Looks like Russia just chased off one of our nuclear subs .

The submarine, however, did not respond to the messages, and destroyer Marshal Shaposhnikov was deployed to chase it off. The Russian vessel used “appropriate means” against the US sub, the military noted without providing any further details.

edit on 12-2-2022 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: gortex

It's respecting spheres of influence.

We flipped out when Russia got cozy with Cuba... This is no different.

No, we flipped out when there were nuclear-tipped missiles on Russian ships heading to Cuba.

When the USSR disintegrated in 1991, Ukraine was the third largest nuclear power, behind the US and Russia. Part of the subsequent treaty between Russia and Ukraine was that Ukraine would give up all of the nuclear warheads on its soil in return for which Russia promised to respect Ukraine's sovereign boundaries, forever. Nobody is proposing to put nuclear-tipped missiles in Ukraine. And, realistically, any offensive weapons in Ukraine really wouldn't be substantially closer to Moscow than Poland already is.

This is quite bit different.

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Russia has been backed into a corner; they either go home, or will be accused of striking first, no matter who actually makes the first move.

The Pentagon is considering giving Ukraine real-time “actionable” battlefield intelligence which would allow the Ukrainian military to quickly respond to a potential Russian invasion, but which also carries the risk of a preemptive first strike by Kiev, the New York Times reports, citing Biden administration officials.

ht tps://sputniknews.com/20211225/us-reportedly-mulls-giving-ukraine-battlefield-intel-which-kiev-could-use-for-first-strike-on-1091793385.html

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: didntasktobeborned

And I do find it odd that Russia evacuated diplomatic staff..Guaranteed it was NOT out of concern for their lives. I haven't figured out the real reason Putin would do this. Its almost funny.

Putin playing them at their own game. And/Or Putin is protecting his people knowing something is going to kick off eg 'they' were going to bomb said embassy, then claim Putin is claiming Ukraine did it to goad him into action. In other words protecting his own people AND removing a vulnerable chess piece to foil their plan. Hope that makes sense.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 11:42 AM
link   

a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Amazing how people can just opine that Ukraine should be given up like a morsel to Russia.

I think the debate is more along the lines of if it has anything to do with our respective countries.

The underlying mentality is that the Ukrainians should not have any say in their own future. My question is how many people opining that are ready to give their own freedom of choice "just to keep the peace" ?

Cheers

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Its a difficult situation - possibly the under-statement of the year so far.

After the break up of the old Soviet Union and the end of The Warsaw Pact NATO did assure Russia that they would not encroach upon Russia's borders.
But of course they have.

Like you I sort of understand why Russia would be quite angry about it....and I wonder how NATO would react if it had been the other way round - imagine the US reaction if Mexico/Canada etc were wanting to become part of some new Warsaw Pact?

Putin also has what he considers genuine concerns about ethnic Russians in these regions - a striking echo with Hitler and The Sudetenland?
Putin has consistently exploited nationalist feelings in both Russia and neighbouring regions - another similarity with the 30's?

Putin has been in power for a long time now and he's getting old.
I suspect he's starting to think about his legacy - how will history remember him?
As it stands he will be nothing more than a paragraph or two in Russia's history; unlike Lenin, Stalin, Gorbachev and even Brezhnev. Monumental things took place under their leadership. At present Putin's reign can be more or less summed as 'steadied the decline of Russia and oversaw a slight resurgence in Russian national pride'.

Like all leaders who have been in power for a while, he wants more.
He wants more than a couple of paragraphs, he wants a full chapter to himself....what better way than regaining lost territory and restoring the 'glory' of the former Soviet Union?

Putin's ego has talked himself into a corner - he can't back down without loosing face at home.
Sanctions could cripple Russia.
Once committed they have to go all in.

I didn't think this would end in military conflict - at least not involving significant numbers.
I think I was wrong and I fear the worst.

As it stands there is absolutely no significant support for UK troop involvement.
Since when has that mattered?

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 11:58 AM
link   

sputniknews.com...
(Sputnik) - The Bosphorus Strait has been closed to traffic due to
technical issues that have occurred on a coal-loaded ship, Turkey's
Directorate General of Coastal Safety said.

Wonder how long this will go on .
edit on Sat Feb 12 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: added SOURCE, EX tags IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Amazing how people can just opine that Ukraine should be given up like a morsel to Russia.

I think the debate is more along the lines of if it has anything to do with our respective countries.

The underlying mentality is that the Ukrainians should not have any say in their own future. My question is how many people opining that are ready to give their own freedom of choice "just to keep the peace" ?

Cheers

I haven't heard anyone say Ukraine doesn't have a say. I've only heard people say we shouldn't intervene.

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Ukraine is not going to be admitted anytime soon. They were making good progress towards complying with NATO's requirements before Russia fomented a civil war throwing the country into complete chaos.

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Someone just said after Biden delivers the next set of weapons to Ukraine, Russia will move in and take them. That is why the delay.

Didn't Russia get enough American weapons Biden left behind when they went into Afghanistan last fall?

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

We put nukes in Turkey... We have defensive missles in nations near or on Russia's borders.

If Ukraine joined NATO, we could put military assets there.

Maybe it's not a direct translation, but if you neutralize a countries ability to project their offensive or defensive capabilities, it's very similar to a first strike capability by removing theirs.

We could play with semantics or true translations, but I promise if Russia made a military treaty with Mexico right now there would be a similar geopolitical standoff as we're seeing there.

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Has Biden released the phone call transcript yet ? 😃

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

We did similar actions in South America to prevent the spread of communism, coining the term banana republics.

I'm not justifying either nations actions, just using the points of references to understand what's going on.

At the end of the day, Ukraine is sovereign, but Russia has more influence and right to what happens in their back yard than the US or NATO.

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Go farther and get rid of NATO , throw in the U.N. as well

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Not necessary. Estonia is NATO country without nukes. Besides its military is very small only 7000 ppl in active service, 3500 conscripts and 20 000 reserve.

Ukraine has 215 000 military personnel but they have had more trouble from Russia than any other country. Their military is not so well equipped either compared to what is against them.

Finland is not NATO country and isn´t in any alliance but shares a border with Russia. In Finland there is 12 000 professional soldiers, 22000 trained every year and if war starts 280 000 fighters and in reserve 900 000 soldiers.

So when you compare military strenght between the neighbours of Russia you should be able to draw a picture why they feel so unsecure.

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher
And which side would Turkey be on if it all blows up in Ukraine?
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254
Can we compare the number of times NATO went into a combat situation for defense vs offensive action?? Most NATO combat has occurred far from their borders. How could that possibly be defensive??

We shouldn't beat around the bush with mandate vs non mandate actions. If the bulk of the collective is participating, even in just a logistical capacitiy the group is still involved.

I'd like to see NATO disband and just let the Europeans do their own fighting. Canada and the US have no business protecting Europe at our expense. Those royal families infiltrated and took over our economy and political system in the twentieth century just so they would not have to spend their dime investing in their collective defense. As if the richest families of their respective nations ever actually relinquished control.

I don't think it is wise to forget that NATO support is heavily investing in open admitted Nazis in Ukraine, including the violent revolution in 2014.
edit on 2-12-2022 by worldstarcountry because: Funny typo

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

"Those royal families infiltrated and took over our economy and political system in the twentieth century just so they would not have to spend their dime investing in their collective defense".

Do you think that we don't pay a "dime" in funding the British Army, the RN and the RAF?

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:42 PM
link   

You make a mistake by thinking NATO is same as US.

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Those royal families infiltrated and took over our economy and political system in the twentieth century just so they would not have to spend their dime investing in their collective defense.

I have no desire to derail this thread....but.
How have these "royal families infiltrated and took over our economy and political system in the twentieth century"?

Who hasn't 'spent a dime investing' in their defence?

I get that you don't want to be involved in what you perceive as European issues.
But the rest makes no sense at all, sorry....

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join