It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forever Free School Lunches

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Not sure why you have the impression i trust government, my posting history suggests otherwise.

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

Then we're in accord.

Don't trust or rely or depend on government for help.

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Never have, never will.

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: nugget1

What children? What suffering?

How much should I care? I'm exhausted. I'm supposed to care for my family, my country, my friends, my neighbors. I'm supposed to care for the Canadians protesting, the slaves in China, Russia invading, the starving in Africa.

I'm supposed to care about BLM, police brutality, the unfair justice system.

Jesus cared and they killed him for it.

I'm not even close to Jesus.

I hear you. I reached burnout on social issues many years ago, and it actually helped. I now look at the issues with my brain, instead of my heart but I just can't do that with little kids.

I wish everybody who was able would help just one child in need, but I know that isn't going to happen. Still, I can't see the problem from a rational viewpoint; that's the one world problem I can't stop seeing with my heart. It may be my last tie to humanity.

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 07:24 PM
link   

You know, in the end, if your only crime is caring too much?

I think you'll be okay.

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

What if at the time when they got pregnant they were able but 2 years later they are not?

This all makes pro choice the wiser decision don't you guys think? Because the ones having the abortions are usually the same ones that couldn't take care of a child in the first place.

What's better?
A. An abortion
B. Bad parent giving an innocent child a # life.
C. State takes care of child
edit on 8-2-2022 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

At least we know how much you value human life.

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 08:53 PM
link   
ok I'll chime in even tho I haven't read every comment...boomer here who went to private christian school in small town Michigan, and everyone ate what they brought from home...in really cool lunchboxes might I add. That being said, it was only the kids that took the pvt bus to school that could stay for lunch...me, I had to walk home for lunch because I lived close enough to do so. But a couple times a year they would let all the kids stay for lunch, and you could BUY a hotdog, chips and chocolate milk, eat with your friends, and have extended recess before afternoon classes resumed.
Now I see that not only does the public schools offer free lunch and breakfast here in my home town during the school year, they do so during the summer as well, meeting kids in various parks throughout the city...and the do not do any needs assessing.

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

What if at the time when they got pregnant they were able but 2 years later they are not?

This all makes pro choice the wiser decision don't you guys think? Because the ones having the abortions are usually the same ones that couldn't take care of a child in the first place.

What's better?
A. An abortion
B. Bad parent giving an innocent child a # life.
C. State takes care of child

How about :
D. Adoption 👨‍👩‍👦

So much money is wasted on nonsense that doesn’t benefit the kids directly, if I were Queen of the World, schools would have healthy salad bars, with soups, pasta, etc. that any kid can eat from included in the school budget. Perhaps they could charge for certain entree’s, but every kid can get a healthy meal from the salad bar.

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I didn't get lunches made from home, but I didn't eat what the school provided either ... unless it was chili day. I always ate the chili. It was good, and the cinnamon rolls were awesome.

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It is the responsibility of the parents to raise the child.

Not the state.

I hear you DB,not to go all AOC on ya

but it isn't the kids' fault their parents are irresponsible, we easily had 10 to 15 percent of kids qualified for free lunches, in my elementary school even more in high school.

I know where you are coming from but once a kid's here you got to try and help them the best you can, no guarantees but I know some of those kids that were on assisted meals program and some of them turned out all right even with absolutely crappy or none existent parents.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Well said, we can afford to wage war and develop newer and more efficient ways to kill people that mostly want to be left alone. But somehow we can't provide decent lunches for our schools. I'd rather our tax dollars go to enriching our fellow citizens lives and that of their children than providing a way to line to pockets of politicians and corporate scum. The choice shouldn't be pack a lunch or have to settle for garbage. Additionally a lunch bag or box is just another thing to have to lug around every day and hope it isn't stolen, lost, or crushed by the 35lbs of crap you have to carry around. Increase teacher salaries with performance based evaluations and reduce the salaries of administrative do nothings.

In elementary school the lunches were great and actually made in house as our principal and superintendent actually gave a damn. The lunch ladies were actually paid a respectable rate with benefits. There was even breakfast with real eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, and cereal options. On a mother or father breakfast day the principal and teachers even got involved and helped cook for all the parents and children. We had optional science and literature days afterwards where parents and children could be involved with the teaching being a mix of teachers and local university students volunteering.

Then we hit middle school where everything was terrible and barely edible garbage. Frozen premade pizza that wouldn't even meet dollar store quality. Vegatables boiled into mush, crappy fruit cups that were mostly jello, mystery meat, soy patties, chili mac made from meat not fit for a dog, various other poorly prepared and disgusting food items. The pathetic part was this was all paid for. Some kids got free lunch but most didn't. Somewhere along the line the administration decided they could save huge amounts of money by not paying the cooks and signing contracts with companies that ship premade and garbage quality food directly to the school. But I bet you non of the scumbags in charge ever took a pay cut. Hell, they probably made a little on the side from these deals.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Morbidlynx

Somewhere along the line the administration decided they could save huge amounts of money by not paying the cooks and signing contracts with companies that ship premade and garbage quality food directly to the school. But I bet you non of the scumbags in charge ever took a pay cut. Hell, they probably made a little on the side from these deals.

The older you get, the more you realize the world is the way it is because of the kickbacks people are getting.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 08:32 AM
link   

There is a very sad conversation we don’t want to have. Speaking mostly as an American.

The conversation is that there are a whole lot of people that shouldn’t have kids. Somehow we just can’t talk about it. We don’t talk about it.
We keep rewarding these people with money, free food, and all kinds of other help.
In the end, it doesn’t help the kids. So what do we do? We try to help them in school. It’s a bandaid.
When I say these people, I don’t mean any particular group of people either, because honestly it spans all groups of people.

Then we turn around and tell people abortion is a sin and it’s bad.
Then the few kids that are born and given to people for adoption or foster care. They are abused beyond
Imagination and everyone turns a blind eye. Every single adopted kid I have ever known in my life was abused in one manner or other.

If we look at human trafficking. Rarely are children from stable homes kidnapped and trafficked. It happens sometimes but it is rare. More often than not, they take kids that are vulnerable. The traffickers know people say they care, but nobody really cares for kids that are not their own.

We are human and don’t want to see starving kids, it’s so offensive to our eyes, so what do we do, we throw money at it without ever dealing with the root of the problem, and that’s why this problem only grows bigger. The school lunches are a bandaid. Yes their bellies are temporarily filled. Nobody short of a monster has an issue filling a child’s belly. Somehow, when we ask the question, how did we get here and isn’t there a better solution, we are seen as heartless.

We also haven’t delved into the issue of why are schools giving everyone free food? They don’t want poor kids to feel different from rich kids. They want everyone to feel the same.
Now take away age.

Imagine if the government gave everyone the same amount and kind of food, how would you feel about that…?

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 01:18 PM
link   

The conversation is that there are a whole lot of people that shouldn’t have kids. Somehow we just can’t talk about it. We don’t talk about it.
We keep rewarding these people with money, free food, and all kinds of other help.

Ronal Reagan tried to correct this by stopping lifetime Welfare. He put in a five year limit, with programs to help educate people so they could transition off of the government's 'free ride for life' program. The outrage was pretty deafening from those who favor Big Daddy Government.

That may be one of the main reasons Clinton got elected. He 'fixed' the problem, alright; he implemented SSI (Social Security Insurance) to use funds from SS retirement program. If you had a qualifying 'disability' you were allowed to transition to the new program.

The only problem with that is almost every life-long Welfare recipient qualified. Psychiatry got involved with all kinds of new disabling diagnosis for personality disorders. Poor work history could be blamed on anything along the lines of the ever-growing autism spectrum, and proven by such a poor work history.

I've known many people that are on SSI who are more than capable of working, but it's so easy to qualify why bother? They get extra money for each dependent, too- making it a glorified Welfare program.

Schools are educating (indoctrinating) children to have an entitlement mentality, and a victim mentality if their wishes aren't met. Government dependency is growing and here to stay, I'm afraid.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 01:49 PM
link   
So what is your position, no free lunches for hungry kids or yes feed the children of the poor parents?

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skepticape
So what is your position, no free lunches for hungry kids or yes feed the children of the poor parents?

I'm a softie when it comes to anyone being hungry, my position would be to feed kids. I am however conflicted at the long term consequences that I know will come with it.
I do agree with what nugget1 said

Schools are educating (indoctrinating) children to have an entitlement mentality, and a victim mentality if their wishes aren't met. Government dependency is growing and here to stay, I'm afraid.

Remember what is happening is not only to children really in need, but to everyone.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 02:53 PM
link   

My daughter is in a title 1 one school, so they have free breakfast and lunch for everyone. My daughter likes the free lunch and because of it has tried different foods. I used to get school lunches and bag lunches, I am not fat and I have no diabetes.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Our school district is free breakfast and lunch for every child -- kindergarten through high school.

Also provided free during summer and holiday breaks -- pick up at assigned schools.

Ain't nothing free. But, bless your heart for caring.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

Schools should be institutions of learning.

Period.

Hungry children are lousy students.

Maybe ... kick 'em out of school and give them a shovel-ready job?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join