It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why People Scream

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This is a "Things that make you go hmmm" post. Just one of those things that gets the mental gears turning, and of course the only thing you can do is look it up.

I was out yesterday evening and I heard a scream. I did not know where it came from, who screamed, or why, but my spidey senses went all a buzz and I went looking. I found nothing that caused me concern. Just a small group of people laughing and seeming to enjoy each other's company. I hoped that it came from one of them, and it allowed me to go home feeling comfortable.

But it got me to thinking, "Why do we scream?"

According to Psychology Today:

There are six distinct screams.
Screams of anger, fear, and pain signal alarm.
Screams of extreme joy, pleasure, and grief don't signal alarm.

Brain imaging suggests that people respond more quickly and accurately to non-alarm screams.
Non-alarm screams may have evolved to signal emotional significance to others.
www.psychologytoday.com...

Brain areas involved in emotions and memory -- including the frontal, auditory and limbic regions -- were far more active during positive screams than during alarm screams, Frühholz said.

It was previously believed that the brains of humans and other primates were specially tuned to recognize threat and danger signals in the form of screams.

But these findings show that human scream calls have become more diversified over the course of our evolution.
consumer.healthday.com...

Now it really got me to thinking, why do we respond quicker to, and more accurately to, non-alarm screams. It would seem it would be the exact opposite. The scientists believe it has to do with how we have evolved. I wonder.....

Does that mean we have less fear of our environment? Are we more likely to run from danger, and more likely to run toward pleasure?

I know that we are definitely less likely to run toward helping someone that may be in danger than we are to run to help them. Not saying it is the same with everyone. There are still a few of us Mama bears and Papa bears around, that just have not evolved that far yet.

A non event that sparked my interest and decided to share.

Scientists Now Know Why People Scream

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

According to Psychology Today: There are six distinct screams

Nope, It's seven:

Oh, wait, make that eight.
Sometimes it's just part of the job, like being a Marine Corps D.I.
RavenSpeaks because: add more

edit on 7-2-2022 by RavenSpeaks because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2022 by RavenSpeaks because: edit

edit on 7-2-2022 by RavenSpeaks because: edit

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Some people scream for no reason, like when they see a whale or something. They're the worst. Annoying.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Usually when I see how much I'm paying in taxes.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Good read.

I hate the color yellow. So this painter gets me.

Still from Kim Beom’s Yellow Scream (2012)

I also hate school buses.

edit on 7-2-2022 by Bigburgh because: For scream fx

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I have only ever screamed in anger, and not very often for that reason.

Oh, and I hate when people scream.

edit on b000000282022-02-07T13:16:23-06:0001America/ChicagoMon, 07 Feb 2022 13:16:23 -0600100000022 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: RavenSpeaks

According to Psychology Today: There are six distinct screams

Nope, It's seven:

Oh, wait, make that eight.
Sometimes it's just part of the job:

Those may be screams of pleasure for her, but they caused me a bit of pain.

In fact I had to pop a Zomig. Something I haven't needed to do for several months now.

edit on 7-2-2022 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I've been sitting here for a couple minutes trying to remember any time when I screamed, and I can't think of one single time. I mean, I've yelled at people a few times when I was pissed off, but I honestly don't think I have ever screamed. Never.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I have only ever screamed in anger, and not very often for that reason.

Oh, and I hate when people scream.

I too rarely scream. I almost never scream out of anger, mostly out of surprise. Unless you want to count the noise my Huskies force me to make, when they pull a Houdini, and are off like greased lighting.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Pass the ear plug's would you.

Seriously most screams are a non linguistic warning or alert to the tribe of danger or bounty.
Birds have alarm call's as to most animals but humans are linguistic first and these often instinctive behaviours are often perplexing to us but very natural as well (I do not regard human beings as Animals being a creationist so?).

That said there is no sleeping next door to a screamer.

edit on 7-2-2022 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Usually when I see how much I'm paying in taxes.

Truth.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Pass the ear plug's would you.

Seriously most screams are a non linguistic warning or alert to the tribe of danger or bounty.
Birds have alarm call's as to most animals but humans are linguistic first and these often instinctive behaviours are often perplexing to us but very natural as well (I do not regard human beings as Animals being a creationist so?).

That said there is no sleeping next door to a screamer.

Natural, instinctive, primordial, reflective. Screams that erupt without thought, does make you think it may be an animalistic response.

I believe we have inherent behavior that we have spend centuries in attempting to control, and some behavior that evolving societal norms are changing, but... some things you just can't control.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Nah. The OP is talking about why humans scream.

This rules out anything Yoko Ono does.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
... Now it really got me to thinking, why do we respond quicker to, and more accurately to, non-alarm screams. It would seem it would be the exact opposite. The scientists believe it has to do with how we have evolved. I wonder.....

Does that mean we have less fear of our environment? Are we more likely to run from danger, and more likely to run toward pleasure? ...

I'd say that the self-preservation instinct is why we respond more quickly to a positive-emotion scream than a negative-emotion scream. A scream of anger, fear, or pain indicates a potential danger, so it'd make sense that we'd be less likely to run into such a situation. That does not mean that we'd never run into it or that we'd do it slowly. You, yourself, sought out the source of the scream not knowing what kind it was but assuming it was negative. But responding slower means that one would be more cautious, more likely to investigate and find out what was going on as a self-preservation tactic.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: RavenSpeaks

You know, the real idiots are not so much her as the morons standing around watching her and listening to her stupidity as though it were some of some artistic of social import.
:
edit on 2022 2 07 by incoserv because: I felt like it.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 07:37 PM
link   
i always worry if something really bad happens i will freeze and not be able to scream..

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 08:18 PM
link   
There's also screaming for dominance.

Work with a bunch of guys pulling too many hours in a manual-type job and predictably someones going to get frustrated and bust out vocally. The "screamie" will be completely butt hurt an scream back even louder. During the escalation people will zoom right over to rubberneck.

The two screamers continue until one of them backs down.
Pointedly in this setting usually neither an alarm scream, because it predictably happens in this type setting.
It's also not a positive emotion scream.

However it IS usually accepted as just more background noise except for the"gossip-hawks".

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: HODOSKE
i always worry if something really bad happens i will freeze and not be able to scream..

Flight, Flight or Freeze. Common responses to fear, threats, and trauma. Ancient survival instincts that your body utilizes automatically.

Most people can't tell you why they responded the way they did, but I am willing to bet that when their body takes control from their mind, that it is likely the best option they have available to them at the time.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
There's also screaming for dominance.

Work with a bunch of guys pulling too many hours in a manual-type job and predictably someones going to get frustrated and bust out vocally. The "screamie" will be completely butt hurt an scream back even louder. During the escalation people will zoom right over to rubberneck.

The two screamers continue until one of them backs down.
Pointedly in this setting usually neither an alarm scream, because it predictably happens in this type setting.
It's also not a positive emotion scream.

However it IS usually accepted as just more background noise except for the"gossip-hawks".

I would think that encounter would fall in the category of anger and frustration. I am sure that dominance may have a role somewhere in the process, but it usually does when anger is involved.

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 04:53 AM
link   

I tried to describe this enough, but for obvious reasons have to dance around it, since it's my workplace. Basically the screaming is over "turf" it is also commonplace background noise. Anger does not equal "alarm" in this type of situation.
Alarm-screams do happen and are reserved for instances of imminent bodily injury.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join