It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learn An Original Language In 2 Mins Flat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I nearly died...

Then it dawned on me I have a natural talent for linguistics, and so do you.

I wonder if there is good money in teaching Aboriginal as a foreign language to South Koreans...

edit on 7-2-2022 by 19Bones79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: 19Bones79

I am a bad person.

Hahahahaha

Thank you. I needed that.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Oh! Hahaha!

This is not a joke, is it?

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

No but yes.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 10:08 AM
link   

After a quick search it could be one variety of Aboriginal English which holds many similarities to English in general

I searched for "aboriginal australian languages similar to english"

and the ones that stand out are either Pidgen or Kriol

Australian Aboriginal languages

Port Jackson Pidgin English

Port Jackson Pidgin English has a relatively complete linguistic structure, including a borrowed lexicon and set of verbs, largely from English. It also contains different word classes, including pronouns, adverbs, adjectives and prepositions, and it uses the same subject-verb-object sentence structure as English.[4] The linguistic feature of Port Jackson Pidgin English observed in the 18th century was mainly lexical, while in the 19th century, the pidgin started to acquire syntactical stability

South Australian Pidgin English

South Australian Pidgin English is an English-based pidgin contact language used between European settlers and Australian aborigines

Australian Kriol

Australian Kriol is an English-based creole language that developed from a pidgin used initially in the region of Sydney and Newcastle in New South Wales

Despite its similarities to English in vocabulary, it has a distinct syntactic structure and grammar and is a language in its own right. It is distinct from Torres Strait Creole.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 10:17 AM
link   

But.... what if she's "translating" mostly in English
so that those who speak aboriginal won't
understand her and therefore will not be influenced
to take the jab?

Tricky , veeery tricky. I see what she's doin' there.
Who you think you foolin' white boy?

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: RavenSpeaks

That would be epic.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: UpThenDown

The day Jamaica declares war against the Aborigines is the day I die.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I heard this on the UKcolumn podcast a few weeks back, I nearly crashed I was laughing so much.

Just add one to the end of a sentence and you’ve cracked it!

Thanks for the reminder

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: UpThenDown

Cor blimey govner, they’re aving a giraffe ain’t dey?

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 11:56 AM
link   
"Get the needle." Quite the sales job.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I can add my own English to Yiddish translation.

English. 'It's vitally important to get the vaccine'

Yiddish. 'You vont to put me in an early grave? Get der vaccine already. Oy gevalt!'

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 03:25 AM
link   

This explanation makes sense: While there are variations of Kriol across the Kimberley, each embedded with traditional language from the area, Ms Kogolo uses a generic Kriol that can be understood by people regardless of their language group.
Much of what Ms Kogolo says is recognisable as English but Ms Lightfoot said it would be wrong and dangerous to believe English and Kriol were basically the same.
She said in Kriol, for example, the word finished means dead.
'So when a doctor gives an Aboriginal patient a bottle of tablets and says "Take this medicine until you're finished," the patient could take that to mean they will die if they take the medicine,' she said.

Pride in and awareness of Kriol is growing, but it's a constant battle to educate English speakers given the high levels of turnover in staff in the Top End.

People who aren't familiar with Kriol often don't realise the extent of the differences between the way words are used by speakers of Kriol. An English speaking health care worker or police officer might think they're able to communicate but in reality are not getting information across.

Kriol is full of traps, [with] the English speakers thinking that they understand and overestimating how much they understand. And that's when having a really good interpreter, who's bilingual English and Kriol can really make all the difference.

leadstories.com... ing-kriol.html

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: hiddeninsite

What a load of bs, as if aboriginals can’t understand English. You say finished means dead but she says passed away. Words can have multiple meanings depending on context, do we need a translator to get the message?

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Hey, I didn't say anything, I shared a link. You didn't read it did you, or maybe you need a different English to understand what is being said.

posted on Feb, 22 2022 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Domot, baby.

www.bbc.com...

Cheers

top topics

join