It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A No Knock Warrant Resulted In A Man's Death

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Minneapolis police served a no knock warrant the other day before 7am. They stated they announced themselves before entering. When they entered a man was asleep on the couch. The cops state that he pointed the weapon at them. The police shot 22 year old Amir Locke, killing him. The police first claimed he was the suspect, but later recanted that stating they didn't know he wasn't the suspect.

The body cam footage has now been released. It appears to show them announcing themselves as they are charging in. The victim had less than 10 seconds to determine what was happening before he was killed. He did grab his weapon but it appears to be pointed at the floor. Amir Locke was a legal gun owner with relatives in law enforcement.

Any opinions on no knock warrants?

The raid took place just before 7 a.m. Wednesday, and the footage captures officers shining a bright light toward Locke, who appears to be lying on the couch in the dark apartment.

As Locke sat up, his body wrapped in a blanket and a bright light shining in his face, a gun is seen in his hand, prompting one of the officers to fire at Locke three times.

In a news conference Thursday night, Huffman defended her description of the scene, insisting that the body-camera footage shows officers announcing the warrant before they crossed into the apartment. When a reporter said the video did not show that, Huffman insisted it did and urged the public to view the footage and “make their own assessment.”

Washington Post

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Yes. They generally suck and are uncalled for. Occasionally justifiable.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

I saw this too. Very unfortunate. He may have been disoriented when they barged in and wasn't aware that it was the police. From the time they entered the door, announced themselves, walked thru his apartment, to the time they shot him is less than 30 seconds. Locke barely had time to react. In the officer's defense he did have a gun but how do we know he didn't have it for protection....? He is a lawful gun owner.

This No-knock warrant thing is a touchy issue. On one hand, it probably allows officers to get an upper hand especially when trying to catch fugitives and on the other hand we get instances such as this where people are killed on the spot because of mistakes made based on split second decisions.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I pretty much agree with your opinions. They can be useful, however these types of situations do occur.

I'm not sure how any legal gun owner could avoid being shot. Someone wakes you up from sleep screaming and shining a light in your face, you know you aren't a wanted criminal and you have less than 20 seconds to figure out what's happening.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 05:51 PM
link   
If you think carrying or having a gun makes you safer, you might be wrong.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
Any opinions on no knock warrants?

Far better ways to arrest somebody. Far better ways to access a premises (like making sure there's no one at home before kicking in the door).

I can understand there are certain circumstances (like someone inside being held against their will), but they're an exception rather than a rule.

Judges authorizing a no-knock should be fired and charged with a crime anytime anything goes wrong. Punishment for the crime should be goddamned vicious and carried out within the exact amount of time the judge considered the warrant before signing it. We don't have to take the judge's life, but whipping him with a rattan cane on the ass until you hit bone ... for taking someone else's life ... sounds fair to me.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

Not with stupid ⬆️

20 bucks says if you are armed and if it’s known your less likely to get screwed with by normal people. The police work differently, they can continue to throw bodies and resources at things till they get the desired result they wished to obtain. Also freedom.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 06:36 PM
link   
No nock warrants are not constitutional period.

Theres rumblings that this guy wasnt even on the warrant.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

For once we agree Snarl. I'm marking it on the calendar. I may need to make it a holiday next year.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I have a couple of questions. Did they raid the correct address? Did they execute their warrant? I've seen multiple times now where the wrong house gets raided with deadly results. And in the case of Breonna Taylor they didn't execute the search so any evidence in their favor was cleaned up by drug dealer boyfriend.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadlyStaringFrog

I could only find that the search warrant is sealed right now. One article stated the cops entered with a key. As they entered they yelled. 9 seconds elapsed total when he was shot. I read that a judge would not issue the no knock warrant but the cops insisted on one. The mayor today stated no knock warrants cannot be issued.

This has some info about the warrant being sealed.

CBS Local

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

He wasn't and they also lied about announcing themselves before entering.

They had a key and didn't announce until they were going in it seems.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 05:14 AM
link   

First, no knock warrants need to be stopped.

Then, to your statement… seems that all the cops were armed.
How many of them were shot in this no knock raid?
If guns don’t make it safer for cops, why the eff do you think they all carry them?

BTW, frogs, good OP, star and flag.
edit on b000000282022-02-05T05:19:42-06:0005America/ChicagoSat, 05 Feb 2022 05:19:42 -0600500000022 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Many innocent people have been killed over no knock warrants over decades. Created by the fanaticism of the drug prohibition, they violate the letter and spirit of the Fourth Amendment.

This poor practice has contributed mightily to the crazy notion of 'defund the police', so it is understandable.

What needs to be defunded and ended are the irrational policies and practices generated by the prohibition.

When the police enforce poor policies only bad things result.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I wonder sometimes why it wouldn't be possible to just wait outside a dwelling for a suspect, and when they exit, swarm on the suspect right outside their door? You don't have to worry about knowing the layout of the dwelling, you don't need to worry about what other people might be in there you don't know about, and it should in theory be easier to make the suspect aware immediately that they are surrounded by LEO serving a warrant, and they're not being targeted for a home invasion by a bad hombre.

Of course, that means waiting (maybe for a long time) to serve the warrant until the suspect goes out for some reason, and maybe there are legal technicalities with linking a suspect with things found in the home, even if he/she was literally detained 5 seconds after walking out the door.

IDK, it seems like serving warrants like this are dangerous for *everyone* involved, LEO included and the suspect, and if you knock and wait too long evidence might be destroyed (which is probably why they announce as they're breaking down the door instead of knocking and waiting).

It seems like a tricky situation to do it right, maintaining safety for everyone without letting a bad guy destroy evidence while the LEO are waiting for them to acknowledge that they're serving a warrant and it's not a home invasion.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Any opinions on sleeping with a loaded gun in your hand?

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 09:54 AM
link   
That's unfortunate man!
How can you avoid it? A proper door with steel crossbar will pay you time.
And a booby trap over it that will shower the intruders with concentrated hydrochloric acid or at least ammonia. There's no better way for a coordinated home invasion like this except passive systems

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

Well I don't recommend it. I suppose if you live alone you may not have an issue keeping it close. However, he was a legal owner, so he could sleep with it in his hand, under his pillow, in a holster, wherever he wants I suppose.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I agree, No Knock warrants are legalized murder in many cases.

There is no need for them except in the most urgent of "Validated" situations.

Fishing with No Knock warrants results in numerous murders by police every year. How many examples does the public need?

The man they killed was not the person they were looking for. From the ARFCOM thread it appears that 3 apartments in Minneapolis were raided in the same building, and 1 house in St Paul. At the same time. Looking for 1 bad guy that "might" be in one of them.

A legally owned firearm, lawfully possessed by a person who has been confirmed to not be a felon was murdered on the couch of his cousin's apartment.
edit on 5-2-2022 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 10:39 AM
link   

When there are state sponsored and sanctioned gangs running around breaking down doors I dont feel safe, has little to do with my feelings on second amendment which these gangs do not respect at all.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join