It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma bill would fine teachers $10k for teaching anything that contradicts religion

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

The proposed act, named the “Students’ Religious Belief Protection Act” mean parents can demand the removal of any book with perceived anti-religious content from school. Subjects like LGBTQ issues, evolution, the big bang theory and even birth control could be off the table.

USA Today

Senator Standridge introduced a bill the previous month to ban certain books. He states this new bill is “necessary for the preservation of the public peace”.This is not manufactured outrage on our part.

They do teach about dinosaurs, but with this bill if that teaching or as noted above teaching evolution is in direct opposition of a family's religious belief they can sue.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453

The proposed act, named the “Students’ Religious Belief Protection Act” mean parents can demand the removal of any book with perceived anti-religious content from school. Subjects like LGBTQ issues, evolution, the big bang theory and even birth control could be off the table.

USA Today

Senator Standridge introduced a bill the previous month to ban certain books. He states this new bill is “necessary for the preservation of the public peace”.This is not manufactured outrage on our part.

They do teach about dinosaurs, but with this bill if that teaching or as noted above teaching evolution is in direct opposition of a family's religious belief they can sue.

Thats a hyperbolic and extremly loose misinterpretation, of a law you can read for yourself in only 3 pages. None of that is in the bill, what is in the bill is clearly defined as out of cirriculum.

To make a point, regarding the actual bill, not USA Todays opinion piece ; if a teacher is promoting a position, they are not teaching cirriculum.

Wouldnt you agree, thats a problem ? You dont supporting promoting positions over teaching do you ?

edit on 4-2-2022 by CrawlingChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: rickymouse

You know you just made all that up, none of any of that is in the bill, not a drop, nothing you said is relevant and valid
The bill is aimed at teachers and employees and protects religious beliefs from being eroded

I am not saying it’s a good thing or a bad thing, just pointing out your sensationalist drama queen view
legiscan.com...

Once the bill is passed, it will be exploited by people. Parents will get info from the kids which will be denied by the teacher and the school, Lawyers will be contacted by the teacher and it will go into litigation, if nothing happens the people will sue the school then. I am predicting what a change like this will create. And I have observed lots of stuff like this in my lifetime where changes that are not thought out lead to complications and require lawyers to be hired.

If I was a teacher and I mentioned to a kid to put away the bible in the classroom when he was preaching religion to others....I would be pissed if I got a ten thousand dollar fine and would get a lawyer. Remember, part of Christianity is spreading the religion and there is a separation of church and state in public schools, you cannot let kids preach religion to other kids either, it is ok to allow them to read religious stuff in school and pray and stuff, but often people get carried away and then the parents of the kids that are not religious will start to bitch that their kid is having religion forced on them by students. In a Catholic school, that does happen somewhat, but even in Catholic schools kids who don't have things figured right are told not to spread their opinions of what they think the bible says, they had their problems with that back in the seventies in our town with some kids but back then the nun just hit the hands of the kids with a yardstick...come to think of it I went to a public school and our history teacher whacked my hands when I had a comic book in my history book a few times reading it while he was giving us lectures. Hmmm, lost some comic books that way too.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:19 PM
link   

The curriculum in itself is a position. The curriculum states that it is a fact that dinosaurs roamed the earth millions of years ago. However you may not believe it is so. Therefore your position is in direct disagreement of the position that dinosaurs roamed the earth. If the Senator was suggesting something else, it would most certainly be in the bill correct? You can peruse many of the bills being proposed in regard to CRT related issues. The bills specifically mention the curriculum and mention using the curriculum in a certain way, or going beyond the curriculum with unapproved or divisive content.

So either it is as it appears to be, or the Senator was not bright enough to clarify the bill. As the bill makes no mention of curriculum a parent can sue if they have a religious belief in opposition to what is being taught.

If you support this, that's fine and your opinion in which you have every right, however you cannot state this is about curriculum when no mention is made about the curriculum and about going outside of those boundaries in the bill itself.

Teachers are not supposed to be discussing religious topics in a public school already, we wouldn't need a bill. They may mention Jewish people were persecuted in the Holocaust but we haven't heard that teachers are going in depth about what makes Jewish people different belief wise from a Christian for example, or trying to teach something that would offend a Jewish or Christian child. You know OANN and Fox News would be talking about it non stop like CRT.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:31 PM
link   

The curriculum in itself is the position

/facepalm....

No it's not. Omg, again Ok,teaches about dinosaurs. So teaching the cirriculum about dinosaurs isnt promoting a position. Its teaching the cirriculum.... Wasting the class' time, discussing how the TEACHER thinks dinosaurs are not real BECAUSE the world is only 5k years old... Would be promoting a position, likely to offend a student who doesnt believe in God (thier religious belief).

If thats not clear enough, coupled with actually reading the bill, then i dont know. We'll just have to walk away agreeing to disagree /shrug.

Now, i can completly agree with the sentiment Rickymouse expressed above. Spirit of the Law, and what people do with the law are not always the same. But to the spirit of the law, no promoting positions and just teach; no politics in the classroom. Yes i totally support that.

edit on 4-2-2022 by CrawlingChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 01:18 AM
link   

I was in school during the 60s and 70s. We took time out of our studies if reading, writing, arithmetic to discuss current events. Our parents even had to send money in for a subscription to some kid friendly weekly newsletter that gave a summary of the weeks big news stories. We had many discussions, debates about the era and the war... both of which had political undertones. Much of history also had relevant political aspects to it.
We also had our own elections for president every 4 years.
If the goal of 12 years of school is to prepare kids for their lives as adults, I am sorry but I don't see how having them shielded from opposing viewpoints till they enter adulthood is accomplishing that. By then, they should of had the opportunity to at least consider the other views and decide if their views should be laid aside and how to defend them in a civil manner when warranted.
And, since most children will grow to adulthood, become romantically involved, marry and have little ones... sex education is also part of that preparation and needs to consist of more that just teaching girls that they are like dirty, worn out socks no boy would want to marry... which was actually part of some abstinence only sex ed programs.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: marg6043

I was a teacher for a while, I had a lesson to follow, nowhere in that lesson said it was my job to teach anything else but what it was in the lesson books.

What if the lesson book says that it takes 300 million years for coal for form under a mountain, and a student is offended because the earth is only 6000 years old, according to the Holy Bible?

wow, i didn't know it was written in there.
where exactly, if you please?

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

It's not written specifically in the Bible, however using the text of the Bible, it would be determined that the earth is approximately 6000 years old.

Archbishop James Ussher dated creation precisely to 4004 BC. According to traditional Judaism, the year AD 2010 is actually year 5,770 of creation. The Jewish year of creation is Gregorian year 3761 BC. Both Ussher and Jews used the biblical genealogies (e.g., Genesis 5 and 10) and added up the number of years between Adam, Noah, and Abraham to arrive at their creation dates. That they differ somewhat on their dates indicates the difficulty of achieving high accuracy. Still, the method cannot be merely dismissed if one holds to inspired and inerrant Scripture. Jews, Ussher, and many Christians agree within a couple hundred years because of the precision of the genealogies in Genesis 5 and 11. They differ from the genealogies of Jesus in Matthew 1 and Luke 3, which show line of descent rather than specific lengths of time in each generation. The Genesis genealogies do not have large gaps. If one follows Scripture, Adam, the first human, was created about six thousand years ago.

Real Faith

For many Christians, the Bible’s teaching seems pretty simple: the earth was created on the first of the six twenty-four-hour days of Genesis, which culminated with the creation of Adam, the first human. Adding up the genealogies in Genesis puts the age of the earth at about six thousand years.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: sarahvital

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

I was a teacher for a while, I had a lesson to follow, nowhere in that lesson said it was my job to teach anything else but what it was in the lesson books.

What if the lesson book says that it takes 300 million years for coal for form under a mountain, and a student is offended because the earth is only 6000 years old, according to the Holy Bible?

wow, i didn't know it was written in there.
where exactly, if you please?

This is a question that Young Earthers are prepared for. If you were a teacher, this question, if entertained, would open a can of worms in your classroom that would derail whatever lesson you were trying teach.

The Old Testament gives an unbroken male lineage from Adam to Solomon, including the ages of these men when they became fathers. The New Testament provides the lineage of Jesus of Nazareth, who was supposedly a descendent of King David, Solomon's father.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 10:04 AM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen

Wow! You are full of assumptions. Contamination? Haha. I live a happy life still with a belief in God or a spiritual being. Because I'm not a fan of organized religion I need psychiatric help? I would think a person that is incorrectly attributing characteristics of a person because of a response to a news article is much more concerning behavior.

NOW ya tell us !!!! roflmao 🤓

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

I was in school during the 60s and 70s. We took time out of our studies if reading, writing, arithmetic to discuss current events. Our parents even had to send money in for a subscription to some kid friendly weekly newsletter that gave a summary of the weeks big news stories. We had many discussions, debates about the era and the war... both of which had political undertones. Much of history also had relevant political aspects to it.
We also had our own elections for president every 4 years.
If the goal of 12 years of school is to prepare kids for their lives as adults, I am sorry but I don't see how having them shielded from opposing viewpoints till they enter adulthood is accomplishing that. By then, they should of had the opportunity to at least consider the other views and decide if their views should be laid aside and how to defend them in a civil manner when warranted.
And, since most children will grow to adulthood, become romantically involved, marry and have little ones... sex education is also part of that preparation and needs to consist of more that just teaching girls that they are like dirty, worn out socks no boy would want to marry... which was actually part of some abstinence only sex ed programs.

And none of that is promoting, a position. Letting the class discuss current events, isnt the teacher promoting a position.

It also doesnt harm any dinosaurs, apparently they need considered

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

Schools teach "facts" as gospel, and they turn out to be incorrect all too often.

Light bends. It was a law of physics that light does not bend until relatively recently. So many other examples exist. Therefore, science and "facts" are required curriculum and are ultimately as questionable as anything brought forth by religion.

If schools are not allowed to discuss anything pro-religion, then that they should be disallowed from discussing things that fly directly in the face of those same religions. Either include it all, or exclude it all.

The most troubling thing is that schools impress upon children government approved values and morality. That I believe is the main point behind any state legislation regarding this, and it is my biggest concern.

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

Is a Straight Line on a Globe really straight? 🪀

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

"Oklahoma bill would fine teachers $10k for teaching anything that contradicts religion"

Moslems will vote State Senator Standridge of Oklahoma in mass if that where even true.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 04:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Muslims loving every second of it 🤓

Damn you beat me to it i see

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: Sookiechacha

You are supposed to stick with the lessons, no matter what, actually.

Which right now consist of being Pro woke , woke and more woke. I think i rather see this instead. At least they wont be taught that math and the kids themselves are racist every day.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles
So no more science and no more physics... Replace them with fairy tales about magicians who can change the chemical compounds of things with only their minds.

Obviously, this whole notion is highly flawed, but one particular problem is that different religions believe different types of fairy tales, so they might as well go ahead and segregate the classes based on each individual student's personal beliefs.

As if they are being taught science right now....

Math is racist
Be a rainbow ally
Be transgender
Be vaxxed or die
Listen to Fauci (Or else)
Snitch on your parents for all of the above if they dont comply

Their entire annual schedule is filled with rainbow classes (AKA how those kids in school are racist and or victims).

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoMon, 07 Feb 2022 04:26:16 -06002220222America/Chicago by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 08:03 AM
link   

No it's not. Certain creationists,fundamentalists believe the earth is a few thousand years old. They do not believe in dinosaurs, evolution, etc. This law would forbid a teacher from teaching facts as it goes against a religious belief. Then an individual teacher can be fined for teaching facts.

Along with all the book removals, and other new bills, along with many congress people insisting they will work to bring God back in schools, it seems as if public education will form into Christian education.

That's a very fringe group you're trying to insinuate is Christianity as a whole.

There are far more Liberals who think that the Constitution is just a piece of paper some evil slave owners wrote.

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Religion is resilient because of its vagueness. I mean, things like evolution, a 4.5 billion year geological age of the Earth, and the possible existence of intelligent extraterrestrials can all still fit under the umbrella of most religious thinking — if the religious person tries hard enough.

That is, it’s probably hard to teach something that outright refutes religion.

edit on 7/2/2022 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2022 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: frogs453

And what's illegal about people thinking what they want despite YOUR wild sick in the head authoritarian bulls#t attitudes ?? 😃

Triggered

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join