It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma bill would fine teachers $10k for teaching anything that contradicts religion

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

If OK wants their kids to get STEM degrees and bring their state forward, than they have to teach the kids what the rest of the world is talking about.

Some theories may conflict with religion. If you are religious, there are three ways to navigate it. Don't go to public schools, listen to the theories and disregard them as we all have to tolerate different ideas in life, or simply say those aspects of science could be part of intelligent design.

Removing kids from the conversation is just nerfing the environment around them. They will have to be part of it eventually, so better to prepare them.

I was raised Christian but am agnostic now. I don't know where we all came from so I'm not going to act like I do. But when I visit my mom I still put on my Sunday's best and go to church with her because I know it's important to her. I remember the Bible and can discuss it with people without being a prick. I'm not faking it, I'm being respectful and open minded because who knows, maybe someone says something that leads to an epiphany.

The human experience is messy and sometimes hard. But it's better if you get used to that reality early on.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You know you just made all that up, none of any of that is in the bill, not a drop, nothing you said is relevant and valid
The bill is aimed at teachers and employees and protects religious beliefs from being eroded

I am not saying it’s a good thing or a bad thing, just pointing out your sensationalist drama queen view
legiscan.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

So, no religious people are in any STEM fields, hmmm, ats is no longer for critical thinkers or logic.
Can’t be bothered

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 02:50 PM
link   

All persons found liable
for damages shall make payment from personal resources and shall not
receive any assistance from individuals or groups. Any evidence of
receiving outside assistance shall result in termination of their
position and a stay placed on any reemployment with any public
school position within the state for five (5) years.

Well, that portion is obviously going to be found Unconstitutional, regardless of the rest of the bill.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Oklahoma Republican Senator Rob Standridge has introduced a bill that would allow people to sue teachers if they offer an opposing view to the religious beliefs held by students.

This would backfire badly. The Muslims would love it.
And of course "political beliefs" are near enough religion to get the same protection.

You would end up having no teachers, because they are logically obliged to offend either [e.g.] those passionately against abortion or those passionately against abortion.

edit on 4-2-2022 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

So, no religious people are in any STEM fields, hmmm, ats is no longer for critical thinkers or logic.
Can’t be bothered

Nice try dude.

or simply say those aspects of science could be part of intelligent design.

Plenty of people are in every field that are religious. Many of them still believe in science and or other human advents by maintaining its part of intelligent design.

I cherish nuance and don't try and paint people in black and white. I credit part of that to exposing myself to as many ideologies as I can... Something I think is good for all. You can do that and still arrive wherever you'd like, because alas, there are very few truths in life when it comes to philosophy.

My point is not to move the lowest common denominators to Christianity in school. Nothing is wrong with Christianity, nor should we teach that, but we shouldn't also dictate curriculum fall in the guidelines of said belief.

Schools have been teaching a similar curriculum for decades now and we still have devout Christians who excel through that system. So clearly it's not kneecapping Christians, so why pretend that it is?
edit on 4-2-2022 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

It's the overton window and if you don't play the game, you lose.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: network dude

It's the overton window and if you don't play the game, you lose.

Except in this case they're playing themselves. Not like this was passed in a blue state.

Where do you think good teachers are going to go? A state where they can be fined under a law that could be interpreted in a broad reach?

Lets say it even gets shot down eventually... You think good teachers want to go to a state that is going to try and punish them for teaching?

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Is anything gained by introducing demonstrably unconstitutional bills like this?

Other than wasting the Oklahoma taxpayers’ money on parliamentary time reading the bill?

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

Thank You for admitting you're a victim of what you consider "contamination" and want lifelong revenge for your own dilemma 😃

Have you consulted psychiatric options ? 😃

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Are there clauses in the law that ban CRT ? 😃

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

And all the "higher" ranked schools produced most of the biggest "Professional" and "Political" Failures in World History.

So who's the joke on anyway? 😃

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Anybody hearing if Penn State is looking at this for their Athletic Programs ? 😃

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Crit, I have just stated clearly that a couple of posters on these boards have been ignorant to what the bill is requesting, I have said little more about my opinion on the matter.
If someone in a position of authority wants to float a bill, its up to them, sink or swim, not my rabbit

The bill is targeted at employees at the school and their right to teach against a persons faith as I understand, no more no less. Its a very simple bill, very easy to read and understand

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Wow! You are full of assumptions. Contamination? Haha. I live a happy life still with a belief in God or a spiritual being. Because I'm not a fan of organized religion I need psychiatric help? I would think a person that is incorrectly attributing characteristics of a person because of a response to a news article is much more concerning behavior.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

We have laws that protect religious freedoms at school work and in housing.

This law is extra, so you have to ask yourself why. Is this a problem? Not in any of the schools I've been, especially in the south.

We have a million things we could address in this country right now, I find it odd a state in the south is going after teachers to "protect" the religious majority.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 08:31 PM
link   
so what?
It doesnt change the fact some posters are making ridiculous comments unrelated to the bill proposed

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Im guessing you didnt take 30 seconds to read the 3 page bill did you ?

Cause the title of this thread is misleading, intentional or not. The bill does not say teachers cannot teach something that goes against religious beliefs. It says teachers cannot promote positions ; this clearly defines the subject matter as outside cirriculum.

I.e. no politics in the classroom.

Im ok with that. Section 2, sub A on freaking page one of the bill....
edit on 4-2-2022 by CrawlingChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

It states directly or indirectly promote positions. So if the teachers position is that dinosaurs existed during the Mesozoic Era, giving examples of how that was determined, that position may be in direct opposition of the religious belief of a child who believes the earth is only a few thousand years old.

I'm just using that belief as an example. Not bashing anyone, they can believe what they want.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

It states directly or indirectly promote positions. So if the teachers position is that dinosaurs existed during the Mesozoic Era, giving examples of how that was determined, that position may be in direct opposition of the religious belief of a child who believes the earth is only a few thousand years old.

I'm just using that belief as an example. Not bashing anyone, they can believe what they want.

Youre reaching so hard, youre about to fall over...

Does Oklahoma teach about dinosaurs ? Yes they do... so obviously thats an asinine interpretation. As is any attempt to frame it as such.

Its clear, its on page one. Any outrage is from misunderstanding written english, or its manufactured. Take your pick.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join