It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma bill would fine teachers $10k for teaching anything that contradicts religion

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Public schools; creating the Students' Religious Belief Protection Act

Damn , folks don't even read the very first line.
Especially the OP .
Got to glorify that title .
Gonna fail again , cause nowhere does it single out ANY religion , for or against .

Denying ignorance (or glory hunting in this case)
Why ?
I got to get back to upholding the ATS motto .
edit on 2/4/22 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:42 AM
link   
On it's face it's idiotic, haven't read deeper yet, but I do find it amusing that the same crowd that says parents have no say on the curriculum of their kids are now hyperventilating over an authoritarian stance by the other side of the political spectrum.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

...but I do find it amusing that the same crowd that says parents have no say on the curriculum of their kids are now hyperventilating over an authoritarian stance by the other side of the political spectrum.

I think that's just 'par for the course' nowadays on any subject.

Everybody seems quick to take a firm stance against something, until that stance actually affects them in some way and their viewpoint is suddenly changed.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Why should we allow ANYONE to impose beliefs on children that aren't theirs?

Every belief on how the earth is made is a theory, whether that be intelligent design or big bang.

Should we not teach of some of those theories because it conflicts with beliefs?

At the end of the day, there are very few truths in life. Just because someone is convicted in their belief doesn't mean that it is an undeniable truth. That goes for any theory.

I feel like we're being condescending towards people if we say that we can't teach them curriculum that conflicts with their beliefs.

Part of our human experience is navigating a world where much of the population differs with our beliefs. How are kids going to grapple with that if they didn't already have exposure to that reality?

I'm all for teachers having to emphasize that something is a theory and not teach it as fact. But for myself, I'd rather be exposed to all than nothing.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Regardless of if it's right or wrong, perhaps they figure what the heck and are playing by the same rules the very people they are opposing have been using for so long. So those they oppose really have no leg to stand on.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:00 AM
link   

While I am against this sort of stuff, this is a better direction than the one we are headed in. This is just overzealously the other direction and given that we're eye deep in leftist degeneracy, I'll allow it.
edit on 4-2-2022 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
They should have been teaching reading and comprehension at your school
Have another bite at the statement

Nope. I'm correct, the law of unintended consequences will backfire on Senator Proud Christian Creationist if this dopey bill gets passed.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Oklahoma Republican Senator Rob Standridge has introduced a bill that would allow people to sue teachers if they offer an opposing view to the religious beliefs held by students.

The proposed act, named the “Students’ Religious Belief Protection Act” mean parents can demand the removal of any book with perceived anti-religious content from school. Subjects like LGBTQ issues, evolution, the big bang theory and even birth control could be off the table.

Source
OK SB1470

Not to be outdone by Virginia snitch line, State Senator Standridge of Oklahoma has decided he wants the state to be a full blown theocracy.

Under the proposed law, teachers would be prohibited from teaching anything that offends a student's religious beliefs. If a teacher is reported for teaching such material, the school must put a stop to it immediately. If the teacher continues they are to be fined $10,000 of their own money and they cannot receive help from any other parties.

If the teacher is unable, or refuses, to pay they are to be terminated and never allowed to teach in Oklahoma again.

The funny thing is, Standridge has two other bills before the Oklahoma Senate that would prevent "indoctrination" in schools. I guess he doesn't consider forcing religion in children as indoctrination.

The rational part of me can't see anyway this passes, and if it did it certainly wouldn't hold up in court. But we live in a crazy world so rationality doesn't really apply.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I thought insane people like this had disappeared.

Although the possibilities for students are near endless. If you don’t feel like doing English that day just say it offends your made up religion. Brilliant.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles
If this were to go through, it seems it would probably inevitably lead to the Schools/Politicians then having to decide which specific Religions would be obeyed and which can be ignored.

Yeah, except for that pesky Constitution thingy getting in their way.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Ok. If a High School Football Coach can be fired because he openly prays before and after a game, because that is State sponsored religion. Then why can a teacher get away with teachings that refute a student's religion?

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Raggedyman
They should have been teaching reading and comprehension at your school
Have another bite at the statement

Nope. I'm correct, the law of unintended consequences will backfire on Senator Proud Christian Creationist if this dopey bill gets passed.

Maybe in the long run the other side of stupid may win.
So democrats talk a big talk but don't do crap.
Then you got Republicans who don't have a back bone besides when they bend over.
Then you got the Trump party just seems to enjoy disruptive behavior like a child.
This country is screwed to some extent.
This bill will probably pass here.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
What if the lesson book says that it takes 300 million years for coal for form under a mountain, and a student is offended because the earth is only 6000 years old, according to the Holy Bible?

You know what's going to happen here, right? The Satanists, comical ****s that they are, will use this to get the Bible tossed from all schools and never mentioned since they will find it 'anti-religious' to them.

Politicians are imbeciles and constantly overlook the law of unintended consequences when crafting laws like this.

yes. Rather than try to make rules that sound ignorant, working towards school choice and having the money follow the student, not the school, would offer opportunity, and as Joe Biden wants, competition. Then if the parent wants their kids taught that the Earth is only 6000 years old, and Coal is a myth, they can find or start that school and not interfere with other kids who may want to know how coal is formed and how long it takes.

eta:
and I am still firmly in the camp that this is all newton's third law playing out. Must counter immense stupid from one side, with equally and opposite stupid from the other.
edit on 4-2-2022 by network dude because: Beto, what a stupid name.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

"State sponsored religion"
Not supposed to be a thing here.
And I suppose said coach encouraged his students to do the same.
Now that would explain why he or she or they got fired.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

While I am against this sort of stuff, this is a better direction than the one we are headed in. This is just overzealously the other direction and given that we're eye deep in leftist degeneracy, I'll allow it.

we need to usher in just a tiny bit of sanity. This really has to stop.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Rather than try to make rules that sound ignorant, working towards school choice and having the money follow the student, not the school, would offer opportunity, and as Joe Biden wants, competition.

I don't have a major problem with that because then the consequences of a really s***** education, which is what will happen with bills likes this, falls squarely on the dimwits who wanted that.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Rather than try to make rules that sound ignorant, working towards school choice and having the money follow the student, not the school, would offer opportunity, and as Joe Biden wants, competition.

I don't have a major problem with that because then the consequences of a really s***** education, which is what will happen with bills likes this, falls squarely on the dimwits who wanted that.

exactly. And they won't have to bring a bunch of innocent kids along for the ride. If you wish to drive to stupidville, go alone.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Once over I would have laughed like # at this and taken the piss out of my colonial cousins.....but its become apparent that if this stupidity is ever allowed over there then it will be only a short matter of time till some self-righteous, narrow minded idiot seeks to impose similar on us over here.

Please stop this before it gets any sort of traction and support.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:52 AM
link   

And they won't have to bring a bunch of innocent kids along for the ride. If you wish to drive to stupidville, go alone.

Are you thinking of the children?

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
Please stop this before it gets any sort of traction and support.

Not to fear my cask ale-guzzling cousin, stuff like this gets shot down in the courts due to the First Amendment even if there were enough dimbulbs in Oklahoma to pass it.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's reassuring.

In this instance I can only express gratitude for your sacred and sacrosanct Constitution.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join