It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma bill would fine teachers $10k for teaching anything that contradicts religion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Oklahoma Republican Senator Rob Standridge has introduced a bill that would allow people to sue teachers if they offer an opposing view to the religious beliefs held by students.

The proposed act, named the “Students’ Religious Belief Protection Act” mean parents can demand the removal of any book with perceived anti-religious content from school. Subjects like LGBTQ issues, evolution, the big bang theory and even birth control could be off the table.

Source
OK SB1470

Not to be outdone by Virginia snitch line, State Senator Standridge of Oklahoma has decided he wants the state to be a full blown theocracy.

Under the proposed law, teachers would be prohibited from teaching anything that offends a student's religious beliefs. If a teacher is reported for teaching such material, the school must put a stop to it immediately. If the teacher continues they are to be fined $10,000 of their own money and they cannot receive help from any other parties.

If the teacher is unable, or refuses, to pay they are to be terminated and never allowed to teach in Oklahoma again.

The funny thing is, Standridge has two other bills before the Oklahoma Senate that would prevent "indoctrination" in schools. I guess he doesn't consider forcing religion in children as indoctrination.

The rational part of me can't see anyway this passes, and if it did it certainly wouldn't hold up in court. But we live in a crazy world so rationality doesn't really apply.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

This is about teachers going away from their job of teaching to teach their own ideologies to the students.

I was a teacher for a while, I had a lesson to follow, nowhere in that lesson said it was my job to teach anything else but what it was in the lesson books.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Why should we allow ANYONE to impose beliefs on children that aren't theirs?

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Muslims loving every second of it 🤓

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This is an anti-Marxist Law. Bravo 😃

Good to protect Children from wild thinking nuts from contaminated mental colleges 😎

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

No it's not. Certain creationists,fundamentalists believe the earth is a few thousand years old. They do not believe in dinosaurs, evolution, etc. This law would forbid a teacher from teaching facts as it goes against a religious belief. Then an individual teacher can be fined for teaching facts.

Along with all the book removals, and other new bills, along with many congress people insisting they will work to bring God back in schools, it seems as if public education will form into Christian education.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Why should we allow ANYONE to impose beliefs on children that aren't theirs?

So if a kid believes that the Heavens and Earth were created in the last 10,000 years, a geology teacher can’t tell the kid that the Rocky Mountains have been evolving to their present form for more than 50 million years and then present the evidence that supports that claim?

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I was a teacher for a while, I had a lesson to follow, nowhere in that lesson said it was my job to teach anything else but what it was in the lesson books.

What if the lesson book says that it takes 300 million years for coal for form under a mountain, and a student is offended because the earth is only 6000 years old, according to the Holy Bible?

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I think this bill is perfect. We need more entitled snowflakes moving out into the adult world who can't deal with subjects that don't align with their own little slice of perceived reality.

Waiting for the Everyone Gets a Trophy bill next.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

You and 1947boomer are offering a scenario I can not refute, actually this can complicate the books that are used for teaching.

Now, I know that evolution has been scratch for the classroom due to religious rights, I can see now the nightmare that this will create.

After all I was a Spanish teacher, interestingly it was funny when one of the lessons were in how close nuclear families were within the Latino community, then I remember that many children in the classroom were from single parents, kind of hard to explain certain things.

I agree guys, this can become a big nightmare, I see the bill dead on arrival

More reasons for parents to teach their children at home.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

You are supposed to stick with the lessons, no matter what, actually.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Great. No more Muslim bashing. Can't say anything bad about Islam. And keep your comments about cannabis to yourself, because The Church of Cannabis might not like it.

AND please don't say anything about Satan, because the Church of Satan may get offended.

Once again, Christians believe that THEIRS is the only religion. Wrong.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
What if the lesson book says that it takes 300 million years for coal for form under a mountain, and a student is offended because the earth is only 6000 years old, according to the Holy Bible?

You know what's going to happen here, right? The Satanists, comical ****s that they are, will use this to get the Bible tossed from all schools and never mentioned since they will find it 'anti-religious' to them.

Politicians are imbeciles and constantly overlook the law of unintended consequences when crafting laws like this.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
They should have been teaching reading and comprehension at your school
Have another bite at the statement

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

And what's illegal about people thinking what they want despite YOUR wild sick in the head authoritarian bulls#t attitudes ?? 😃

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:30 AM
link   
So no more science and no more physics... Replace them with fairy tales about magicians who can change the chemical compounds of things with only their minds.

Obviously, this whole notion is highly flawed, but one particular problem is that different religions believe different types of fairy tales, so they might as well go ahead and segregate the classes based on each individual student's personal beliefs.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:33 AM
link   

The wording may need some changing, but what you claim is untrue, it's not about that. It's about schools and teachers forcing progressive views on students. For instance having activists come in and tell Kindergartners they should be gay and touch themselves in private because it feels good. Parents have no say according to schools.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
I have an authoritarian attitude because I pointed out a teacher may be fined for pointing out facts? If you are concerned about your child receiving an education that may not teach facts, but instead beliefs, of any religion then send them to a private school that teaches what you want them to believe.

My parents did. 12 years of catholic education. Had to actually find out certain facts outside of school. Besides a priest molesting some boys, Nuns verbally and physically abusing kids, and turning me off organized religion, they did a great job.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   

edit on 4-2-2022 by GV1997 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You know what's going to happen here, right? The Satanists, comical ****s that they are, will use this to get the Bible tossed from all schools and never mentioned since they will find it 'anti-religious' to them.

If this were to go through, it seems it would probably inevitably lead to the Schools/Politicians then having to decide which specific Religions would be obeyed and which can be ignored.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join