It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hydrogen powered vehicles could rival electric

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Personally, I think that nothing sensible will come of it. Development will die in the early stages. The big battery manufacturers will simply not give a chance for their development. There were a lot of similar developments (and a spherical internal combustion engine, and a hydrogen engine, and large compressed air engines), but none of them became mass-produced. This is solely my opinion and if someone disagrees with it, I will be glad to discuss this topic.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Johnmo89
Personally, I think that nothing sensible will come of it. Development will die in the early stages. The big battery manufacturers will simply not give a chance for their development. There were a lot of similar developments (and a spherical internal combustion engine, and a hydrogen engine, and large compressed air engines), but none of them became mass-produced. This is solely my opinion and if someone disagrees with it, I will be glad to discuss this topic.

sadly your more right than you think

lots of tech , material, machines, ect that can make/do things efficiently, last long time and more to the point, CHEAPLY .
they are bought up and/or people threatened into silence so they never see the light of day.

past known examples

the turbine car that could run off literally any burnable liquid substance was gathered back up and destroyed.
one reason was (laughable and used often) "too expensive/ not economically viable".

they started a study of using used up tires , chipping them up and putting it into asphalt roadways.
when the study was showing that the roads lasted LONGER (by alot) from standard asphalt roads and YOU COULD USE RECYCLED ASPHALT with very similar results.
they STOPPED THE STUDY COLD.
with no really published conclusions .

hell when i lived in SD they came up with a way of using metal fittings and CHEAP made foam type sheets (i believe even made with recycled material) to basically build a house frame and walls (yes have to add the rest) cheap and fast.
but was ended (as similar projects have today) because it "doesnt meet current building codes"

why should this tech be any different

scrounger

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: scrounger

Shrugs

By Katey Cook
Published: Dec. 22, 2020 at 12:06 AM EST
BUTLER COUNTY, Ky. (WBKO) - In 2016, the Division of Waste Management started a program that allowed for Kentucky counties to apply for a grant, provided by the state, to repair a road using rubber modified asphalt (RMA). The RMA is made out of recycled waste tires. You can click here to read more about the program and see what other counties are involved.

www.wbko.com...

In 2017, 13% of U.S. tires removed from their primary use were sold in the used tire market. Of the tires that were scrapped, 43% were burnt as tire-derived fuel, with cement manufacturing the largest user, another 25% were used to make ground rubber, 8% were used in civil engineering projects, 17% were disposed of in landfills and 8% had other uses.[6]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: scrounger

I am guessing there is also a volume discrepancy between the amount of asphalt used vs waste tires generated.

The US alone sends between 246 million and 300 million end-of-life tires to waste annually.
www.azocleantech.com...

Vs

Scope and Scale of the Industry
 The U.S. has roughly 3,500 asphalt production sites and produces about 350 million metric tons per year.
 Of the 2.6 million miles of paved roads in the U.S., over 94 percent are surfaced with asphalt.
 There is approximately 18 billion tons of asphalt pavement on America’s roads.
 Between 85 and 90 percent of all runways at the nation's 3,364 commercial airports are
surfaced with asphalt pavement.
 Over 90 percent of the parking areas are surfaced with asphalt pavement.

www.asphaltpavement.org...

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

I think the discrepancy is they DONT WANT TO use recycled tires because

a. you would use less asphalt thus cutting into their profit (used tires are damn near free given they have to PAY someone to take them away).
b. if the roads last longer, needing less replacement.. cutting into profits
c. given the expansion/contraction the rubber can do cutting down on repairs needed
thus cutting down on profits in repair..

the common denominator in all this... CUTTING PROFITS TO COMPANIES involved in providing asphalt and road work.

given the number of roads being repaired, redone, and new ones..

it should be reasonable to presume there would be no massive tire piles and used tires they pay you something to get them.

scrounger

top topics

<< 1   >>

join