It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Four Agreements

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hanslune

originally posted by: bluesfreak

Tsk, tsk. So you are saying the moderation here is biased for us? I hadn't noticed that. I left here because moderation against trolls was NOT done. I visit only rarely now. You feel bad because we so often corrected your lies and misstatements? That isn't our fault its yours.

I'd be interested in seeing all the insults I hurtled at you care to list them?

Guess you didn't know that some people (snowflakes) are highly insulted when it is pointed out that they are wrong.

Harte

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: didntasktobeborned

Reason for posting In this forum, The Four Agreements of life are derived from the wisdom of the Toltec people. They are from a book written by Don Miguel Ruiz.

Well.. it's not exactly an "ancient" philosophy. It's New Age and I'm afraid it's swiped from Buddhism...which is no problem. Buddhism is ancient (500 BC) and has a lot of things in it that I like.

And some I don't, but that's another discussion.

I have this concept that I named Hitlers Time Machine, this is when some despicable piece of garbage in life comes up with an idea. There are two sides to Hitlers Time Machine conundrum..Kill Hitler , take the time machine and use it, or kill Hitler and destroy the time machine..In Lord of the Rings its pretty cut and dry, the Ring can't be used for good period. Gets destroyed. Real life..not so cut and dry. Yup kill Hitler...But its a freakin time machine!..So anytime someone who isn't worth the powder it would take sends some stupidity my way I consider Hitlers Time machine, among other things..Such as these 4 agreements, or Corners if You will.

Medicine and science wrestle with this one... the Nazi death camp experiments come to mind. They produced data that we use today... but the things they did were horrific. Other technologies come from an equally evil background, but are used today in beneficial ways. And there are some beneficial things that were done/attempted that later (the rule of "Unintended consequences") that turn out wrong.

So... a lot of what we have around us is the result of bazillions of "time machine" decisions; using something done by a horrible person.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS ON THE FOUR PRINCIPLES:

Viewed from a historical perspective, this seems a bit problematic. What's fine in one age (medieval England, getting confessions by 'the rack' or red hot pokers (etc. Don't want to go into too much detail) is abhorrent in another age. We can say something is against society standards but then we have to ask "whose society and standards." For a horrifying (well, to women) modern example, there's Female Genital Mutilation or other extreme practices.

In fact, for some societies on the planet right now, YOUR beliefs and practices that you think are standard would be considered barbaric (many First World countries have outlawed executing criminals as one example.)

I think as personal standards it's a noble thing to aspire to. But when you start trying to meddle in social prescriptions, you start getting into shaky ground.

And then there's the whole issue of "speak the truth" -- if you don't have full information on something then what you say may be misinformed (Aristotle thought a woman's womb migrated around the body. He was speaking what he knew to be truth... but it wasn't true at all.)

I think it's a great set of philosophies that owe much to much older writings. On a personal level they were good back then but like old Plato said (or, rather, he said that Socrates said) we see reality as a shadow plan on the wall of a cave and the truth may be far more complicated than the images we see (and I will add "may depend on where you sit." If you're sitting behind a guy with a huge hat, you're not even seeing the whole play)

One should keep that in mind when speaking truths.

(my 4 obols worth...)

edit on 4-3-2022 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 08:32 PM
link   

edit on 4-3-2022 by didntasktobeborned because: crap

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 08:32 PM
link   

One standing on toilet is high on pot.

Interesting book..Where Women Have No Doctors..cant remember the author, but had it downloaded for part of my reference stash in my BOB.

I like The Cave by the way.

And 'ancient' was probably the wrong word, thanks for the correction. To me its supersoniclly ancient, but in comparison with the water that wraps the cosmos where the dragons live then its pretty new.
edit on 4-3-2022 by didntasktobeborned because: punch

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: didntasktobeborned

One standing on toilet is high on pot.

Interesting book..Where Women Have No Doctors..cant remember the author, but had it downloaded for part of my reference stash in my BOB.

It's a scary read, and not for the faint of heart in some sections. Most of it applies to rural Africa.

And 'ancient' was probably the wrong word, thanks for the correction. To me its supersoniclly ancient, but in comparison with the water that wraps the cosmos where the dragons live then its pretty new.

(chuckle) I'm one of the ones for whom these books are "...wasn't that just published the other year?" I often forget that they weren't part of other people's young adult experience.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Not sure. I encountered it seven or so years ago. It was part of some class material. a reply to:

Byrd

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Tsk, tsk. So you are saying the moderation here is biased for us? I hadn't noticed that. I left here because moderation against trolls was NOT done. I visit only rarely now. You feel bad because we so often corrected your lies and misstatements? That isn't our fault its yours.

I don’t feel bad . And WHAT lies? List them.
It’s a statement of fact that you pair are levels ruder than anyone else on this forum .
I’ve been in here years and watched you do it,
If you wish to ‘educate ‘ people less informed than you claim to be , your rudeness should take a back seat . That goes for the pseudo-academic Harte too- a man whose Wikipedia mentality gives him no more credence than anyone else here.

And by the way, in our previous discussions on other threads on AE stonework/tooling you have corrected me on nothing .
My job is tooling and machining and I could debate you into next week on tooling/resultant cuts and forensic marking .
Pointless though , as people like you have already made up your mind .
Harte responds by ‘name calling’ obviously not knowing I’m not of the ‘snowflake ‘ generation . Far too old for that mate.
When it comes to my deep experience and knowledge in machining and tooling and fabrication, i’m an Iceberg in your path. a reply to: Hanslune

edit on 5-3-2022 by bluesfreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Guess you didn't know that some people (snowflakes) are highly insulted when it is pointed out that they are wrong.

See post above , Wiki-boy . a reply to: Harte

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 07:15 PM
link   

See post above , Wiki-boy . a reply to: Harte

See what I mean Hans?
This person's inner child is getting out and, like a child, cannot conceive of being wrong.
So, when anyone tries to cure the ignorance that he clings so desperately to, he experiences that as an "insult." Because God knows it can't possibly be that he is wrong.

Harte
edit on 3/5/2022 by Harte because: of the wonderful things he does!

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Nothing to do with being wrong. It’s just your decades of rudeness I despise.
You just don’t like being called out for it, when beyond countless times i have watched you insult people on here.
There’s absolutely no need for it .
No other posters here talk to others as you and Hans do, everyone is very cordial with replies to each other .
You are the one that resorted to childish name-calling , I just stated a fact that you are a pseudo-academic who doesn’t like being called out over your continued rudeness to others on here.
And the minute someone (me) is rude about you , you really don’t it like it do you?
There’s an old cockney expression my Nan used to say:
“ all mouth and no trousers” which being an old expression fits surprisingly well for modern keyboard warriors/bullies such as yourself .

a reply to: Harte

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Nothing to do with being wrong. It’s just your decades of rudeness I despise.
You just don’t like being called out for it, when beyond countless times i have watched you insult people on here.
There’s absolutely no need for it .
No other posters here talk to others as you and Hans do, everyone is very cordial with replies to each other .
You are the one that resorted to childish name-calling , I just stated a fact that you are a pseudo-academic who doesn’t like being called out over your continued rudeness to others on here.
And the minute someone (me) is rude about you , you really don’t it like it do you?
There’s an old cockney expression my Nan used to say:
“ all mouth and no trousers” which being an old expression fits surprisingly well for modern keyboard warriors/bullies such as yourself .

a reply to: Harte

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Don’t know why it double posted . Apologies to everyone else.

posted on Mar, 12 2022 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I don’t feel bad . And WHAT lies? List them.

Sure right after you answer my question asked previously before yours:

Tsk, tsk. So you are saying the moderation here is biased for us? I hadn't noticed that. I left here because moderation against trolls was NOT done. I visit only rarely now. You feel bad because we so often corrected your lies and misstatements? That isn't our fault its yours. I'd be interested in seeing all the insults I hurtled at you care to list them?

I'll wait... oh and if you make a similar claim against me without evidence I will get the mods involved.

And by the way, in our previous discussions on other threads on AE stonework/tooling you have corrected me on nothing .

The classic fringe reset. Claim you weren't wrong when you were. Okay, so you think putting fingers in your ears and screaming la la la la will work...LOL

My job is tooling and machining and I could debate you into next week on tooling/resultant cuts and forensic marking .

...and I've worked with ancient tools and rocks and it is very clear you don't know what you are talking about. Odd you cannot get all this written up and presented as a paper and change the world - why is that? Chuckle

edit on 12/3/22 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2022 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Harte

deleted

So please expose me list all those vicious attacks - oh, wait your lying....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join