It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS lost my 2020 return

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2022 @ 06:41 PM
link   
So I get a letter in the mail yesterday from the IRS. Always a bright spot in anyone's day. Upon reading the letter, they are claiming that they have not received my tax return for 2020. However they have indicated that they have a credit in our tax account. Which, coincidentally enough, matches the amount of the check that was enclosed in the envelope along with that aforementioned tax return.

Funny thing is, we always send in paper returns, and we always send them via USPS CERTIFIED MAIL. Meaning signature required upon delivery to the recipient. So I have a receipt showing that someone (probably the same someone who secured the payment check for the IRS) obviously received that envelope.

They want me to send them another paper return. I'm thinking maybe I should try to call them on the phone, but something tells me I will be put on hold for the better part of the day.

Should I just go ahead and send a copy of the return, or just send them a copy of the cancelled check and the certified mail receipt and suggest that they FIND that return they have obviously lost? To be perfectly honest, neither I nor my wife really want to go into the post office during their regular business hours while this COVID stuff is still floating around. We have been avoiding going into buildings of any sort as much as humanly possible for the duration. Just rankles my nerves that the IRS wants to foist this sort of crap on us, due to no fault of our own.

BTW, I was reading segments online and it appears that the IRS claims they have NEVER lost a return. Sorry, I beg to differ. Got hard evidence right here in my hot little paw.

edit on 26-1-2022 by Rich Z because: Minor spelling errrrrrr.

posted on Jan, 26 2022 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Rich Z

Nope, same here.

Reigning champion of 09` 10` 11" and 2012. Same thing almost exactly, the got the papers with the check....

Cashed check, then actually send the return.
Year goes by... oh hey, we haven't received your taxes from such n such year. Credit after credit, payment after payment.
Finally resolved by 2012.

Edit: big glitch.. ats got glitchy😑
edit on 26-1-2022 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2022 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Did you actually resend them those "missing" returns again?

posted on Jan, 26 2022 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I have been following the "where's my refund?" links on the IRS website, as well. I usually file my taxes electronically, but they requested that I did it by mail this time. I had it certified through USPS, and recieved a receipt.

I kept checking the status, and eventually the status read "received but not processed" due to being backed up from last year's filings. Around November this year, the IRS says they have no record of the filing.

I thought it weird that the vote by mail-in was pushed so hard, and that I was forced to mail in a paper copy for the first time, all in the same year, an election year, and while they were already backed up from the previous year.

I haven't received anything from the IRS, but I'm sure they'll have something to say if I don't file this year. I'm still not sure what I'll do.

posted on Jan, 26 2022 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Did you try to register on the IRS's website using the ID.me portal? I gave up after it crashed trying to get me to do a selfie video of myself. Who thinks up this nonsense?

posted on Jan, 26 2022 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I am a retired state tax customer service agent (20+ years) and former professional tax preparer.

The IRS, like state tax agencies, DO NOT sign for returns sent via certified mail; the signature is actually that of a US postal service employee.

When your return is received by the IRS, it is sent through a mail opening machine that suits open the envelope, removes the check (software identifies the check as well as reading the magnetic MICR code on the check, stamps a tracking number on the check a matching number on the return, then sorts the checks received and the returns received into separate batches to be processed by separate divisions within the agency.

It is very easy for returns, a checks to get lost in the process due to the handling and sheer volume of documents being handled.

In point of fact, sending your return via certified mail only provides you with one advantage: if your filing (return and/or payment is lost, the Agency will acknowledge that you filed as of the date stamped on the mail receipt.

But, as I used to have to remind taxpayers claiming that the sent checks with their returns via certified mail, there is NO WAY to "certify" what was Actually contained in the sealed envelope they claimed to have sent; we would just take their word (in most cases) that it was an valid return, or, in the case of a check, we would direct them to provide proof of Stop Payment from their bank on the check.

All the more reason to file and pay electronically!

posted on Jan, 26 2022 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I have been using their system successfully for years. It was also working the entire year, now the site says that I must be putting in the wrong credentials since they can't find information on me. I've not changed one thing, so I'm pretty upset and confused.

a reply to: Mantiss2021

I'm glad you have inside information to help us understand. Do you have an understanding why they would require me to mail in my tax file, the first time ever (I've been doing taxes since 2005)? I'm also confused as to why they would claim they have my file, tell me to wait on it to be processed, and then magically not in the system?

I just want someone to give me a reason. So far, you're the most "official" tax clerk to respond. Not even my local representatives have responded, much less an irs agent.
edit on 26-1-2022 by JefeFeesh because: didn't need a second reply

posted on Jan, 26 2022 @ 11:14 PM
link   
In my case I am 71 years old and have been paying my taxes every year since, well, I don't remember the first time I had to file taxes, but it was quite a long time ago. The IRS most certainly has this on record. So why on God's green earth would the IRS claim that I did not file my 2020 taxes? They obviously got the check for that tax return year, or do they seriously think I would just send off a random check out of the blue to them for no reason? Is it not possible for them to just admit that they LOST the return, instead of making it appear that I did not file it? And if I do have to send them another printout, are they then going to charge me penalties for late filing? All because of THEIR screw up? They could at least send me a postage paid envelope as a minor sort of apology!

As for them signing for receipt of the return, SOMEONE acting as an agent of the IRS certainly DID sign for it. Otherwise the US Postal Service would be making a false claim if they just signed for it themselves and it was not actually delivered to the actual recipient. I would think that would qualify as postal fraud. At the very least I was defrauded for paying for the CERTIFIED MAIL service if I did not actually receive that service. I PAID to have that envelope delivered to the addressee, paid EXTRA to have it signed by the designated recipient, and as far as I am concerned, it was. The reason I paid for that enhanced service was exactly for this sort of reason. In case the IRS lost my return.

posted on Jan, 26 2022 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Just send them both. A copy of the original filing, and a canceled check copy.

posted on Jan, 27 2022 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: JefeFeesh

Some returns require forms, schedules, or other supporting documents which the IRS cannot process electronically.

Such returns must be filed as paper returns.

Without having prepared your return myself, I could not give you a more precise answer as to why you were required to paper file.

And I would not recommend that you disclose details of the return you filed on a public forum like this for obvious security reasons.

As to why the IRS would tell you that they had your file, that it was processing, and then tell you that the return was not in the system...there could be many reasons.

The most common reason, especially with paper filed returns, is that one or more pages of the return (or a critical schedule/supporting document) either was not included in the filing (an "Incomplete Return" in the parlance), or became detached from the return in processing, and us now one of millions of pages floating around the receiving unit.

ETA: IRS form 8453, available on their website, details some of the forms which you might be required to file with your return, but which cannot be electronically filed at this time, and would result in you being asked to paper file your return. Although, there is a "workaround" which would allow you to e-file the form1040 , and mail the schedules separately.
edit on 27-1-2022 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2022 @ 11:50 PM
link   
FYI, I am looking at the Certified Mail receipt for my 2020 tax return, and it shows as having been received and signed for by:

J.P. Morgan Charlotte. NC
AGENT FOR INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE
RECEIVED

I will be sending them a signed copy of my return along with copies of the cancelled check, the Certified Mail Receipt, and a copy of the copy of the original signed page of my return.

They LOST it, pure and simple.

new topics

top topics

join