It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multi-tools

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik
I confined myself to a few forums here, my foster dad was a member here too and it's still hard stumbling across his posts. I know the forums he's been at. But I am reaching out my antennas slowly, it's about time

And yes I missed it, probably because the focus wasn't survival but every day work. I asked a survival question and got no answer to it though, just as I expected.

The question was, how many times did you (different member) strand somewhere and the multitool was what got you out of there. From a survival viewpoint a multitool might be handy but it's also risking a lot on just one device. You loose that or it breaks and you loose a complete toolbox.

Survival is a broad topic and again I say multitools have their useful situations but it's not the all to go like it's made to be. If you are roaming around on survival that means you also have a situation where lot's of people did not survive. There will be enough tools everywhere.

I understand the kick searching for THE one though, as it means better chances and on survival preparation we want to max out all chances. Just don't pound on this being the survival forum to make a point because the OP isn't about survival in a single sentence.

It's about every day work.

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Well, I did put this in "Survival" because that was the context of my original thought, but you make a good point. I kind of thought the 'survival' element was implied, though you are correct, I didn't say anything of the sort in my posts on this subject to date. The truth is, I carry a MT more often than during the Apocalypse, so there's that.

One thing I did not mean to infer though was that the MT is the "only" tool anyone should ever carry. That would just be silly. Good point though; I don't wait for Armageddon to strap a MT on my belt.

I guess the way I look at it is like this, any tool can be used improperly, not just a MT. Ironically, "pliers" are probably the worst offender in the misuse category. People often use them as everything BUT a pair of pliers; they get used as a hammer, a screwdriver, a wrench and a multitude of other functions. MT's are no different.

The other day I was working on a windshield on a UTV. It was held in place by a series of 10mm bolts and nuts. I realized that all of my 10mm combination wrenches had gone missing. Could I have just used the MT? Possibly, but I didn't. Instead, I went inside and ordered (5) 10mm open/box-end wrenches hoping that the next time I needed one I might have a prayer of finding at least one. (Mind you, I'm a nut about cleaning and putting all my tools away after every use, but not everyone in this household is the same way). So, I could have used a MT to 'bastardize' the bolts and nuts I was tightening, but I didn't.

As I noted earlier, a MT will not 'boil the ocean', or solve 'world hunger', but a MT may help you out when you need a little assistance. It is, after all, a "tool", and like any other it will not do the work for you, but it may make life a little easier...IF used properly.

Will life as we know it cease to exist if everyone doesn't own a MT? Hardly! The vast majority of Earthlings can get by in life just fine never owning a MT. I choose to own one, and that's just personal preference (for me). And I respect other's choices one way or the other.

And, I guess that's really all I have to say about it. To each their own.

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Just cleared it up because it was held against me that I do not adhere to a survival topic, not to blame you on anything

I think my entry into this thread was a bit strong worded and should have cleared up some things as well as you did now. No you didn't ever say that a MT is the only tool to carry nor wanted to imply.

I also wrote, in hindsight of knowing what you do on your land and the work that comes with it, that MTs can be very useful if you don't know what you might face. Like in spaces hardly reachable with a toolbox. Or if you know you are just going to do this 10 second thing. Then a MT is sure golden.

But let's say you go fencing, I bet you would select a plier with a grip that is ergonomic and allows you to use it a full day constantly without getting pain and cramps at the end of the day.

They all have their usage but I still disagree, although I understood that MTs are different for different purposes, that I just got the wrong tool. Maybe it's my profession that makes me scoff at these mostly. I scoff at a lot of other practices other people do daily. I scoff at the practice, not the people.

I care for stuff and I can't see it, if a tool or in my case mostly engines are mistreated. I saw and had to fix horror repairs and I had to deal with ripped off screws and round "licked" hexagons because the home gamer thought he'd go at it with something like pliers or a multitool. Or one of these adjustable ones *shudder*

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Buvvy
If anyone has a lightweight multi-tool recommendations I am all ears!

There are many like it, but this one is mine (after much research)

Like some in this thread, I am not a MT guy. This one hangs off my bags in a readily reachable place. They're good for small jobs you may find yourself needing to do unexpectedly. They may be great for barter under the right conditions.

When I was on active duty, I carried half a dozen Leatherman with me when I went to the field. I'd hand these out as awards to Soldiers who made a difference ... while the bigwigs handed out coins.

One simple warning if a bug out happens: don't accidentally cut yourself.

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Handy hint:

String all the box ends of your box end wrenches on a cheap carabiner of the right size. Place those inside a Kline canvas zippered pouch (or any quality made pouch). This is what I use in my “doctors bag” style toolbox’s in the car.

It was because of feeling like I was digging around in a purse that I reorganized tools into pouches into the bag. Label with a Sharpie and finding the right tool is quick…even if you rolled the toolbox a few times.

Does this take an extra minute for setup and clean up? Yes, but you know immediately if anything is missing. Especially with the sudden length gap on a set of wrenches laid out or strung in order.

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Already ahead of ya! Completely agree 100%. I have a kit like that in a canvas 'tanker' bag in every one of my vehicles. In the truck I keep both SAE and metric wrenches just how you describe. Keeps them all together and organized by size. Works GREAT!

Have other tools and supplies in those bags too.

I don't use a carabiner, but what I do use is one of those clips (like a carabiner) that you can get at Harbor Freight for about a buck. They will hold a full set of wrenches each.

One of the other super-handy tools I have is a pair of EO Saftey Wire / Fusing wire pliers and a roll of stainless fusing wire (like they use on aircraft ordnance fuses). That is the handiest setup you can ever carry!

This is what I'm talking about

The wrench keeper rings kind of look like THIS, but mine are kidney shaped so they hold more wrenches.

edit on 1/21/2022 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain

This part in the OP:

A multi-tool actually saved my life one day.

and this afterwards:

I'm not going to go work on a high performance engine with a multi-tool, but when I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere a tool like this can save your bacon. AND, all you have to do is need and use it once in a pinch and it was worth the entire purchase price.

made it seem quite clear that it wasn't about every day work.
edit on 21-1-2022 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Well, I did put this in "Survival" because that was the context of my original thought, but you make a good point. I kind of thought the 'survival' element was implied, though you are correct, I didn't say anything of the sort in my posts on this subject to date. The truth is, I carry a MT more often than during the Apocalypse, so there's that.

That's from FCD.

Any further questions or do you want to call out FCD too for it? You are being ridiculous but nice to know the forum police is up and alert

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain
Why would I call him out for saying that he did put it in "Survival" because that was the context of his original thought and then just broadened it a little because a MT might also be useful every now and then even if not a real survival situation?

ETA: What is ridiculous is your fencing scenario when OP already said under normal circumstances they always opt for the right tool for the job, at least a few times.

edit on 21-1-2022 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I confined myself to a few forums here, my foster dad was a member here too and it's still hard stumbling across his posts. I know the forums he's been at. But I am reaching out my antennas slowly, it's about time

And yes I missed it, probably because the focus wasn't survival but every day work. I asked a survival question and got no answer to it though, just as I expected.

The question was, how many times did you (different member) strand somewhere and the multitool was what got you out of there. From a survival viewpoint a multitool might be handy but it's also risking a lot on just one device. You loose that or it breaks and you loose a complete toolbox.

Survival is a broad topic and again I say multitools have their useful situations but it's not the all to go like it's made to be. If you are roaming around on survival that means you also have a situation where lot's of people did not survive. There will be enough tools everywhere.

I understand the kick searching for THE one though, as it means better chances and on survival preparation we want to max out all chances. Just don't pound on this being the survival forum to make a point because the OP isn't about survival in a single sentence.

Would you rather have a multi-tool if you were stranded somewhere and your survival depended on it, or would you rather have nothing?

That's the point of a multi-tool.

The point isn't that you're going to rebuild an engine with one.

The point is that you can cut your seatbelt if you're trapped in your car.

Or breaking the window if you need to get out.

Or cutting your shirt for a bandage.

Or opening a can or bottle.

Or pulling out a splinter.

Or cutting your nails.

Or feathering some wood for a fire.

Or notching wood for a deadfall trap.

Or cutting or making cordage.

Or any number of tasks having to do with fishing.

You know, things that would be beneficial in a survival situation, where you wouldn't have a machine shop at your disposal.

And just because I haven't been in a survival situation where I've needed one, doesn't mean I'm not going to carry all 7oz of a tool that could save my life if I was ever in a survival situation just because it doesn't include a torque wrench.
edit on 8-2-2022 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: rounda
You just took a long complicated way to describe everything a good survival knife can do.

It has even more inside the grip, including a fishing hook even, if you like fish.

Believe me you are far better off with a good knife, or maybe not.

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 01:27 PM
link   

You just took a long complicated way to describe everything a good survival knife can do.

It has even more inside the grip, including a fishing hook even, if you like fish.

Believe me you are far better off with a good knife, or maybe not.

Cool, you go ahead and break your knife on some screws or a can. Have fun clipping your toe nails with that knife.

You realize most people who have one of these for survival *also* carry a knife, right?

We get it. You would rather have a toolbox with name brand tools with you everywhere you go so you could just grab a chainsaw out of it, cut down a tree, and build a rocketship to fly you home.

But that's not what a multitool is for. Its for when you don't have that toolbox, and you don't mind 7oz on your belt.

It's weird, because my dog won't let me get near her with full size scissors, but she doesn't mind having her knots cut out when it's with the tiny scissors on my Gerber. And when my can opener broke in the middle of making dinner, being able to open a can without going to the store was awesome. And when I split a nail pulling and old rusted pump out of a swamp cooler, I was a hell of a lot more comfortable finishing the replacement after trimming the nail down and filing it with my Gerber... and I didn't have to climb off the roof...

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Great, now go read the text you quoted initially and try understand it.

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Great, now go read the text you quoted initially and try understand it.

I responded to that, smart guy. Go read what i said and try to understand it. Literally the first three sentences in my response.

I even gave you examples of when having specific pieces of a mutitool was better than having the alternative (or Gasp! a Rambo knife!), or even climbing off a roof to get to a toolbox.

It's great that YOU don't see a reason to have a multitool, but there are tons of people, like me, who see the value in them, and think they are valuable pieces in their EDC arsenal, even if we have other tools available to us.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 05:51 PM
link   
My multi-tool is being pulled out of it's sheath about a dozen times a day.
All those small tasks like opening mail or parcels, tightening the odd screw or nut, sharpening pencils, cutting threads, opening bottles..
I carry a Victorinox SwissTool Spirit with the wrench and bits. Very useful.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join