It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multi-tools

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Fencing pliers were the original multitool.
They did what was required for fixing the fence and you didn't need to carry four different tools.
And they didn't suck for any of the tasks required.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Not mad at all! And I welcome differing opinions.

I was just trying to point out that there is no single "right" answer here, just shades of grey.

No worries.

Nothing "glorious" about this thread. As noted, just some discussion.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Fencing pliers were the original multitool.
They did what was required for fixing the fence and you didn't need to carry four different tools.
And they didn't suck for any of the tasks required.

You're 100% correct, they actually were too. I do think some of the current generation are improvements.

Earlier I noted in the OP how a tool saved my life. One of the cows (and me) got tangled up in our fence trying to jump a panel. It was double strand 12.5 ga. steel barb wire. Only thing I had on me was my LM Wave MT. Cut through that wire like butter (but there might have been a wee bit of adrenalin flowin' at the time!). Everyone was fine, thankfully.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

this is almost like the other thread...

There is only one multi tool and MacGyver knew about it..

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

We have the saying, if someone only has a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Therefor, if one only relies on a multitool, everything has to look like it's made for the multitool.

When it is not 99% of the time. The idea of someone fudging around in any appliance with a multitool gives me the creeps. Sure, yes, twist some wires, open a lid here and there... One feels mighty with such a multitool, reality is most suck and there are, for a good reason better tools.

The think is, once someone has multitool, especially the expensive ones, like I wrote... only have a hammer, everythings a nail. Want to use that multitool, someone will find a way to use it.

The question is, further than crude caveman work, a multi tool isn't going to cut it. Pun intended.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 11:14 AM
link   
If anyone has a lightweight multi-tool recommendations I am all ears! For my longer backpacking trips every sIngle ounce makes a difference.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I should buy another Gerber tool to carry around with me, but I wear bibs all the time and they do not have a belt. Damn that hernia patch, it is worse than the hernia they fixed when wearing pants with a belt. Even without the belt, it presses on the patch unless I get a super big waste size, then they look all crumby looking, the bibs work better.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Housewife tool... That was a good one.

But men... men would go the shop to get their drill and a paint mixer to make pasta dough

There is over-/underkill to discovered in these dynamics I found to be pretty amusing. Like lighting up Terry The Terrible Acetylene Torch in the shop kitchen to make creme brulee.

It can work, but does not want to most of the times.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Housewife tool... That was a good one.

But men... men would go the shop to get their drill and a paint mixer to make pasta dough

There is over-/underkill to discovered in these dynamics I found to be pretty amusing. Like lighting up Terry The Terrible Acetylene Torch in the shop kitchen to make creme brulee.

It can work, but does not want to most of the times.

Lmao.

Yea I've seen and done some stupid crap in the shop myself a few times.

Reminds me of a little Asian women I saw giving mani/pedis with a Milwaukee rotary gun and her own custom made attachments...at like 2400 rpm..lol

Zhing....oops you don't need that toe anyway...

edit on 1/20/2022 by MykeNukem because: lol

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Talking about multitools....

There is a thing, it started with some crazy guys in Rally cars, packing a can with Bavarian sausages next to the turbocharger on hill climb races. A German manufacturer team did that on Pikes Peak and the sausages were just a tad undone after reaching the top.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Wow...this topic seems to be a lightning rod.

What an absolutely useless tool!

Personally, I think they are useful for selected tasks, but wow...I guess they suck!

Carry on!

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Buvvy
If anyone has a lightweight multi-tool recommendations I am all ears! For my longer backpacking trips every sIngle ounce makes a difference.

Gosh, I don't!!

They ALL suck! Don't ever buy one, they're awful and have no purpose other than bastadizing everything they touch! Most wretched tool ever imagined by mankind!!

These tools will absolutely spoil any outing you ever have, even if it is going to lunch at Village Inn. Honest!

The Joker issues everyone one of these tools at the gates to Hell! They suck!

That is all!

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 07:02 PM
link   
If a car can be used to heat sausages then that makes it a multi tool and I wrote that without any spite.

I can also draw letters on tarmac with them if you give me enough space to work with.

That does not mean the car is best at that, only that it can be repurposed. We had that topic already, I wrote multitools have their usage but my opinion is they are overrated.

You put way too much energy in threads like this, it's just an entry in some database where opinions are exchanged. If you get all hurt feelz because in one of 20 threads you make, you get a challenging opinion, then maybe reconsider how healthy this is for you. Saying this honestly and not to annoy you.

You are acting like a little child that got denied something. In the time I wrote this post you did it again. Read my words and think about it. All the best. Just look at what you did, in your own thread you respond mocking to a member that actually wants to have a discussion with you, the one you reply above this post.

edit on 20.1.2022 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Baby, my feelings never get hurt, 99.9% of the stuff I write is for other people.

You have a very profound and foward opinion about the subject of the OP, and that's fine! You are HONESTLY not hurting my feelings (don't know how many times I have to say that).

You don't like the tool. That's OKAY!! I'm not upset about it, I'm really NOT! Perhaps there is a language barrier which converts my meaning into something which is not understood.

I really don't care; I HONESTLY don't! I wrote the OP as something people can participate in...or not. Doesn't matter to me.

Wow...We REALLY don't need to stress out about this as hard as we are! (I know I'm sure not stressing about it). If you don't like Multi-tools, then that's OKAY! I won't hold it against you, or anyone else!

Holy Mackerel, let's not get so worked up about this!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Then if you see it like that, why don't you scroll up a bit and see what you did there.

You projected it onto a different member and wrote a really asshole reply, completely non productive derailing your own thread twice in a row. Your reply and your reply above to me where you say it's all cool, completely out of character it does not take a genius to see this. You're using CAPS, almost exclusive "!" and a lot of "..."

You can kid yourself but not someone who picks this up, ask OperationMindcrime how many handles of him I uncovered because I am good at stuff like this.

Name me a multitool you see fitting and I am willing to look at it, giving them the benefit of the doubt I had just bought four different ones and all were #ty.

I am open to have my opinion changed but from my former experience it will be tough, but the will is there.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 07:46 PM
link   

First, I really like you as a member. I like your opinions. We seem to differ on this item, but that's okay.

For you, I don't see a MT which will fit your requirements, and I don't think you should ever get one...ever.

That is all.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Well I am always honest and direct, this is often taken as rude. Currently I also fast on day 8 now so... that might make me super direct and honest, not beat around the bush like.

I like to say the words how I think them. And online I am super extroverted I guess because offline I have speech issues and I am more introverted silent and to myself.

Ah and don't be so hard on me, the MTs I own have a good life, they basically are on lifetime vacation.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:37 PM
link   
The three best MT are no longer made.
1. The Craftsman/Schrade featuring regular slip joint pliers.
2. Pocketwrench 2
3. The Original Leatherman pocket tool

I still have my Leatherman and they will reissue a knockoff now and then.

And I can make a hell of an argument for the good old fence pliers being handy as a shirt pocket.

But for out in the woods. Best bang for your buck is the Swiss Army Knife Huntsman or Hiker. The scissors are kinda handy around camp. And for the nerds: you can add a 1/4” socket to the bottle opener/screwdriver tool for all 1/4” hex bits.

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I use high quality hand and power tools every day as part of my job. A multi-tool will never compete with a decent purpose-built tool but that's not what they're for. They are supposed to pack a lot of function into a small unit on the go, not build a house or rebuild a motor.

Im not trying to sell anybody on any particular tool but I carry a Leatherman Charge when I'm not at work or home. I use the knife and pliers the most, the file surprisingly more often than I'd think. It's a small device that greatly expands my capabilities on my person. Multi-tool are the mechanical equalivant of a smartphone. If you're a handy type person it's great to have one in your pocket when a small problem comes up.
edit on 21-1-2022 by SouthernForkway26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
The idea of someone fudging around in any appliance with a multitool gives me the creeps.

Did you miss that this thread is in the survival forum?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join