It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Luxury Watches - Easy money

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Watches for me are like art. Some pieces just speak to me. I could careless about their value in that I wear my watches. I don't buy safe queens. I buy them for my personal satisfaction.

It is something about Panerai design that is just pleasing to me. There is a simplicity as a tool watch and the size. I also love the history of the brand.

Even though Rolex is kind of mass market luxury at this point, I do like some of their models as they are timeless. The problem is the brand has become kind of gauche and attention getting. Everyone knows a Rolex and for all the wrong reasons imho. Every finance bro I work with gets a Rollie after a good year but couldn't tell you anything about the watch, its functions or anything other than that they dropped $15k or whatever for a Rolex.

There are other brands out there that make fine pieces. Too many to list. My desire for watches far exceeds my checkbook though. A few on my collection list

IWC Big Pilot
Panerai Radiomir
Rolex Milgauss
Rolex GMT II w/ Jubilee bracelet
Patek Nautilus
Moser Streamliner
Ressence Type 5
Nomos
Sinn

So many to want....

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Blancpain and Franck Muller are still one of my bucket lists once I get around to it.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I've been on the lookout for a nice real chronograph, self running/, one that has the fluid motion and a stopwatch function for celebrating a license where I can need it for taking times. Not a QUARZ. So by now I am stuck with a -in comparison- cheap Festina F20376.

I looked at some brand names and no way I am going to pay that money. Might as well go back to my old G-Shock.

a reply to: MykeNukem
a reply to: DeadSnow
HODL power!

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I wish I could buy back my father's silver Rolex. It was sold by his last wife after he promised it to me. The thing was engraved in the back, from when he got it in Berit back in '83 when he was reporting on the MNF.

I'm not holding my breath.

This is what I'd like to find in the interim. Nothing special.

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Rolexes are fine and all, but overpriced. Personally I don't find them that intriguing. There are several other watchmakers I would much rather pay for.

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I made the tragic mistake once of joining a watch enthusiast forum (WUS). Gawd, bludgeoning myself with a piece of rebar would have been preferable!

Not sure what else to say about the experience other than...never again!! That place was arrogant jackassery to the absolute max!

What a titanic mistake that was!

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You should avoid any in person event as well. Unless you want to see people wearing $500K watches on both wrists.

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You should avoid any in person event as well. Unless you want to see people wearing $500K watches on both wrists.

Both wrists is one thing, but when they start taping the dang things to their forehead's and sporting giant flashing neon arrows above their head's pointing downward which say..."LOOK AT ME!!!"...that's where I draw the line!

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Edumakated

Blancpain and Franck Muller are still one of my bucket lists once I get around to it.

Co worker of mine has a Muller Master Banker. Classy watches with a little quirkiness.

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I made the tragic mistake once of joining a watch enthusiast forum (WUS). Gawd, bludgeoning myself with a piece of rebar would have been preferable!

Not sure what else to say about the experience other than...never again!! That place was arrogant jackassery to the absolute max!

I appreciate the design, history, and engineering of mechanical watches. However, I am not one of these watch snobs that obsess of the movement variations, etc. I can afford a nice piece or two, but no way in heck can I drop $50k, $100k on a watch... nor do I think those watches are significantly better than say a $10k watch, precious metals not withstanding.

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Co worker of mine has a Muller Master Banker. Classy watches with a little quirkiness.

That's the one I want. Blue dial with blue strap.

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I appreciate the design, history, and engineering of mechanical watches. However, I am not one of these watch snobs that obsess of the movement variations, etc. I can afford a nice piece or two, but no way in heck can I drop $50k, $100k on a watch... nor do I think those watches are significantly better than say a $10k watch, precious metals not withstanding.

I think about half of the idiots on that forum cut the watch out of a magazine and photoshop it on their wrist! Seriously! I know some of those guys are not the owners. They're either dealers, or the watches are borrowed / rented.

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I think about half of the idiots on that forum cut the watch out of a magazine and photoshop it on their wrist! Seriously! I know some of those guys are not the owners. They're either dealers, or the watches are borrowed / rented.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I used to wear a Rolex when I was in sales. It's a required fashion accessory when selling big ticket items, because all your clients are wearing Rolex'es as well. It used to be Sort of an unspoken symbol of success; Maybe it still is but I don't need to wear a watch anymore.

edit on 12-6-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join