It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just the beginning Over fishing in the oceans are real

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I put this on the Japan forum since the article is about Japan, but more likely fisherman are seeing these events worldwide. I live at fishing port on the Pacific Ocean side and on the open "wet market fresh fish and seafood ", ( used word in Hong Kong and China ) there has been a noticeable decrease in the amount of seafood brought to port. A couple reasons as I understand.
1. water temps and current have changed a bit
2. less fisherman nowadays due to the aging of its population ( the shipyard of used boats looks like a graveyard of boats these days )
3. other countries making illegal entry into Japanese fishing waters ( recently Japanese coast guard is shooting at these ships to dismantle them as they try to escape Japanese waters)
4. the high cost of fuel is restricting individual boats to return to sea ( a joint effort now is to try to have the fisherman share a boat and their catch, not sure how well this is working financially though for them

2021 Pacific saury catch in Japan's Iwate Pref. at record low amid national slump.
MORIOKA -- In 2021, northeast Japan's Iwate Prefecture recorded its worst Pacific saury haul since records began in 1989, in a result which comes amid poor catches of the fish becoming a serious issue nationwide.

According to statistics released by a national saury fishing cooperative on Jan. 7, only 2,852 metric tons of the fish were caught in Iwate Prefecture in 2021. The poor haul is a serious concern for those involved in fisheries, because saury is considered one of the three major fish species on the prefecture's coast along with salmon and Japanese flying squid.

mainichi.jp...

The price of Japanese canned fish has gone up from 1 dollar to as high as 1.58 dollar a can in one year here. Using dollars since its easier to understand. A very severe increase and it only seems to be getting worse.

In my area we trap octopus in these little pots. All seasonal and the catches are getting fewer and the fisherman seem to have to go further out from the shores. Needless to say, hard times are facing the people in the fishing industry these day.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Climate change does cause problems, just takes a degree or so to mess everything up. And of course, Superfleets of chinese fishing boats, sometimes protected by ccp naval vessels, have "scour the sea" policy, often in other countries waters.

Other countries are guilty too, but not on this superfleet scale.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Climate change does cause problems, just takes a degree or so to mess everything up. And of course, Superfleets of chinese fishing boats, sometimes protected by ccp naval vessels, have "scour the sea" policy, often in other countries waters.

I heard one has a 40 mile long fishing net of the coast of Peru?

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

How about the nuclear run off ? I work in the import export live animal trade got a few of your dragon eels and iron butterfly's in bet a co worker that they would register on the geiger counter sure enough tic tic tic ., That leaking radiation is getting into the food chain my friend .

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I doubt if the leakage from Fukushima is doing the Pacific much good or pollution in general.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

I heard one has a 40 mile long fishing net of the coast of Peru?

It would not surprise me.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 05:49 PM
link   

In that part of the world it's actually due to the shrimping industry using what was once called 'trash fish', and everything else that can be trawled by bottom dragging as food for the shrimp. It completely eliminates the food chain in that area and then they move on and destroy the next spot.

Not to mention it is done with primarily slave labor.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Interesting. Japan is infamous for its illegal fishing in other countries' waters and in general. Something like a fourth of the fish marketed through Japan is said to be illegal.

I think the question is, will Japan increase its illegal fishing in other waters because of what you're talking about?
edit on 1/19/2022 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Well the Japanese certainly know a thing or two about Over Whaling.

Like many other countries, they got greedy and now the fish stocks are suffering too.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ravenwatcher

How about the nuclear run off ? I work in the import export live animal trade got a few of your dragon eels and iron butterfly's in bet a co worker that they would register on the geiger counter sure enough tic tic tic ., That leaking radiation is getting into the food chain my friend .

Sadly we are not allowed to bring in a Geiger counter to our sushi restaurants these days and to be honest with you, seems like the govt. likes to down play the severity of this disaster.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 05:58 PM
link   

The temperatures and weather and magnet fields are changing on all the planets in our solar system, it has nothing to do with us.
Nuclear waste dumping does however.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Interesting. Japan is infamous for its illegal fishing in other countries' waters and in general. Something like a fourth of the fish marketed through Japan is said to be illegal.

I think the question is, will Japan increase its illegal fishing in other waters because of what you're talking about?

Maybe the mega corps that have the sea bearing ships, but I'm only familiar here with the local boat fisherman. Yokohama, which I don't live in or Shimonseki ( southern Japan ) most likely have these international water ships.
Wish I lived in Hokkaido. Seafood there for salmon and crabs, not so expensive.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 06:00 PM
link   
In my industry we practice sustainable collection it's like a route collect here for a few months then move on to the next spot and return to the 1st spot after a year or so . You can not stay and over fish in one spot you not only deplete the fish you destroy an entire eco system down to invertebrates reefs and micro , They all depend on each other .
edit on 19-1-2022 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

In that part of the world it's actually due to the shrimping industry using what was once called 'trash fish', and everything else that can be trawled by bottom dragging as food for the shrimp. It completely eliminates the food chain in that area and then they move on and destroy the next spot.

Not to mention it is done with primarily slave labor.

It's horrible and depressing stuff. I have seen a few vid of boats getting sunk, I think by Australia..heartwarming to watch.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I'm in Alaska and it's very expensive here to buy fish from here. It all gets shipped off, then shipped back and by the time we see it, it's high priced. The answer to that though is to buy a freezer and catch your own.

Yeah, I can how the local fishing would be a different thing. It is the big companies doing the worst stuff. Russian fishermen are pretty bad at painting inside the lines also.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

The temperatures and weather and magnet fields are changing on all the planets in our solar system, it has nothing to do with us.

I never talked about us, it is what it is at this point, I think it possible we have contributed though. And for sure, we are wrecking the place with all manner of pollution. Take the BP disaster, a few years go by, and people forget, they think the damage is undone, They are still finding oil, and recovering in Valdez. So many more examples. I think it takes generations to repair, if it can ever be fully repaired. Fukishia..who really knows what that tally will be?

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

I never talked about us, it is what it is at this point, I think it possible we have contributed though. And for sure, we are wrecking the place with all manner of pollution. Take the BP disaster, a few years go by, and people forget, they think the damage is undone, They are still finding oil, and recovering in Valdez. So many more examples. I think it takes generations to repair, if it can ever be fully repaired. Fukishia..who really knows what that tally will be?

Things are on a set course so only one knows.

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made,
even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful,
but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Professing to be wise, they became fools,

and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves,

who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

Romans 1:20-25

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Lots of complete waste in drag netting, and netting monster huge catches, lots of other critters that get killed and thrown over board. Seriously do people eat that much fish? It’s almost like let’s deplete the ocean as fast as we can.

Cutting off fins and throwing the poor sharks out to slowly die…what a waste.

Blue tuna, and whale hunting, another story.

Goliath Grouper, barely making a comeback from the 60-70’s.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 08:25 PM
link   

fish have been being caught for 400 million years and there's still plenty left for everybody. No we didn't eat all the fish in the oceans and we never will. Ditto oil. We'll have that resource till our end of days.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 08:59 PM
link   
foreignpolicy.com...

The Chinese fleet, made up of squid jiggers and pair trawlers, scooped up a staggering amount of squid—equal to almost as much as the entire squid catch in Japanese and South Korean waters combined over the same period, the report estimated. The Chinese decimated the squid population off North Korea to such a degree that Japanese and South Korean fishers saw their own take of the usually plentiful, migratory species plummet.

China’s single-minded drive to maximize catch should come as no surprise, because its record contains little in the way of sustainable fishing. Its own coastline, once among the richest in the world, has been more overfished by its 300,000-strong domestic coastal fleet than the waters of almost any other nation, with less than 15 percent of the original fish biomass remaining. The majority of the fleet is made up of artisanal boats with small engines, going out for short trips near the shore; the rest are mostly trawlers destroying fish habitat as they rake the seafloor.

In Mozambique, the Chinese were more successful. In 2017, they effectively took over the port of Beira, doubling its capacity so it could accommodate over 100 trawlers, according to Pierre Failler, a fisheries economist who heads the Centre for Blue Governance at the University of Portsmouth. The Mozambican Channel, between Madagascar and Mozambique, had been relatively unfished, and the Chinese fleet has been able to catch over 60,000 tons a year of large, high-quality bottomfish like seabream and groupers, all of which go to China. “They pay the government a pittance for the right to fish,” Failler said. “The locals now complain they aren’t catching anything anymore.”

On the other side of the continent in northwest Africa, the Chinese built around 20 fishmeal plants to process sardinella, a once-abundant and highly nutritious mackerel-sized fish, into feed for aquaculture and poultry. That industry has created a similar situation as in North Korea: During the winter dry season, smoked sardinella constituted the main source of affordable protein for the region, one of the poorest in the world. In Gambia, Chinese companies operate three fishmeal plants built five years ago and suck up so much sardinella that the local supply is reduced to a trickle. “It’s devastating,” said Mustapha Manneh, a Gambian journalist. “Gambians depend on this fish for their daily meal.”

China is going full-bore catch those fish and the future (and the rest of the world) be damned.

I understand they have a lot of mouths to feed but they really need to use some judgment.
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: clarify

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join