It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okay, something different...hats

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I like hats. I even collected them for a while (mainly ballcap type hats). Now I have hats of all different kinds, and I have some really nice western hats.

About 6 months ago or so I got this heavy canvas hat. It kind of looks like a western hat, but it looks really ratty, sort of like it was cut from some canvas tarp in a jungle camp somewhere. It's not waxed canvas, but just regular heavy canvas. I like it a lot because it doesn't look like a fancy hat at all, and it's certainly not any kind of a dress hat.

It basically looks like this...

I don't know what it is, but I've gotten more compliments on this dang hat than just about any other hat I own! Seriously, people will go out of their way to say how much they like this thing. I'm actually thinking about getting a 2nd one in a lighter tan color. The picture (above) kind of makes it look lke the hat is shiny and waxed or treated, but it isn't shiny or treated; it's just straight heavy canvas. Waxed canvas hats are WAY too hot, and this one isn't like that. It does have some wire in the brim so you can shape it a little bit (but not a lot). For the most part though, it just pretty much goes where it wants to.

One of my favorite hats is this one, but it doesn't get nearly as much attention despte costing several hundred dollars more..

Anyone else like and wear hats?

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
Didn't you author a thread about hats not long ago? Was almost 100% sure I answered in it.

No matter, yes, hats are great.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I like hats. I even collected them for a while (mainly ballcap type hats). Now I have hats of all different kinds, and I have some really nice western hats.

About 6 months ago or so I got this heavy canvas hat. It kind of looks like a western hat, but it looks really ratty, sort of like it was cut from some canvas tarp in a jungle camp somewhere. It's not waxed canvas, but just regular heavy canvas. I like it a lot because it doesn't look like a fancy hat at all, and it's certainly not any kind of a dress hat.

It basically looks like this...

I don't know what it is, but I've gotten more compliments on this dang hat than just about any other hat I own! Seriously, people will go out of their way to say how much they like this thing. I'm actually thinking about getting a 2nd one in a lighter tan color. The picture (above) kind of makes it look lke the hat is shiny and waxed or treated, but it isn't shiny or treated; it's just straight heavy canvas. Waxed canvas hats are WAY too hot, and this one isn't like that. It does have some wire in the brim so you can shape it a little bit (but not a lot). For the most part though, it just pretty much goes where it wants to.

One of my favorite hats is this one, but it doesn't get nearly as much attention despte costing several hundred dollars more..

A man is never fully dressed without a hat.

I have owned several felt hats of different styles, fedoras, pork pies, Greek fisher caps. And ball caps for the day to day (not felt). Which rarely reference sports teams.
I'm not to familiar with canvas hats, but it would be interesting to hear more about them. I do have a friend from college that makes hats, but again never a canvas hat was mentioned in my discussions with her.

ETA. The second photo is a felt hat, and I suspect the first photo is leather not canvas.
edit on 19-1-2022 by randomtangentsrme because: I like turtles.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 01:45 AM
link   

This is what's left of my Akubra "Territorian". It stinks when wet, and when it's dry to be honest. I don't really notice so much.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Yes! Hat man here, my big basket of hats is the bane of my wife’s existence! My Aussie rules team, NFL, NHL, the Victorian High Country huts association, two West Ham ones (come on you irons!), multiple Nike and adidas, blaze orange hunting caps and finally...

The EXACT hat in your second picture.

That my good man is an Akubra, the quintessential Aussie broad brim. I absolutely love it and when that bad boy is on me you know adventure is afoot!

edit on 1912022 by IAMALLYETALLIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

This is what's left of my Akubra "Territorian". It stinks when wet, and when it's dry to be honest. I don't really notice so much.

It’s just an ornament if it doesn’t stink!

I’ve got a shaved head and when I sweat mine leaves a big grimy black ring around my head.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 05:17 AM
link   

I do and I'm currently wearing my first proper hat.
I'm very happy with my wool-felt stetson. It is warm enough, not too heavy, looking good on me and most importantly hiding my balding

Just one thing I'm a head sweater and the little ribbon that touches the head got a nasty smell after only half a year,I'll soon visit the milliner to replace it.
edit on 19-1-2022 by Terpene because: Smelly addendum

I have noticed this happening to you more than once....
your hat thread 3 month ago

edit on 19-1-2022 by Terpene because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Augustus is a hat guy. I've yet to see him live or Memorex without one on.
My head is too fat for a hat. When I sit in the East, I have one that fits, but I am just not a hat person.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Augustus is a hat guy. I've yet to see him live or Memorex without one on.
My head is too fat for a hat. When I sit in the East, I have one that fits, but I am just not a hat person.

AM uses the hat to keep his bloated head from floating away....

OP: We're in toque season now...hats just hold snow or blow away, my favorite is an old rabbit skin trapper hat. Nice and warm for chores outside.

edit on 1/19/2022 by MykeNukem because: lol

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

people who live in snowy areas make me smile.

If it snows here, we hide from it, and it goes away. I served my time in snow hell.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: MykeNukem

people who live in snowy areas make me smile.

If it snows here, we hide from it, and it goes away. I served my time in snow hell.

I really wish Canada would have ran with the Manifest Destiny thing and conquered a few tropical places...

Don't blame ya one bit...

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 08:36 AM
link   

edit on 19-1-2022 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Someone stole my Stetson in 1970. I'm still pissed off.

50 yrs ltr? Ski caps....

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 09:14 AM
link   
At one time I had a ballcap from every NHL team in the league. 22 of them were autographed by the team captain.....it took some long hard hours to get those signatures...but alas a break in my home a few years back and my collection went with a whole lot of other stuff stolen. Now I only have about 25...all are Carolina Hurricanes hats, a few Charlotte Hornet's hats ((original Hornets)...And a few New York Islanders hats. I hope whoever stole my collection got a case of the clapp that burned like fire ants attacking.....his/her arse.
edit on Januaryam31b202222527 by Fatboy527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: igloo

a reply to: Terpene

Yes, I absolutely did make a similar post a couple months back. I had not forgotten it. Is there are moratorium against doing this on ATS? If so, I wasn't aware of it.

You know, I mighgt even bring the subject up again in the future too! **GASP!!**

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I have a black cowgirl hat and it's still in the box.I wish
I had gotten it a wee bit bigger in size it fits snug on my
head.A question... can your head get fatter as you age?
I am asking for a friend.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Well, yes, somewhat, but kind of depends on your age. My melon grew quite a bit in HS. However, the more likely issue is the hat shrinking, especially if its not worn often. The heat, moisture and oil from your scalp and hair helps keep a hat fitting as desired.

One thing you might consider if the hat is a nice quality felt is to get a 'hat stretcher.' They're not expensive and they actually work pretty well, especially if you slightly dampen the hat (not wet!) and then put the stretcher inside. I have a big pumpkin-head (and ugly to boot) so finding hats large enough to fit (strong 7-5/8") can be difficult. I've used a stretcher in the past and it worked great.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Fatboy527

I used to collect ballcap type hats also, but mine were mainly oilfield related. I think I may have mentioned in a previous thread that I was fortunate enough to find what is/was considered the 'Holy Grail' of oilfield hats...an authentic Red Adair Well Fire Control hat. They were highly sought after, and extremely difficult to get because they were never really put in production for people outside employees of the company. As a result, there were many knockoffs out there. There was a way to tell a real one from a fake one (it was the orientation of the well derrick).

Like your hats, I had a bunch get stolen when I moved one time. A mover must have gotten into one of the boxes and picked out the most valuable hats, leaving the rest. I didn't notice it until a year or so later. I wished that guy an entire week on a rig drilling floor in February with a bunch of seasoned roughnecks throwin' chains while 'trippin' pipe...although I doubt he would have survived more than a day or so before being killed. That was some dangerous work!

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I don't know about you but having your belongings stolen is just sucky as all hell. It was'nt the monetary value of any of it, it was the fact some of those items had serious memories attached to them....karma's a wicked little bitch.a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 03:25 PM
link   

And I might make the same comment about my awsome stetson

top topics

<<   2 >>

join