It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the 3G Shutdown in 2022 Could Screw Your Car!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Well it never stops doesn't it. I was unaware until I read another OPs post about 5G in commercial airlines. Then I did a deep dive and found that the end of 3G will affect CARS as in AUTOMOBILES!

How the 3G Shutdown in 2022 Could Screw Your Car

I also now wonder about the refrigerator, TV, stereo, desktops and any other thing electronic in the home. Plus us as humans. Is that why so many going nutz in public today or is that because of too much sugar in those FDA approved foods. Why, because all those clowns who work at the alpha agencies are either bribed or too stupid to get it right. In my opinion it includes the FDA, CDC , NIH and FCC. So what about the other guys such as China, Russia and India. Well they apparently recognized whats going on and they enforced laws so that what will happen in the 5G USA possibly wont happen there.

You may have heard the news that major 3G cellular networks will be shut down in the U.S. in 2022—yes, at the risk of making anyone feel especially old, we're far enough along in the 21st century that the tech that helped usher in the era of smartphones is now obsolete. The telecom industry's preferred euphemism is "sunsetting," which is just a fancy way of saying that it won't happen all at once. But make no mistake, 3G networks are going away in this country. Reading that, probably on a 5G-enabled device, you think, "Huh. Quaint." But even if your smartphone's network is several generations ahead, the same might not be true for your car. The truth is a large number of new cars made in the last decade, even some in the 2021 model year, were built with their connected services running on 3G. That includes things like in-nav traffic and location data, WiFi hotspots, emergency call services, remote lock/unlock functions, smartphone app connectivity, voice assistants, and even concierge services. With few exceptions, most of those features in most of those cars will no longer work by the end of 2022 when AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile all pull the plug.

REFERENCE:

Which cars will be left in the dust by next year’s 3G shutdown?
edit on 18-1-2022 by Waterglass because: add

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Where there is good there is bad it seems like these days.

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass
the end of 3G will affect CARS as in AUTOMOBILES!

Most people are blissfully unaware their vehicles come packaged with a wireless connector they have no control over ... and are completely clueless of what information it's sharing back to the mothership.

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I like old cars anyway.

Way easier to work on. We dont need all that # in our cars anyway.

Thats why Most young people have no idea how to read a map

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

You are correct as I found that out in 2019 when GM fluffed up a software download to my new Colorado back in 2019. It was then I knew they had a kill switch that could shut down that vehicle any time any where with me in or not inside it.

Wait until the hackers figure it out. I can only imagine the kidnaps, murders, etc. by vehicle.

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: just4fun

Thats why Most young people have no idea how to read a map

They also cant count. I love giving them cash. They tip me!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

Umm WTF. So I don't have time to read the full article as I am about to head into town for some supplies. Does this mean my OnStar won't work? Because that is very much not a scenario I want to gamble with. Never had a ticket or ever been in a wreck but I do like that safety net.

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 08:52 AM
link   

a reply to: Snarl

You are correct as I found that out in 2019 when GM fluffed up a software download to my new Colorado back in 2019. It was then I knew they had a kill switch that could shut down that vehicle any time any where with me in or not inside it.

Wait until the hackers figure it out. I can only imagine the kidnaps, murders, etc. by vehicle.

Old news to hackers.

You can use a simple SDR dongle to capture and record signals from ANY key FOB for a vehicle, garage door opener, etc., then, play it back and do whatever you want.

GM has had this ability since OnStar via TelSat since forever with no Wi-Fi required at all.

Maybe they'll be doing everyone a favour, whether they know it or not...
edit on 1/18/2022 by MykeNukem because: sp.

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

Can a hacker blow up my WIFI?

I don't mean steal my signal I mean to knock the WIFI offline.

I have a Meth producing neighbor. My WIFI gets blasted now and then in that all Ring security cams go offline, the WIFI to TV goes down and I had had two stereo receivers get "zapped" since moving here in 2017.

I 2020 I have new Siemens circuit breaker Panels with Eaton Whole Home surge protection installed and have [3] Monster Surge strips in use.
edit on 18-1-2022 by Waterglass because: typo

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Automotive cyber is atrocious, most of the OEM's they use don't want to spend a nickel on preventative applications or advisory.

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 09:09 AM
link   

If one wanted to get a vehicle with no link to the mothership, how far back would one need to go?

Is it possible to disconnect this link from current vehicles? Practically or legally?

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Can a hacker blow up my WIFI?

I don't mean steal my signal I mean to knock the WIFI offline.

I have a Meth producing neighbor. My WIFI gets blasted now and then in that all Ring security cams go offline, the WIFI to TV goes down and I had had two stereo receivers get "zapped" since moving here in 2017.

I 2020 I have new Siemens circuit breaker Panels with Eaton Whole Home surge protection installed and have [3] Monster Surge strips in use.

Absolutely they could. You can order a wifi jammer online or build one easy enough.

It could also be something causing it accidentally , like competing frequencies or channels.

Very hard to diagnose while off-site with no access, so just spitballing.

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Don't worry it will all get explained by the same people and agencies explaining everything else.

Total conflicting answers and chaos. There's nothing wrong !!!!!😎

You'll still be able to double park your Bentley in front of Le Bernardin and enjoy your rack-of-lamb 😊

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Automotive cyber is atrocious, most of the OEM's they use don't want to spend a nickel on preventative applications or advisory.

Yup and it's actually worse now than when GM started the original OnStar. At least back at the beginning it was their own networks, now it's just whoever they make a deal with.

I have an older 2011 Ford Escape with Microsoft SYNC.....my good lord..just shoot it...

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 09:26 AM
link   
So.....theoretically.....
What won't my car be able to do?
No more Wi-Fi?
No more GPS?
No more onstar?
No more software updates?
Car won't even start?

edit on Tue Jan 18 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Lol, people need to learn to be less reliant on techn-
OH **** MY CAR'S ON THE LIST!!! THEY BETTER NOT SCREW UP MY TOUCHSCREEN NAVIGATION!

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
So.....theoretically.....
What won't my car be able to do?
No more Wi-Fi?
No more GPS?
No more onstar?
No more software updates?
Car won't even start?

All of those things should be backward compatible, from a technical standpoint, but they can just decide they don't want to make it compatible.

In that case, who knows?

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I heard the "G" thing explained well yesterday:

1G-calls,
2 G-calls and messaging,
3G-calls and messaging and data
4 G-calls, messaging, data, and streaming....
5G- everything future

I hv a 6G phone as well(OS processing). I did switch back to 5...
edit on 01222631America/ChicagoTue, 18 Jan 2022 09:46:26 -060046202200000026 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Loved this nugget... and everybody wondered why I kept my truck for 18 years

www.popsci.com...

Some automakers, like Toyota and Lexus, are not planning to retrofit any affected vehicles. In its public FAQs on the topic, Toyota cites a clause in its disclosures that states certain connected services may change at any time without notice. And when The Drive asked Toyota if it plans to offer an upgrade, paid or otherwise, for consumers who own affected vehicles, the answer was a simple “no.”

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 10:13 AM
link   
OK so where the Hell have all the experts and business geniuses been ???

Vacationing where?

Oh 🤣🤣🤣🤣it's another planned red herring

top topics

<<   2 >>

join