It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami advisory in effect for US, NZ, and CA following volcanic eruption

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2022 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

They could be more numerous or they could be just more noticeable because we are able to see them like we couldn't before plus people live more in places where they occur.

With this, I just keep remembering the Olympic delegation from Tonga.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 02:30 AM
link   
it looks pretty big from space. The summer may never come this year

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 02:52 AM
link   
i'm wondering if this eruption has anything to do with the earthquake swarm that has been happening around New Zealand a contact has been going on about the last few days.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

It really depends. Krakatoa was above the water, so was Pinatubo (it was smaller but still knocked the summer off by a couple degrees average).

This one was below water. How that might affect things I don't know.

I do know this one did form a caldera; I think at least one of the two smaller cones is gone and the other mostly gone with a big pit between them. It did virtually wash away two of the smaller islands out there in the Tonga chain and large parts of the other islands were swamped under water by the tsunami.

**EDIT**

VolcanoCafe has their aftermath out today. These guys know their stuff for the most part, and they say based on the satellite evidence and math, they're guessing high VEI-5 to low VEI-6. It is possible this could have global impact, but if it does, it will be more like Pinatubo where we didn't really notice catastrophic effect, just slightly cooler temps on average for a time.

They do have satellite photos showing that there really isn't anything left of the volcano above the water - maybe just two small rocky ridges.
edit on 16-1-2022 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The comments made me believe that it was a little puff in terms of ash and stuff.
Explosive thanks to the water in magma chamber. Yawn, wake me up for a real volcano. No less than VEI 6 or 7

Héctor Sacristán 16/01/2022 at 16:13 There are some other lines of evidence that I think suggest what we saw was mainly a steam cloud. There are no images of pumice rafts, yesterday I was looking at Sentinel 1 post-eruption images and I didn’t notice a single pumice raft in the sea around Hunga Tonga. Even a VEI 4 eruption makes massive pumice rafts. Something else that now surprises me is that the eruption cloud vanished without leaving a trace, like any ordinary cumulonimbus. Shouldn’t the ash be going around the world right now? Together with the data that only 0.4 Tg of sulphur dioxide were emitted, the same as Kelud in 2014, or Merapi in 2010, it seems possible the eruption plume was mainly made of steam and carried very little pyroclastic material. Still though it must have grown in volume so rapidly and to such a colossal size that it generated pressure waves across the whole planet these pressure waves weighted on the ocean making small tsunamis but which reached very far away. Meteo-tsunamis. Even in Puerto Rico there was a tsunami.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

The analysis I posted does show a pumice raft, but it's drifting well away from anything. Satellite picks it up.

Thing is that it's still early. We're talking about a very remote area, and they had no contact even with it in the early hours after the explosion. But it's highly possible that we still don't know the full extent of the effects.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Tsunami can just keep going, and going, and going.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 04:03 PM
link   

It seems to me there is an increase in the number of events that are happening, and in so many places.

Seems your perceptions may vary from reality a bit.
volcano.si.edu...

Of course, going back to 1969 could be problematic due to things like an increase in the ability to detect eruptions from space and stuff. But for the past couple of decades, not a lot of change in the number of events.
edit on 1/16/2022 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Volcanic history on this system shows that it tends to pop off and keep doing so for a while. We might be in for a series of these explosions and more activity before it goes back to sleep again for another thousand years.

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

It seems to me there is an increase in the number of events that are happening, and in so many places.

Seems your perceptions may vary from reality a bit.
volcano.si.edu...

Of course, going back to 1969 could be problematic due to things like an increase in the ability to detect eruptions from space and stuff. But for the past couple of decades, not a lot of change in the number of events.

My statement was not limited to just volcanoes. I was referring to the total of disastrous weather and natural disasters that have been reported.

I as I suggested here, and in my thread, the appearance of an increase may be greatly influenced by better reporting of the events, and the magic of the internet, but if the reports are actual accounts, then the events do appear to be on the uptick.

My perception may be faulty, I was hoping for a closer look and input from those with better knowledge of these events. I know we have a few members that are quite savvy in this area.

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 05:15 PM
link   
From space.

twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I would think underwater volcanoes could be dicey, The lava would cool a lot quicker and form a plug, as the pressure builds this plug is blown off, and superheated steam causes a great deal of energy to be blown out in one go.

posted on Jan, 21 2022 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexanderM

From even further out in space - EPIC
SCOVR just after the start of the explosion:

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join