It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Understanding Of Optics.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 10:42 AM
link   

To the OP, reference away my friend. You’ve piqued my interest.

References concerning? Ideas about optical enhancement..Or perhaps concerning religion and politics? I suppose the goal is to pique interest. And possibly make imaginary friends…probably not though because that would mean imaginary enemy. Im ok with not having either.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 10:51 AM
link   

1. Our optic nerve transmits all visual information to our brains, i imagine target optics helps transmits visual information/light to our eyes.

Going to quote this again.

This is all optics do. Not just scopes but mechanical sighting devices as well (iron sights). They 'gather' light. Just like our eyes do.

Why don't our eyes have crosshairs? Just to reach out and grab an apple?

What is a reticle?

edit on 16-1-2022 by didntasktobeborned because: trying to bridge a gap

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: didntasktobeborned

1. Our optic nerve transmits all visual information to our brains, i imagine target optics helps transmits visual information/light to our eyes.

Going to quote this again.

This is all optics do. Not just scopes but mechanical sighting devices as well (iron sights). They 'gather' light. Just like our eyes do.

Why don't our eyes have crosshairs?

Iron sights do not gather light. They restrict light that is not coming from the target.

As for function, light is directed through lenses to a specific point that interprets and transmits that light as data to our brain. Two side by side lenses provide depth perception, which is a really neat trick in the cortex software. It doesn't matter how many optic devices you use, its still just light being directed through lenses to a specific point. If it fails to meet that simple requirement, its not an optic, its a window.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Iron sights do not gather light. They restrict light that is not coming from the target.

I knew this was coming. We have to agree to disagree in advance as my optics on that subject seem to interpret the signal differently than Yours. I think its a potato potahtoe kind of thing.

Everything else You said was well stated and accurate according to my experience…Especially the window part, which is important for conceptualization.

edit on 16-1-2022 by didntasktobeborned because: or tomato

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: didntasktobeborned

I thought more about this.

'Gathering' implies light from a broader area is focused to a smaller area, increasing the intensity, range, detail, etc. I don't know of any iron sights that mechanically perform that task. 'V' type sights are basically just a reference to use when sighting a target. You don't actually look at the iron part, you use it to frame your target in a more precise manner than just looking in that direction.

Although, now that I think about it, an iron 'halo' type sight might be different. I can't see it doing much in terms of refocusing light to a finer point, but it does have different mechanical properties than a 'V' type sight.

I'll stick with my red light/green light scope. Floating 3D quick sight, laser assist, long range, very nice.

posted on Jan, 16 2022 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Your right, iron sight don't gather light. In fact in low light conditions without dots their just about useless.
There are two thing as far as light with iron sights that come to mind. One is reflective/ glare light and light as far as contrast.

There are several ways to fix reflective / glare and contrast.

Here's a wiki, there are better sources but I'm lazy today.

Enhancements

Here are two more,

Sights: Iron Sights: Improving Visibility of Iron Sights

Iron Sights vs Scope Optics: Which Is Better for Hunting?

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Lol. You don’t have to be friendly for me to be your friend.

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Line of sight

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax
Lol. You don’t have to be friendly for me to be your friend.

Maybe there are decent imaginary people after all. Its intimidating on ATS. A lot of super smart people here that don't put up with nonsense.

What do you know of 'instinct' shooting?

Before modern optics amazing shots were made all the time. People shot without sights, You had the smoothbore phenomenon. We have supposedly more advanced optics and firearms..But IMO people in general were better shots before, every 10 year old had to be able to hit a squirrel head with an iron sight 22 at 50 plus yards..Now everybody and their brother has weapons that can consistently drive nails at maximum range..the shooters in most cases can only accomplish a fraction of what their weapon is capable of.

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Natural Point Of Aim, Here is a little experiment you can do.

With both eyes open, use the hand that you shoot from and point at something. Close your opposing eye, ie if right close your left, if left close your right, then close your shooting side. You should see that your shooting hand is on on target, and your opposing side is off to shooting side, if you use your opposing hand, and close your shooting side you should still see the same. but it will also change at distance. at least for me it always has been. Another thing if you use your opposing hand, and close you should still see the same.

But you still have to work on it.

Here are a couple of links. Not going to mention all the ... well never mind, might upset a few folks if i say that. As I siad before there are probably better links, but being lazy i tend to go with the quickest ones first.

For rifle

A Marksman’s Guide to Natural Point of Aim

For Handgun,

Determining Your Natural Point Of Aim

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

With both eyes open

Yay! This is all I have read of Your reply so far. Just needed to say that.
Now Ill go read the rest..looking forward to it.

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The Nydar 47 reflex sight is where we ve landed upon a little digging into a halo sight..very nice. a reply to: Vroomfondel

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 08:11 AM
link   
light being directed through lenses to a specific point.

Light is gathered to a point. When its sunny out, our eyes don't need as much light so our pupils get smaller, when its dark they get bigger. Im thinking of all the things that happen in the process without us consciously being aware of it. Sights, or optics help us get the right concentration of light to focus our vision.

What direction does light naturally travel? Up? Down? Side to side? Does light bend around objects?

Think of herding sheep or cattle..what happens when there is an obstruction in front of the herd? something like a stump. The herd represents light.

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 09:01 PM
link   

That is a nice sight. As stated in the article, very elegant even by todays standards. It was sort of the first step toward more modern optics. There was only one lens, and it was big, but it worked.

I was also thinking about something like a ghost ring sight. A ghost ring was just a round iron aperture with a dot in the center, no lens at all. No focus or redirection of light to speak of, but still different mechanical properties than V sights.

posted on Jan, 18 2022 @ 09:11 PM
link   

light being directed through lenses to a specific point.

Light is gathered to a point. When its sunny out, our eyes don't need as much light so our pupils get smaller, when its dark they get bigger. Im thinking of all the things that happen in the process without us consciously being aware of it. Sights, or optics help us get the right concentration of light to focus our vision.

What direction does light naturally travel? Up? Down? Side to side? Does light bend around objects?

Think of herding sheep or cattle..what happens when there is an obstruction in front of the herd? something like a stump. The herd represents light.

Light is a wave form. It travels straight until it runs into an obstruction of some kind. Then, like water, it bends around that obstruction as it passes. This was proven in the double slit experiment. I won't go into the whole thing, but, one search will show you all you need to know and more.
edit on 18-1-2022 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join