It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study identifies the mechanism by which Hydroxychloroquine acts as a treatment for SARS-COV-2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 12:35 PM
link   

A new study from the University of Glasgow, which is yet to be published in a scientific journal, that looks at how antibodies from vaccines block omicron from entering cells. The researchers conclude, as many others have, that antibodies (the proteins that neutralise the virus) against previous variants or induced by vaccines are less effective against omicron. What’s interesting, though, is that the study finds that omicron may have changed the way it enters cells.

SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID, is coated in a lipid bilayer (a thin membrane made of two layers) just like our cells. When the virus enters our cells, the bilayers fuse like oil droplets on the surface of water, termed “membrane fusion”.

Membrane fusion occurs after the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein has attached to the ACE2 receptor on the cell surface, but can happen in two different places (see diagram below). Membrane fusion can occur on the cell’s surface, or it can can occur after the SARS-CoV-2 virus has been engulfed in an endosome.

Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) is a drug that accumulates in endosomes and decreases their acidity, which disrupts their function. Making endosomes less acidic reduces membrane fusion, thereby reducing SARS-CoV-2’s ability to enter cells. So HCQ could act as an antiviral.

Link to the study

Article about the study

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 12:48 PM
link   
yeah, right, troglodyte... go right ahead and take your fish tank bleach and croak, ya dumb ... oh, wait. It's 2022!

Sure, why not use an unprofitable widely used safe, effective treatment that docs in the trenchers have sworn help combat this nasty cold? What's the big deal? Everyone knows this...

I'm retiring for the day as I've had my sarcasm quotient filled.

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: joejack1949

I'm interested, so I read through the study and the article. It was actually my third time reading that particular study. I wasn't planning to comment before reading, but... The study that you've linked to doesn't even mention HCQ once. It looks like the article at the Conversation is the author's opinion based on a perceived correlation. Maybe they should do some research in a lab to back it up.

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Nvm
edit on (1/12/2222 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

That is correct and your analysis is appreciated. The study identifies that Omicron prefers entering cells via endosome. The article brings up HXQ and its tendency to increase the Ph in endosomes.

At least the article concludes by saying:

To show that HCQ is effective against omicron, scientists need to infect cells with omicron in the presence and absence of HCQ and shows a significant reduction in infectivity. If this shows that HCQ is effective against omicron, it would be sensible to test HCQ in a clinical trial.

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Many of us have known this, which is probably why tonic water with quinine was sitting on end-cap shelves in many stores throughout the pandemic.

new topics

top topics

join