posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 09:45 PM
An elderly woman I used to do work for and around the house made some cream of cucumber soup one day and my brother and I had a small bowl. Boy was
it good. So a couple of days later we made a big pot of it and gorged ourselves on it...what a mistake, we both got such a belly ache we thought we
were going to go to the ER. But it only lasted about six hours, we tossed out the rest of the soup and on the next weekend we both worked at the
womans house again and we told her about it. She said the soup is actually poisonous if you eat too much, it is a problem with overconsumption of
cucumbers and that cooking them actually increases the bioavailability of the chemistry.
Well, we were chicken and neither of us have ever made it again. you have to watch out when you eat a lot of veggies, especially gourds. that was
about forty five years ago, I finally got around to researching the chemistry about five years ago and I guess it is probably the lectins tied to some
of the other chemistry it contains. Be careful, sometimes the best tasting stuff can put you in the hospital, it is a good thing we did not eat it
all, who knows what would have happened to us. It doubles you up in pain, you cannot even stand up.
Live and learn, what ever does not kill you makes you either stronger or wiser. I still love cucumbers, but am cautious now not to overconsume them.