It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are Movie Theatres Showing One Movie After the 6th Jan?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

AMC was circling the drain before the pandemic. The only thing that got it through, other than our tax dollars, was people on Reddit pumping the stock up to mess with short brokers. They did it to a handful of other companies as well.

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Albert999

Do we have a good theory why this is happening yet?

Screen management, the doldrums of new releases (even on a normal year), and the upcoming awards season.

It's not a flashy reason. It's not an exciting reason. It's just the simplest reason.

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Hmmm... my 2 local theaters are showing 7 different movies, all listed past the 6th with new ones coming out at the end of next week.

ETA: the theaters are AMC, Emagine and MJR
edit on 4-1-2022 by frogs453 because: Add

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

Screen management, the doldrums of new releases (even on a normal year), and the upcoming awards season.

It's not a flashy reason. It's not an exciting reason. It's just the simplest reason.

Talked to a family member who spent many years managing theaters and he said the same.

We've probably never noticed this happening before.

Some good marketing for that cringeworthy movie though!

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

I must still have some form of PTSD from the clapping at MJR theaters. Haven't thought of that in years. I do miss Emagine, they were all pretty nice.

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

Talked to a family member who spent many years managing theaters and he said the same.

We've probably never noticed this happening before.

Some good marketing for that cringeworthy movie though!

Yes true, I have never heard or known about cinemas closing for a week in January.

If it is that simple, great. But something still feels off 😕

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

I honestly cannot remember the last movie I saw at the theater! I was going to go see the new Matrix there, but just watched it at home on HBO.

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The nearest theater to me is showing nothing for Friday, and this is unusual because I often look for movies on Friday evenings at the beginning of the week, especially for new releases.

The next day is showing 355 only.

This is an AMC theater, but I wonder why if this is for financial reasons, why do it on Friday? Friday nights used to be a popular movie night when I worked the concession stand as a teenager.

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: KMeRMoRe
The nearest theater to me is showing nothing for Friday, and this is unusual because I often look for movies on Friday evenings at the beginning of the week, especially for new releases.

The next day is showing 355 only.

This is an AMC theater, but I wonder why if this is for financial reasons, why do it on Friday? Friday nights used to be a popular movie night when I worked the concession stand as a teenager.

I'm sure its probably just this (financial), but its kind of weird that nearly all chains are doing it in sync. Plus not showing anything on a Friday night (i.e. this coming 7th Jan) is just bizzarro, especially after the barren last few years they have had. This doesn't make sense on the face of it.
edit on 0420222022Tue, 04 Jan 2022 08:07:29 -060008am104TuesdayAmerica/Chicago by doorhandle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 08:08 AM
link   
AMC Classic 6596 North W St Pensacola Fl ,

12 Movies and times listed for the 6TH & 7th,

AMC Classic 18 6596 North W St Pensacola Fl

edit on 4-1-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Has anybody mentioned that films get swapped over on the Thursday ready for the Friday going into the weekend.
Historically it is a quiet time of the year as film releases try and come out before Christmas.
I'm not saying there isn't something odd going on, I'm just taking it with a pinch of salt.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: doorhandle

Yeah it is all a bit weird - did the same check here in the UK and same result.

Let's see what the date brings... Let's just see.

P.s that 666 days is a bit hmmmmm right?

- G

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I guess they are "experiment" something

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: SeaWorthy
Our lock down is supposed to only be for a few weeks.
Weird.

Just to flatten the curve?

OP...Yea we're locked down again here.

Our rollover to 5G here in rural Northern Ontario is not going smoothly. I'm constantly getting disconnected and have to manually connect to the old Net....sux

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I am usually a lurker here but had to come out for this one..love this site by the way! Anyway in my area Cinemark theaters are doing the same but not all of them oddly enough and not all starting on the 6th some started only showing 355 on the 7th with another movie called Poupelle of Chimney town. I look at about a 50 mile radius thinking it depends on the theater screen count and it does not. Smaller and larger theaters are doing this regardless of screen count. However, not every theater is doing this and some of the larger ones that are have no need to show only one movie they see a lot of foot traffic and NO we are not locked down or going into lock down in my state.

I know its a long shot BUT nothing surprises me anymore. What if theaters only showing 355 are targets? Targets for what I dont know..but what better way of getting a message out without getting a message out? Just a crazy thought..

I did find this article but its the AP so take it with a grain of salt and I never remember this happening before but I am not always watching movies either. Someone that goes to the movies regularly would have to chime in.

apnews.com...

edit on 4-1-2022 by Kratos77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 09:14 AM
link   
lol some of ya'll and your paranoia is funny as hell to see. I checked my area last night thru Marcus Theatres and movies galore within 200 mile radius at their sites. We had an AMC theatre and they closed during the pandemic but they were really struggling to stay afloat before that. Old theatre with no upgrades. The only thing they had going was $5 movie days but then Marcus started to offer something similar. I think AMC is about to go belly up.
edit on 4-1-2022 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 09:21 AM
link   
tl;dr, movie options in theaters haven't changed much here.

Just throwing in my observations. The local theaters around here are showing more than two movies. Less than usual, I'd say. However, we don't often go to the movies. The few times we've had since they reopened, they are offering a handful of films. I'm pretty jaded when it comes to new movies. Pessimistic that what's advertised and hyped will turn out to be crap and the like. More often than not, I am correct. So yeah, I still have the option to see all the crap MCU and whathaveyou. (My MCU jab aside, I actually did enjoy Shang Chi).

ETA: The industry may have figured out that more people are interested in watching from home, streaming. So in turn, they spend less money on getting films out to as many theaters as possible. Idk. That could account for less options at your local theater. Depending on where you live and whatever analytics their looking at.

My parents, for example, go for the streaming from HBO Max and whatever else. Closest theater, other than a small locally owned one that I think does only have a few screens, is 30 minutes away at least. So they do the streaming. It's really nice. Comfort of your own home and all of that jazz. The rental is good for a day or two as well. Not to mention, you can view it with as many people that can fit into your living room, and you save money on snacks.

edit on 1-4-2022 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Maybe its a marketing ploy. Look how much attention this issue has gotten now. Is it possible the theatres were paid to do this as it would help bale them out from the shut downs & the film makes more money from all the advertising from the controversy?

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Wait, you guys can afford to go to movies?

*snickers and chucklers*

Haven't received my social credit score yet so I don't know......

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato
AMC Classic 6596 North W St Pensacola Fl ,

12 Movies and times listed for the 6TH & 7th,

AMC Classic 18 6596 North W St Pensacola Fl

Thankyou Mr. J. GATO! Why'd you quit Impractical Jokers?🤔

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join