It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wordle - A puzzle word/mathematical problem challenge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Hi.

So there's this free site that has a daily word challenge.

www.powerlanguage.co.uk...

You are given six chances to correctly solve for the five lettered word answer.

If the first five turns taken, you use 5 different letters on each attempt, you would use up 25 out of the possible 26 letters in the alphabet.

Essentially making your last and final turn simply solving an anagram, even though such a guess could still be incorrect.

So here's my question on this.

How would one find 5 different words, all with different letters on each of them, to get to that 25 unique letter guesses during these turns?

Hope I made my post somewhat understandable.

Looking forward to any responses.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Steffer

The internet...

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I just did it in 3 guesses I used Start as my first word and the STR were in the word in the wrong location, my second words was Treks where the letters were in the correct places, knowing that and the vowels I used my third guess was the word “truss” and that was the winning word, it took me a little over a minute
edit on 3-1-2022 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

The internet...

Yeah, I kind of get that, but I'm wondering if it's even possible.

For example, let's start out with something that will probably not go anywhere.

First guesses:
TRUMP
BLACK
YODHS

All different, yes?

So that's fifteen letters down.

The remaining 10 out of 11 letters left, EFGIJNQVWXZ, one would need to find two acceptable words using those.

Doesn't seem likely, which means one would need to start all over again from the start.

I'm posting and asking in this thread because there's so many users here with massive IQs, and I also don't like Reddit.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Truss

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Idk didn’t seem that hard. I thought it was amusing the winning word is actually a building/engineering term but given the spread using a double consonant made sense for me instead of racking my brain for a word that may not exist within the rule set laid out by my first two guesses. Like I said took like a minute and some change to figure out and I’m the ats village idiot.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I beat you too it 😝 neener neener neener

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 01:41 AM
link   

The most frequently used vowels are E, A, I. The most frequently used consonants are R, S, T. Using that to assemble some basic 5 letter combinations it's basically a statistics and logical deduction game. It would be much more challenging if there were 8 letters instead of 5. Thanks for the recommend, I just bookmarked it.

Reminds me a bit of that mastermind game where you have to guess the color sequence your opponent arranges from the pegs but that only uses a combination of 4.

edit on 3-1-2022 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 02:02 AM
link   

No i know that seemed like I was being sarcastic but legit...the very next post was someone solving it and explaining how they did it. I legit meant it as your are in the eight place to get some help/explainations.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 03:58 AM
link   
My word was "truss", took me four guesses and about 4:13.

Most of the five letter words I could even think of were not in their dictionary, so I doubt a five word set which uses simple heterogeneity of characters or placement is going to grant much leverage. I admit that is how I approached it at first, but thought better of it quickly. You would be better off simply ruling out uncommon words, and especially ones with uncommon double consonants, vowel arrangements, or vowel placement relative to consonants. It is really just a game of utilizing good luck and abetting bad luck by leveraging likelihood respective to your own vocabulary. As knowing a character is contained in the puzzle does not always grant you an indication of where, it is a game of managing probability and not a task of brute force.
edit on 3-1-2022 by AstroDog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 05:14 AM
link   

This reminds me of the 'Mastermind' game I had as a kid.

Mastermind (board game)
edit on 1/3/22 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 05:38 AM
link   
It took me a few tries before I realized names won't work & it has to be an regular normal word.

I have just reached the conclusion that I don't actually know very many 5-letter words.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 05:57 AM
link   
There must be a reason for having only 1 game per day.

A program should be able to generate game after game after game etc....

But this has one game, the same word for everyone.

Maybe they want people to learn these specific words?

Or they just want you to keep coming back day after day after day, but why?

Or is the reason for only 1 word per day just another puzzle that needs solving.

Because there does have to be a reason right? There must be, but what is it?

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I beat you too it 😝 neener neener neener

Hahaha lame

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 08:28 AM
link   
spam
edit on 3-1-2022 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 11:21 AM
link   

How would one find 5 different words, all with different letters on each of them, to get to that 25 unique letter guesses during these turns?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose though? Isn't the point to use and exercise your brain? If you discover five five-letter words with all different letters, you just do the same thing every time and jump to an easy word jumble.

ETA: Aside from that though, it does pose an interesting challenge to come up with five five-letter words with all different letters.

Tips: Use V, X and Z first. Only one vowel per word. S and Y can turn many four-letter words in to five-letter words, so save them for the last two if you can.
edit on 1/3/2022 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Being as you are in the US you wouldn't know that a game show called "lingo" has been on the UK TV for a number of weeks with just this scenario.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Can’t do 5, but here’s 6. (With a Welsh word lol)

Cwm
fjord-bank
glyphs
vext
quiz.

Do I win the medal or the paper gerbil?

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Next word is siege

Boom mic drop

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 06:38 AM
link