It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grocery prices are getting scary

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: JAGStorm

For instance, in 2020, 200 pounds of elk cost me $1.

In 2021 the same 200 pounds of elk cost me $1.50.

Where oh where can I buy elk at such prices? Do they ship?

I'm serious, I'm now almost 100% carnivore and looking for sources for meats that won't break the bank. Currently, buying grass fed/finished by the whole cow is one way to get a much better price, and I'm willing to do the same for elk, bison, moose, or other red meat sources.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

People are going to have to re-learn how to shop for food. Boxed, processed foods are always more expensive and usually only supply one meal. Staples like rice, beans and veggies are usually cheaper, healthier, and go farther. Americans already eat way too much meat, the healthy amount of meat you are supposed to consume a week is about the size of your fist balled up. My plan is to cut the meat way down, and learn to cook tasty food that will give you leftovers. Indian food keeps coming to mind, its mostly cheap ingredients, spices, tastes great, and you can stretch it.

I am reminded of when I was a child, when we had meat on Sundays, and only had meat any other day, if there were leftovers.

Maybe roast beef on Sunday, roast beef sandwiches and gravy on Tuesday, roast beef soup on Thursday. Always seafood on Friday.

It was not uncommon for us to go meatless for weeks.

Strange thing. I don't remember really caring about what we ate. You sat down at the table and you ate whatever was put in front of you.

You were more interested in getting back outside before the sun went down.

We were all healthy. Rarely got sick. Eight of us, and never missed a day of school.

My mother attributes this to Father's John and undershirts.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 08:19 AM
link   
If meat prices are going up, try some cheap vegan protein options and add some fresh veggies.

A balanced vegan diet is great for heart health, so give it a shot instead of switching to cheap meats, pastas, and cheap diary when prices go up.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Looks like we are getting a little closer to your Utopia buddy.......a reply to: AaarghZombies

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: CptGreenTea
If meat prices are going up, try some cheap vegan protein options and add some fresh veggies.

A balanced vegan diet is great for heart health, so give it a shot instead of switching to cheap meats, pastas, and cheap diary when prices go up.

< Cackle >

Always funny watching people plug the vegan "diet" and expect it to be more affordable.

In case you haven't noticed, Spiffy, your dried beans & fresh veggies are spiking in price. Vegetarian chili costs almost more in ingredients than a meat chili. Give it til spring, bet it's more astronomical by then for either bowl typle.

And if you suggest pre-made options, why? So I can buy a 20 oz bag of veg nuggets for $7 a bag again? You're missing the point of "affordable" here, hoss, affordable doesn't give a # about your rabbit food eating ethics, so I'm picking MEAT over vegan (especially vegan) food, because AFFORDABLE.

You're going to be as hungry as everyone else soon enough when beans are the last affordable, easily stored protein option. As it stands, rye & barely flours are impossible to find in person, so guess which diet type gets to share their proverbial hauls with the masses in the stores?
You. And it's not plentiful.

Hope you have the balls to compromise now & then with what's on your plate when you get hungry enough.
edit on 1/3/2022 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Beans and rice are very low cost. Much more ethical and healthy than buying the cheapest meat possible for your chili. Also, the extra ingredients are up to you. You don't need to buy more veggies just because it's veggie chili.

Secondly, frozen nuggets or other frozen meals are expensive no matter if it's vegan or meat. That's why I was suggesting a balanced whole foods diet. Not frozen.

Sure, you could probably find cheap Walmart nuggets, but not very healthy!

It's a true lie that a vegan diet that consists of whole foods(not frozen) is unaffordable. If beans are much higher than meat, I suggest shopping somewhere else!

And for the third part, what are you even talking about? Sure, I'd have to eat meat if I was starving and it was my only option.

However, that's not what OP is even talking about or even a rational possibility at this point.

It's funny how some of you meat-only eaters act when suggesting to try some healthy vegan options as alternatives throughout the week.

edit on 3-1-2022 by CptGreenTea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: CptGreenTea

I would consider myself more lazy vegetarian, and yes, it's costlier to eat whole vegetarian than whole omnivore. It's not a matter of shopping elsewhere, because that balance of minerals, vitamins ns, protein, carbs ALL cost more than it should. Theoretically, eating like an herbivore should be substantially cheaper, but it's not.

And evidently, you're only setting one plate at the table, not 4 or more. Perspective & ethics change when you're feeding more than thou.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 09:07 AM
link   

If you live rural you'll find locally sourced meat at a fraction of the cost of grocery stores, raised to the highest standards and ethically sourced. To give an example, I just placed a chicken order with a local farm, 80 pounds of thighs and 40 pounds of breasts, all boneless and skinless (I do separate orders for whole birds), total cost $234. The closest big chain grocery store the exact same order (for chicken I do not know the source of) is $438.80 currently. I know not everyone has the ability to buy in bulk, but that helps significantly, especially when buying locally sourced anything.

The same holds true to locally sourced fruits and veggies. In fact a lot of the cost in those for me is going to be in physical labor and power expenditures to harvest, dehydrate, or can items.

This is a supply chain issue, the closer you are to the source, the cheaper your prices will be.
edit on 1/3/22 by Hypntick because: Clarification

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Yes, the prices have increased in stores and meat is really bad right now. The inflation is getting worse but I feel not many people know how to shop wisely and most Americans can't cook with a crap. People don't know how to keep staple foods in their homes or they are alwats running to the store for something. I think if people had staple foods on hand, shopped wisly and knew how to use their food wisely, they would be okay.

Staples in my house are milk, butter, eggs, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, bread, rice, pasta, beans, flour and sugar. If people had these items in their house at all times they wouldn't be buying frozen foods. Also having a freezer full of meat, like buying items in bulk when they are on sell is also a good practice that most people don't do.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

See that's what we do, we buy sale items, for most of the part. If we need medicine or heartburn medicine we buy it for full price. If store has rewards we sign up for those.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   

One shouldn't have to rely on cheap unethical meats because they have multiple children. If you can't afford to feed children healthy meals, you shouldn't have them.

Also, I was saying vegan meals can serve as great alternatives if meat prices go up.

And perhaps its always cheaper for you to eat omnivore but how many people are spending tons on meat every night when adding some veggie alternatives could easily cut their costs down.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Beans and rice are very low cost. Much more ethical and healthy than buying the cheapest meat possible for your chili. Also, the extra ingredients are up to you. You don't need to buy more veggies just because it's veggie chili.

Secondly, frozen nuggets or other frozen meals are expensive no matter if it's vegan or meat. That's why I was suggesting a balanced whole foods diet. Not frozen.

Sure, you could probably find cheap Walmart nuggets, but not very healthy!

It's a true lie that a vegan diet that consists of whole foods(not frozen) is unaffordable. If beans are much higher than meat, I suggest shopping somewhere else!

And for the third part, what are you even talking about? Sure, I'd have to eat meat if I was starving and it was my only option.

However, that's not what OP is even talking about or even a rational possibility at this point.

It's funny how some of you meat-only eaters act when suggesting to try some healthy vegan options as alternatives throughout the week.

The prices of vegetables and even staples like beans and rice are going up and will continue to rise. If the majority of people suddenly started becoming vegans, you would actually find the supply of your vegetables diminishing and the prices spiking rapidly.

Humans are omnivores; survival machines, so they can eat what they want, but for most people vegetarianisms is a modern diet wholly reliant on the supply chain and year round shipping of vegetables from warmer climates. There is reason that only a couple of generations back, if people didn't can their vegetables, there wouldn't be any for the whole winter.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: themessengernevermatters

Fair point, but most of us rely on the supply chain. And factory farming is also a modern diet. How many of us would survive without the supply chain? Very few have the community connections, knowledge and materials to survive if there was a catastrophic collapse.

You may be right. Rice and beans may be going up and continue. But if you want the cheapest ethical meal, it's going to be vegetarian/vegan despite rising prices.

I used to eat sustainable ethical meat (at least as ethical as one could buy) and it was fairly expensive.

Although, as Hypntick pointed out. The closer to the supply chain, the cheaper things become.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Lots of people are triggered by the suggestion to eat a vegan meal once in a while.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Fair point, but most of us rely on the supply chain. And factory farming is also a modern diet. How many of us would survive without the supply chain? Very few have the community connections, knowledge and materials to survive if there was a catastrophic collapse.

You may be right. Rice and beans may be going up and continue. But if you want the cheapest ethical meal, it's going to be vegetarian/vegan despite rising prices.

I used to eat sustainable ethical meat (at least as ethical as one could buy) and it was fairly expensive.

Although, as Hypntick pointed out. The closer to the supply chain, the cheaper things become.

Oh I didn't say we didn't and I am not against veganism and vegetarianism. I was just pointing out that the idea that everyone can suddenly go vegetarian and it will save us all from the current problems, is just naïve and wishful thinking. Everyone, will feel the pinch eventually.
edit on 3-1-2022 by themessengernevermatters because: typo

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Check out Atlantic Spice Company.
They sell Bulk but prices are very reasonable.
I buy all my Spices from them.

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: Nickn3
I went to the grocery this morning. The shelves were as full as normal for the season. The prices were up by at least 35% over last year. Something strange, I couldn’t find chilli powder. What’s up with that?

Milwaukee has a huge spice hub. There has been something weird going on with it since the pandemic started.
I’m not sure if it all supply chain related, Covid, or political. I know we’ve had limits on our spices for at least a year now.

I’m going to grow all the spices/herbsI can this year.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Everyone should stock up on some Survival Food.
It's a bit Pricy but we will all need food soon the way i see it.
Also you have to think how much you and yours survival is worth.
Just my Opinion.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 10:51 AM
link   

If you think it's bad now, wait until the minimum wage increases. All those bums screaming for it, calling it unfair to be making so little, will learn a very important lesson that about minimum wage and inflation.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluesman462002
Everyone should stock up on some Survival Food.
It's a bit Pricy but we will all need food soon the way i see it.
Also you have to think how much you and yours survival is worth.
Just my Opinion.

Rice and beans are cheap, very cheap. Can goods are on the rise but still cheap enough. I have two 5-gallon buckets full of rice and beans and still buy more when I pass them in the grocery store. I can get plenty of deer, squirrel, rabbits, and sometimes a hog on the back of my property, plus I have two ponds stocked with fish. But I certainly 100% agree with you about stocking up.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Fair point. And I didn't mean to suggest everyone can go vegetarian to save our pockets. I'm vegan for ethical reasons and I hope the trend of rising vegetarians/vegans will continue despite rising prices all around.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join