It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grocery prices are getting scary

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Alaskan crab legs- $90 per lb
Dungeoness crab meat- $35 per 12oz deli container

Those Alaskan legs used to be $19.99 LB for years. 3 months ago they were $29.99. ( 1 big claw leg for $30)

I live in Florida. You should see the cost of fish, oranges, and lemons.

It's a jungle out there, but you can still starve, if you are depending on grocery stores.
edit on 2-1-2022 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Americans suffered during the era of the Dust Bowl, the great depression, and war time rationing.

"And country folks will survive"
Hank Williams Jr.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Man, I’d be eating those lizards you have down there, and don’t you guys have feral pigs?

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Topcraft

Man, I’d be eating those lizards you have down there, and don’t you guys have feral pigs?

Indeed we do. Wild pigs and a bunch of other feral critters.

We also have a lot of other wild edibles, that most people call weeds.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Americans suffered during the era of the Dust Bowl, the great depression, and war time rationing.

Which is precisely the point. These are signs of great depressions, Globally this time. It may have been experienced and survived before as a society but a lot of people died in those times. That is not something we should turn aa blind eye to when the writing is on the wall.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 09:23 PM
link   

If I couldn’t live here anymore, I’d think about Florida. It’s 6 degrees where I am. Bet it’s at least 20 by you.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Smigg

Are you saying that lots of people should just starve?
Can you explain?

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I saw an article the other day attributing some of our food (meat) inflation to U.S. farmers selling to CHINA, instead of to U.S. food processing companies.

Could be true, since money seems to be rising to GOD-like level of importance in America.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 10:14 PM
link   

If I couldn’t live here anymore, I’d think about Florida. It’s 6 degrees where I am. Bet it’s at least 20 by you.

23 here right now, but much warmer earlier.

In Florida, there is something growing or blooming all the time.

Florida has its pros and cons, but you would have to be too sick, or just not desperate enough, not to be able to find something to eat in Florida.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Wasn't too long ago that we paid $5 for a head of iceberg, and two tomatoes. And promptly # ourselves when we saw what we paid & what we got for it sunk in

When the # did iceberg hit $3 a head?! The tomatoes I can understand, but that's over a buck more than normal for winter iceberg pricing.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

And if the price isn't going up, the amount you get for what you pay is going down which is effectively the same thing.
edit on 2-1-2022 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 11:00 PM
link   
As a cyclist, we've been eating pasta for long rides (40-100+ miles) on the regular. Some people will tell you that in the last few years the superfoods (think quinoa) are the go-to food but those will be the FIRST to become unavailable because of price and supply chain problems.

There is NOTHING wrong with low-cost eating unless you are a lazy person.

I eat a HUGE bowl of oatmeal (1 cup, when uncooked) and then jump on a bicycle for hours a day.

I'm in the best shape of my life.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
As a cyclist, we've been eating pasta for long rides (40-100+ miles) on the regular. Some people will tell you that in the last few years the superfoods (think quinoa) are the go-to food but those will be the FIRST to become unavailable because of price and supply chain problems.

There is NOTHING wrong with low-cost eating unless you are a lazy person.

I eat a HUGE bowl of oatmeal (1 cup, when uncooked) and then jump on a bicycle for hours a day.

I'm in the best shape of my life.

Not all people that eat healthy eat oatmeal. Some are protein heavy, some eat ethnic foods.
That’s great that you exercise, and can eat well on a budget, but that is just not the reality for a lot of people.
Is some of it laziness, sure, but not all. Quality meats are up across the board, eggs are up, dairy. All forms of produce. Organic foods are up. If anyone does Keto or Paleo their costs are up big time.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

I lived off of oatmeal, and Mac and cheese for a while when I first went on my own, can’t remember what the oatmeal cost, but the Mac and cheese was 5 boxes for a buck. How times have changed.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 12:31 AM
link   
it's not just in places like North America where this is happening. i suspect it is world wide. and while things like the pandemic, supply chain disruptions, people getting needed pay raises/pay raises to get workers, and even things like crops being wiped out due to storms, all do play a part in that rise, i don't think they are really the BIG reason for the price increases.

prices were already starting to climb, before the pandemic, and most of that. and the BIG reason is oil, and thus fuel prices rising, in a large part thanks to liberals, such as democrats, and all the others in the [i[green movement. fuel prices quite literally effect everything. it raises the cost of seed/material delivery to farmers. then it raises the cost to the farmer for any equipment used to grow/raise food,and harvest it. it raises the cost of crops and animals picked up from the farmers and delivered to processing and warehouses to be processed and sold. it then costs more to transport those food products to other middlemen, and then transporting to stores and markets. every single step from start, till you get the food home, costs a lot more when fuel prices go up. even the cost of all electricity used along the way from farm to table goes up when fuel prices go up.

it is even something that has been on the news almost daily since a few months before the pandemic. both the raising costs of fuel, and the constantly raising food prices. there are some fresh foods costing more than FOUR TIMES what they cost in 2018 (while prices on (while the prices of processed foods, even imported processed foods, really have not changed much). and this is a real problem in a poorer country, where most people rely on fresh foods to eat (processed foods generally being a more expensive luxury). this is something that is becoming a very serious concern as many people can not afford much more food than rice now (and rice prices have gone up as well).

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 12:38 AM
link   

a reply to: Tempter

I lived off of oatmeal, and Mac and cheese for a while when I first went on my own, can’t remember what the oatmeal cost, but the Mac and cheese was 5 boxes for a buck. How times have changed.

at one point when i was broke, i tried to live off things like raman noodles, since it was about the cheapest "food" i could get. i literally almost (unknowingly), starved to death from doing so. got lucky and passed out at a party a friend took pity on me and took me to, where there were a couple nurses in attendance. when they got me to come to, they quizzed me on what i had been eating and freaked out at me. because even though my "belly was" being satisfied, there is almost no nutritional value in it. and had thus been actually starving. i was apparently severely malnourished at that point, from a couple or so months of eating that crap.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

there are some fresh foods costing more than FOUR TIMES what they cost in 2018

I am very lucky that I can grow a lot where I live during the warm months. We have rich fertile lands and plentiful water.
We also have a lot of mature nut trees everywhere.
I think fruit will be a luxury pretty soon so I am preparing.

I’ve learned a lot about growing strawberries, blueberries and raspberries over the last few decades.
There are definitely some tricks. I am fortunate to have a couple of very mature apple trees that produce thousands of apples. They have an off year and an on year. The one year would be enough for my entire neighborhood. I picked this house/area with the exact thought that these things may be very expensive or hard to get at some point.
edit on 3-1-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Alaskan crab legs- $90 per lb
Dungeoness crab meat- $35 per 12oz deli container

Those Alaskan legs used to be $19.99 LB for years. 3 months ago they were $29.99. ( 1 big claw leg for $30)

That explains why my favorite all-you-can-eat Crab Leg restaurant has transitioned over to Lobster.

www.crabcellar.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: justdust
a reply to: Smigg

Are you saying that lots of people should just starve?
Can you explain?

No and no.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

People are going to have to re-learn how to shop for food. Boxed, processed foods are always more expensive and usually only supply one meal. Staples like rice, beans and veggies are usually cheaper, healthier, and go farther. Americans already eat way too much meat, the healthy amount of meat you are supposed to consume a week is about the size of your fist balled up. My plan is to cut the meat way down, and learn to cook tasty food that will give you leftovers. Indian food keeps coming to mind, its mostly cheap ingredients, spices, tastes great, and you can stretch it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join