It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civil Debate Please - Why do you refuse to wear a mask?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I'm going to be completely civil no-matter how much hate I get.. but I've been wearing a mask in indoor public spaces (UK) since the pandemic began. When it was mandated, when it wasn't mandated, it didn't matter to me, it just seemed like a very easy thing to do.

I own a mask, it's free to wear, and there is evidence that wearing a mask can limit transmission of particles expelled from your nose and mouth, that is why they are used in healthcare all the time, pandemic or not.

I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with people who decide not to take the vaccine, it's a medical procedure, and it's not my place to judge those that decide they do not want a medical procedure, for the people that aren't vaccinated - I respect your decision.

But I'm slightly different on the mask situation. We know at the very very least that they are not harmful to use, and regardless of what you believe the benefits of them are, if you know they aren't harmful, why don't you wear one in public places?

Please don't be salty towards me, this is a genuine question and I'm not looking to exchange insults.

Love you and Happy New Year.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: AverageWang

I am claustrophobic and I've always had real trouble with stuff over my face, especially tightly. If it's below zero degrees F outside, I'll still be the one without a scarf because it bothers me that much. If I fall asleep and later on get blankets pulled over my face, I've been known to wake up in a panic because of it.

I also have asthma. It's mostly exercise induced, but I was a track & field athlete for years, and this always triggered it. At this point, my brain tends to react to any restriction in air flow like it's asthma whether it is or not.

Between the two issues, I tend to end up hyperventilating a lot with a mask, and I've had a few outright panic attacks.

So I tend to not wear one unless I absolutely have no other choice.

My son, on the other hand, has a hearing disorder and tends to rely in part on reading lips in order to communicate. For him, a mask is a bar to communication. It's not as bad once he's familiar with a person's voice, but when interacting with strangers, a mask makes things much more difficult for him. He feels as if he's been partially locked out of the world for the past two years.
edit on 31-12-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I'll bite.

Because you cannot wear them all the time so their effectiveness as a policy tool is questionable. If someone who is high risk wants to wear a mask, then they should. However, the issue many people have is the mandate for masking, particularly among groups like children / kids who are already at low risk.

There are larger societal issues that the mask create that also have to be considered as well. It isn't just c19. You can't claim to have saved lives from c19 while causing death and mayhem somewhere else which is what policy makers seem to be doing.

+50 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I'd say 99% of the population doesn't know how to wear a mask properly.

They become petri dishes for respiratory bacteria and viruses over time.

99% of the population have not been fit tested, thus negating the efficacy of masks.

People wearing masks are often touching their faces before and after donning masks, negating the efficacy of masks.

Masks are a symbol of obedience and virtue signaling.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I get headaches for days after having to wear a mask for 5 hours or longer.

+22 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Because I am my own person and I don't need someone telling me what to do.

Masks make me claustrophobic. When someone tries to choke you by putting their hand over your mouth, yea a mask isn't something you want to wear. I also wear glasses and they fog up and'/or fall off.... So yea no I am not wearing a mask for a hyped up cold.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

There is that too. Most people who wear them have them slung under their nose.

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I happen to believe trapping extra heat and humidity in my lungs is unhealthy for me. The masks do very little to slow transmission. I think people that are concerned should limit their social engagements and public outings. When I go on a diet I don't force everyone else to join me, I suggest everyone deals with their health concerns as they choose, but do not infringe on my liberties

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Simply to give virtue signalers and morons something to talk about.

Its all about giving back....really.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Simply to give virtue signalers and morons something to talk about.

Its all about giving back....really.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Masks are a symbol of obedience and virtue signaling.

Exactly!!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I’ll just leave this right here 👍

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Happy New Year and love to you as well!

Though none of these following directly effect me, I'll add a few harmful effects of masks:

All the gains hearing impaired get from lip and expression reading is gone--further isolates people with this disability.
Infants/toddlers need facial expressions to develop and socialize.
We all could use some expressiveness and connection but I'll stop there.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   
if masks where effective for less than 1b every person in America would have a half mask with a n52 filter we spent nearly 1T on just money handouts

No mask is made to filter exhaled breath none its ppe not biohazard containment the leaders of the world don't where them except for the cameras why should anyone else

For less than 1% of what was spent on the pandemic we could have proper masks instead they made proper masks against the rules and told you to put a t-shirt over your face

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I don't need a reason.

It is like this. You say I should wear a mask.
Does that mean that I must come up with a valid excuse for no wearing a mask?

Well, NO, I do not. No explanation is necessary

You see, I am a fully mature adult and you are not allowed to exercise authority over me

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I would like to know how you formed your opinion on masks?

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Me too. I wear a mask if I'm in a crowd like the grocery store or if I'm going to be with a group for a prolonged period like in a waiting room.
I don't wear it in my car. Or outdoors. I don't wear it in a restaurant.
But when I'm surrounded by the unwashed masses you bet your ass I wear one.
I haven't had a cold in two years!

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I don't wear a mask because I am not a bank robber.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 12:00 PM
link   
What's a mask?

Remember - Masks don't destroy a viral particle, they survive in the fibers.
Resulting in a viral particle being blown thru a sieve-like strainer, causing it to be attached to smaller droplets and float thru the air further.

CNN's Leana Wen: 'Cloth Masks Are Little More Than Facial Decorations'

This is an interesting article on the Subject.

a
Medical Journal Warns About Masks’ Potentially Devastating Consequences

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I do when I have to. I honestly don’t care either way.
But I have bad practices with them.
I’ll wear the same mask for 3 sometimes 4 days.

My work gives them to us, but doesn’t enforce when we need to change them.
Because I already had the ‘vid and been vaxxed twice, I’m more relaxed than I really should be and don’t worry about getting it again. If it happens it happens.

I just focus on me and my household and don’t really care what others do.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join