It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to drink with Russians on New Year's Eve

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Hello ATS!

I recently watched a pretty good French TV series "Bureau". It shows the methods of training scouts who were to work undercover. One of the techniques is to test the agent's resistance to alcohol. You need to drink a lot, and without eating, while they are trying to loosen their tongue.

This, I think, is being taught by intelligence officers in other countries. In the Mossad, for example, in the 60s of the last century, special courses were introduced for novice intelligence officers, in which they were taught the correct consumption of alcohol. And then there was an exam - a banquet was held with an unlimited amount of alcohol. The challenge is to drink a lot without getting drunk. Not everyone passed the test ...

Several American instructions on how to behave at a Russian party are circulating on the Internet. I cannot vouch for the authenticity, since the primary sources are not indicated. Therefore, I do not quote the texts, which are rather large in volume, but the basic principles of drinking vodka for the uninitiated, set out in these instructions, are very entertaining.

Here is just a small excerpt:

“Only the first three glasses of vodka are required. This will show people that you are an outgoing and friendly person. You can skip the next one or two glasses. To do this, you just need to say: "Ya propuskayu". This does not mean that you will not have to drink any more. This means that you, as a “weak” foreigner, are given the opportunity to gain new strength for the party ”...

And this is from another instruction:

“Russian people do not trust a foreigner, except for the case when he decided to have a drink with them. And Russians are the healthiest nation in the world. Only very healthy people can drink like in Russia! "...

It turned out that foreign diplomats and intelligence officers had taught their colleagues how to drink with the Russians for a long time.

Austrian diplomat Sigismund Herberstein, who twice visited Russia in the first half of the 16th century], instructed future envoys to Russia:

“They bring silver bowls and vessels, each with a certain drink, and everyone is trying to make the ambassadors drunk. And they perfectly know how to make a person drink; when they no longer have a reason to raise the cup, they finally start drinking to the health of the tsar (his brother), the sovereign (and, finally, to the well-being of those who, in their opinion, have any dignity or honor). They expect that no one should, and indeed cannot, refuse the cup in their honor ... Everyone has to go out one by one to the middle of the room and, having drained the cup, return to their place. Anyone who wants to avoid longer drinking should, if necessary, pretend to be drunk or asleep (or give them a drink), or at least (after draining many cups), assure that in no way can they drink more, because they are sure that it is good to receive guests and to treat them decently means to give them drink ".

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Shortly before the meeting on the Elbe in the spring of 1945, US Army personnel were handed out a brochure "Our Ally - The Red Army" prepared and published by the War Department. It contained 77 pages of recommendations on how to communicate with Russian soldiers, several colloquial phrases in English transcription were given, illustrations showed the uniforms and insignia of privates and officers of the Red Army, etc. But about how to drink with Russian soldiers - nothing was said there. And this was a serious flaw. They say that when the intense festivities lasted for several days, the commander of the 12th American group, General Omar Bradley, ordered or recommended that his subordinates eat 50 grams of butter before meals with the Russians, so as not to completely lose their combat readiness.

Bradley gained this experience before meeting with Marshal I.S. Konev, when he himself was given similar advice, so as not to drop the honor of the American flag.

General Bradley wrote in his memoir A Soldier's Notes:

“Russian banquets on the Elbe began with the headquarters of the divisions, and as this custom spread, the headquarters of formations and associations tried to outmaneuver each other in an abundance of snacks and drinks. Russian vodka and endless toasts to victory have already knocked down the officers of several headquarters. Some officers of the 1st Army headquarters did not escape this fate either. So I prepared for the May 5 banquet by swallowing as many buttered sandwiches at breakfast and emptying the can of condensed milk. Before leaving for the banquet, Dudley (military police sergeant - author) handed each of us a small bottle of mineral oil.

"Swallow it on the way," he said, "and you can drink whatever is poured for you."

Well, in conclusion, I will cite an excerpt from the book of the writer Alla Vladislavovna Sergeeva, who lives in Paris. Her book is called - "Useful advice to foreigners who are going to work in Russia":

“Russians have a lot of practice in drinking alcoholic beverages. In this sense, they are "stronger" than any Western person. If they are in good shape, they can handle quite large doses of alcohol and the most incredible mixtures. However, they, as a rule, do not lose the ability to stay on their feet. Don't try to compete with them on this. Demand, according to the "rules of good taste", the smallest (especially for vodka) glass, insist on it. Then you will be able to drink with them almost on a par, i.e. in one rhythm, without refusing to support the traditional order of making toasts, without fixing the indignant attention of others. "

And so that you don't get bored, on New Year's Eve I'll give you the old 2002 clip of the Russian singer of Georgian origin Grigory Leps "A glass of vodka on the table")))

Thank you and all of you Happy New Year!

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 04:14 AM
link   
20 bucks says I’ll drink all your vodka and come back for more 🍻

Cheers my friend

And a happy new year ya filthy animal

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
20 bucks says I’ll drink all your vodka and come back for more 🍻

Cheers my friend

And a happy new year ya filthy animal

Your bet is accepted, my friend)))
Let's check it out. when will the second meeting on the Elbe)))

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

Truly not soon enough

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
a reply to: RussianTroll

Truly not soon enough

I got crazy from google translation (((
I wrote when we will once again make a "meeting on the Elbe River".
Google turns out to be against our friendship (((

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Have a happy new years mate!

For me, I can drink lots of vodka as long as I don't mix it with anything else.

P

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
Have a happy new years mate!

For me, I can drink lots of vodka as long as I don't mix it with anything else.

P

The culture of drinking is different for different nations. I will go to my father tonight (my mother died last year), and I will celebrate the New Year with a huge number of snacks, lamb kebabs and kebabs. With our daughter, grandson and friends in other cities, we will be on video communication!

A lot will be eaten and a lot drunk today. I will raise a glass of vodka for my friends from our forum!
edit on 31-12-2021 by RussianTroll because: correct

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 06:56 AM
link   
How to drink with a Russian on New Year's Eve?

My best advice: DON'T!

I did it once. His wife saved me from utter destruction. It reality was a great, warm experience. Wonderful people.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Oops!
edit on 2021 12 31 by incoserv because: double post.

top topics

join