It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would real motion look like?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Ok, this is going to require a bit of explaining, so please bear with me.

The topic is a bit faulty, but I didn't know how to make it better, apologies for that.

I started to think about motion, and realized that all motion is basically 'relative', even if it is true and real. If you throw a ball, I see its motion because it moves in relation to the environment, the air, people, etc.

So continuing on these lines, we know that Earth both spins and moves - and our whole solar system moves and spins, as well as our galaxy, as well as.. - you get the idea.

Now, everything moves in relation to something else - I am not sure what the biggest unit to move in relation to the Universe is, maybe a supercluster of some kind. Everything moves, spins, pulsates, it's pretty remarkable, how alive the Universe is just thinking about all the motion from the sub-atomic to the super-clusteric level.

An airplane doesn't move spectacularly faster to the west than east, even though logically thinking, Earth's rotation to the opposite direction should make the plane superfast. I guess it's because the air and everything else spins together with the planet, so the airplane is simultaneously spinning really fast 'backwards' (with Earth) while moving really fast forward, relative to the ground.

However, now that we have dipped our minds into the cosmic scale a little bit earlier in this post, we can realize the airplane is not -only- moving in relation to the ground, but because the planet spins AND moves, the full, real, actual motion of the airplane is pretty hard to imagine.

Wouldn't it be amazing to see the -actual-, full, real motion of that airplane, taking into account ALL of its motion, including the planet's spin, the movement and spin of the solar system, galaxy, and so on? If we could remove all visual obstacles and just see the pure motion, what would it look like?

This is the kind of things I think about when it's early morning (or late night) and I have nothing to do..
edit on 30-12-2021 by Shoujikina because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Would the biggest thing in the universe that all things move 'around' not actually be moving at all? Or is this 'thing' also moving? And if so, what is it 'responding' to?

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Because if that thing is also 'moving', then maybe motion is not even a thing, and it is just a constant. And if that is the case, then when you throw a ball - then that is the true form of motion. Taking nothing from he cosmic 'motion' and only relying on the relative 'motionless' of the relative snipet of space.

And then, also, if everything exists in one place, in one infinitely small point, then nothing moves and everything is just an illusion.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Shoujikina

Now, everything moves in relation to something else - I am not sure what the biggest unit to move in relation to the Universe is

The Galactic Horizon .
The rest ?
Since we are not adapted enough to handle that type of motion , there would be a LOT of folks throwing up due to "sea sickness" .

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Wouldn't it be amazing to see the -actual-, full, real motion of that airplane, taking into account ALL of its motion, including the planet's spin, the movement and spin of the solar system, galaxy, and so on?

It isn’t at all hard to do in theory; just simple vector addition.

The trace would essentially be a superimposition of spirals, most of which would be elliptical rather than circular in cross-section.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

Would the biggest thing in the universe that all things move 'around' not actually be moving at all? Or is this 'thing' also moving? And if so, what is it 'responding' to?

There is no such thing. Gravity is interactive and acts on all objects in proportion to their mass. Every object in the universe experiences the attraction of every other object. Everything is in orbit round everything else.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

Because if that thing is also 'moving', then maybe motion is not even a thing, and it is just a constant.

Everything is moving relative to something.

'Every object remains at rest or in constant rectilinear motion unless subjected to a force or forces acting upon it.' -- Newton's First Law of Motion

'There are no privileged frames of reference.' -- Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity

Newton believed, as everyone did in the seventeenth century, that time moves at a constant rate for all observers. Anything that did not change its position over time was 'at rest'.

Einstein showed that time moves faster or slower depending on the motion of the observer themselves relative to some arbitrarily chosen reference point. If this is true, there can then be no special point in space or time which we can identify as being absolutely at rest. 'There is no privileged frame of reference,' as Einstein himself put it.

edit on 31/12/21 by Astyanax because: of relatively small things moving fast

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shoujikina
Ok, this is going to require a bit of explaining, so please bear with me.

The topic is a bit faulty, but I didn't know how to make it better, apologies for that.

I started to think about motion, and realized that all motion is basically 'relative', even if it is true and real. If you throw a ball, I see its motion because it moves in relation to the environment, the air, people, etc.

So continuing on these lines, we know that Earth both spins and moves - and our whole solar system moves and spins, as well as our galaxy, as well as.. - you get the idea.

Now, everything moves in relation to something else - I am not sure what the biggest unit to move in relation to the Universe is, maybe a supercluster of some kind. Everything moves, spins, pulsates, it's pretty remarkable, how alive the Universe is just thinking about all the motion from the sub-atomic to the super-clusteric level.

An airplane doesn't move spectacularly faster to the west than east, even though logically thinking, Earth's rotation to the opposite direction should make the plane superfast. I guess it's because the air and everything else spins together with the planet, so the airplane is simultaneously spinning really fast 'backwards' (with Earth) while moving really fast forward, relative to the ground.

However, now that we have dipped our minds into the cosmic scale a little bit earlier in this post, we can realize the airplane is not -only- moving in relation to the ground, but because the planet spins AND moves, the full, real, actual motion of the airplane is pretty hard to imagine.

Wouldn't it be amazing to see the -actual-, full, real motion of that airplane, taking into account ALL of its motion, including the planet's spin, the movement and spin of the solar system, galaxy, and so on? If we could remove all visual obstacles and just see the pure motion, what would it look like?

This is the kind of things I think about when it's early morning (or late night) and I have nothing to do..

it's aatter of perspective i guess.

it ain't the meat it's the motion?

edit on 31-12-2021 by sarahvital because: add

edit on 31-12-2021 by sarahvital because: fix

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 03:48 AM
link   
ok let me expound a bit. you won't see any motion if you are moving at the same speed?

you only know you're moving because the scenery is stationary, as in a car but if a car passes you going 5 mph faster than you it looks slow even at 90.

not sure what it would look like if you raced a beam of light tho or tried to catch up with it.

it's all kinda above my paygrade.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 07:35 AM
link   

This reminds me of the recording record thing. The outer rings move slower than the inner rings speed wise but in angular momentum they move the same speed.

I imagine if you have no visual frame of reference pure movement would look like nothing was moving

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 08:24 AM
link   

You need an observational frame of reference to even begin calculating relative motion.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Super glad I tabbed this. It's posts like this that I very much enjoy. I will ponder this and return with comments.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 01:12 PM
link   
What if,, when you got rid of everything else- it didn't move at all?a reply to: Shoujikina

new topics

top topics

join