It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The wussification of America is best exemplified by .....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: NorthOfStuff

When some people tell me to "Stay safe.", you should see the look on their faces when I reply "Not a chance."

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
a reply to: dontneedaname

It can also mean ....do what you have to or whatever it takes. Sometimes stay safe can mean defending what is yours at whatever cost. That is what I gather from that phrase when it is said to me.

Or it could mean, "Stay away from the Cops."

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   

What?!

Stay Safe to me means,

I love you and be safe. I personally don't say that to non family members.

On another note, I had a big boss once. He always told me "Drive Fast and take chances".
Dude was brilliant.
edit on 30-12-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I always tell my daughters "Be Safe" cause they are idiots and think they are gonna live forever, just like I was an idiot when I was their age.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Wear a mask wherever it makes you feel safer. Stay safe out there!

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thenail

Instead of” stay safe” . Maybe try “stay free “

I like that!

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
I always tell my daughters "Be Safe" cause they are idiots and think they are gonna live forever, just like I was an idiot when I was their age.

idiots will rule the world...because when you know you are, you will keep learning while the smarty-pants over-degreed (and often overpaid) class trip over themselves. Especially when the financial system goes more /less kaput in the next 10 years and all those digital digits disappear.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499
Oh yeah, I remember now. Carlin did a bit on that back in the day didn't he. Good old boy.
With that I leave you with the ATS version of all of that.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthOfStuff

“Stay safe”.

When I used this phrase in the past it was when we were ice climbing or motorcrossing.

Now it’s used every time we see someone about to step outside.

It removes all meaning. Sort of like “how ya doin?”

We say it without even expecting an answer.

Overuse of phases takes away from their real purpose.

By design or accident that’s what’s happening now.

Agreed.

I seldom / almost never say "how's it going?" And I hate it when people ask me in passing....especially people I don't know or seldom interact with much.

When doing more "dangerous" things, I don't think I've ever used this phrase. I might ask a specific question like - have you checked _____?

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Stay safe ?
How does one do that with the universe against them ?
It's called "probability" .
Better to say "beat the odds" .

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: NorthOfStuff

When some people tell me to "Stay safe.", you should see the look on their faces when I reply "Not a chance."

LOL, when I was younger I interpreted “stay safe” as “stay boring”.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: dontneedaname

originally posted by: NorthOfStuff

“Stay safe”.

When I used this phrase in the past it was when we were ice climbing or motorcrossing.

Now it’s used every time we see someone about to step outside.

It removes all meaning. Sort of like “how ya doin?”

We say it without even expecting an answer.

Overuse of phases takes away from their real purpose.

By design or accident that’s what’s happening now.

Agreed.

I seldom / almost never say "how's it going?" And I hate it when people ask me in passing....especially people I don't know or seldom interact with much.

When doing more "dangerous" things, I don't think I've ever used this phrase. I might ask a specific question like - have you checked _____?

You’re right “stay safe” is a lot like “common sense”.

Definitely open to interpretation.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I think it began when it we started the empty self-esteem movement.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: dontneedaname
the phrase STAY SAFE.

--

It's such a cowardly phrase.

By the way the word saFe is related to saVe.

While saving can be prudent (PRUDENTial Insurance - just noticed that), it can also make you a PRUDE. At some point saving too much is just a reflection of being (excessively) fearful and/or greedy.

The term is so nebulous and has emerged due to COVID. Who the # started saying this? Must have been some wuss on TV.

What does "stay safe" mean? Should I cower at home on endless Zoom calls while wearing a mask and taking a daily covid test?
Should I wear a mask in my car?

Or maybe it's just people expressing a humanitarian sentiment about your general welfare without being too wordy and awkward in the phrasing of it. Stop making problems where they don't exist.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I don't see a problem with it.
easier to say than 'Don't catch Covid or nothing.'

hows this for a sendoff:

Devil: "Remember; lie, cheat, steal, and listen to heavy metal.'

Bart Simpson: 'Yes sir!'
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fatboy527
When I was young the saying upon leaving a group was " be good". Mostly the females said it. The boy's were way more crude and direct. " Keep it between the ditch's bitch's " was quite popular. But the wussification as you call it is multifaceted animal...for one the LGBTAFGHLKUZXQM groups ...I hope I got all of them and they haven't added a new letter & I didn't know...don't want to slight anyone. These groups are running amok. Poor girls in school and college are having their sports just stripped away from them by those from one of the LGBTAFGHLKUZXQM groups.

I remember it as, “Be good, and if you can’t be good, be careful.” But then I’m a guy. Often my parting words to a loved one is either, “be good”, “be safe”, “ be careful”, “love you”, my all time favorite, “baby, keep the wigwam warm”.

It simply a term of endearment at parting.

Getting back on track, the days of men will be and women will be women is fading into the rear view mirror. There aren’t nearly as many real men left as there use to be. Men that would open a door for a lady, or give his coat to a lady. I actually saw that on the news once. A gentleman saw a shivering lady and took off his top coat and put it around her. The world press went nuts. Do you know who the gentleman was? It was the wife of the leader of Japan and Vladimir Putin.

We could learn a thing or two from Vlad.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 03:00 PM
link   

What are you on about?

Someone's a wuss if they tell someone to "stay safe"?? How the Hell does that even work??

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

He had a bit of a Leftist bent, but, more often than not he was dead on. He just made you chuckle and think about things in a different way.

Excuse me. I just found "The Best of George Carlin" on YouTube. This discussion has put me in the mood to listen to it.

edit on 30-12-2021 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

It's becoming a mantra. A cliche. I remember when the slogan ''have a nice day'' took off. It was kind of a hippie thing as I recall from that time. First it was young women with beads in their hair and pot in their heads. Then it started being used by window clerks at the local McDonald's. People say it and don't even think about it any more.

Reminds me of being in a restaurant when a server takes your order. The way they always say'' great choice'', making you feel special that your discriminating palette is some how superior to the general grubber that eats there. Yesterday I went through the drive through at Subway. They ask you all the questions about how you want the sandwich. When you answer whether or not you want it toasted, they reply with ''aw RIIIIIIIGHT'' as if you are doing it the right way rather than the wrong way. Two points for that choice.

Stay safe, at least requires some kind of request for increased consciousness. Pay attention out there, it's a bitter world. I won't be surprised though when somewhere down the line when the Subway window clerk hands me my sandwich and then tells me to Be Safe.

naw they probably have money on your choices. when they see you.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Man. Buns.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join